Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 03:05 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times

Advertisements

Well, not a food item but something I made at home today..... sidewalk chalk paint. My daughter has tons of sidewalk chalk (which is dirt cheap to buy) but beggged me for some of the liquid kind at Walmart the other day. It was $20 for a couple small bottles and she's go thru that pretty quick...

Googled it and found some people just ground the chalk and mixed with water and some people mixed corn starch/water/food color. I thought water and chalk might be too watery, but I dont like to use food color (worried about staining) so I did ground chalk/water/cornstarch.

And it actually worked pretty well for pennies compared to the store bought chalk (plus the store bought stuff came with a lot of non recyclable plastic packaging)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 09:07 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I agree with you. Or fruits, or bagged salads and those crazy Lunchable things that, I'm sure, could be made at home a lot cheaper. As a cashier I see what people buy every day and it amazes me. Gallons of Ice Tea are another one. I can make a gallon at home with one extra large tea bag. I notice the 'party trays' of fruits or veggies run around $13 and, if I'm willing to do the work myself, can probably be done for $5-6. And bagged sliced apples? Why?? All I can figure is laziness because it sure doesn't take THAT much time to cut things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
To me that's the height of laziness. Frozen pancakes? Frozen French toast? You're right, it's just as easy to make it yourself.

For pancakes I make my own mix and just keep it on hand. I add egg and milk and that's it. (Probably cheaper than buying pancake mix, I'm not sure). All it is, is flour, baking powder, salt, you can include powdered milk and then you don't even have to add milk. But I have to live dairy free so I add rice milk.

French toast--you just soak a piece of bread in some milk and egg. How hard is that. Fry it. Save money.
The "non-frugal" convenience items at the grocery store are still way cheaper than going out to eat. Usually they are healthier, too. Better to buy some pre cut veggies for your homemade meal than to declare slicing vegetables too much effort and go out to eat instead. Frugality isn't binary, it's a scale -- if you ask me, virtually anything bought at a grocery store is at least a little frugal, since it's not from a restaurant.

And specifically regarding the veggie and deli meat trays, I've had to buy those a lot for work meetings. It's looks nicer than bringing a bunch of old gladware containers.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:09 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
And specifically regarding the veggie and deli meat trays, I've had to buy those a lot for work meetings. It's looks nicer than bringing a bunch of old gladware containers.
Heh. You buy one - then take the tray and cover home from work and wash.
And the next time you do your own

Old 07-14-2014, 03:33 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Heh. You buy one - then take the tray and cover home from work and wash.
And the next time you do your own
Presentation is key. I prefer the fruit/veggie/cheese trays I put together myself, but I can't fault someone else who doesn't want to go to that effort or simply doesn't have the time. I actually have a few plastic and glass trays I use for potluck type events. If you're looking, you can usually find some nice ones on clearance at the end of the season. Or you can make do with a couple of pretty plates from home. Red, green or white plates and trays pretty much work for any holiday or season. I add fun things like Halloween spiders, pretty flowers or other doodads if I want to make it even fancier.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:31 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,016,782 times
Pulled pork BBQ. Just throw a pork loin or Boston Butt in the slow cooker with a can of root beer (!) and let it go for 8 hours. Shred it up with a couple of forks and add your sauce of choice and there you go.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:09 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
Pulled pork BBQ. Just throw a pork loin or Boston Butt in the slow cooker with a can of root beer (!) and let it go for 8 hours. Shred it up with a couple of forks and add your sauce of choice and there you go.
Didn't know about root beer.... I must try it... thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living