Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 07:46 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times

Advertisements

I don't carry cc balances so credit cards are not waste of money to me. I get back rebates, special offers, cashback, etc so cc's are actually money makers as long as you pay off everything each month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 07:05 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Well la-di-da princess ...those pizzas are delicious when I'm hungry or watching a game. They are almost as good as my favorite pizza....$0.76 frozen Totinos pizzas.
The best cheap pizzas I've ever had were the $3 Mamma Cozzi Deluxe Pizzas from Aldi.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:49 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Perhaps it's just me, but I thought the point of this thread was to reveal our personal wastefulness, not to argue about how we think other people waste their money. I would never presume to make blanket statements about others, because I'm am familiar with neither their financial resources nor priorities.

Last edited by randomparent; 07-24-2014 at 07:57 AM..

Old 07-24-2014, 10:11 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Perhaps it's just me, but I thought the point of this thread was to reveal our personal wastefulness, not to argue about how we think other people waste their money. I would never presume to make blanket statements about others, because I'm am familiar with neither their financial resources nor priorities.
I asked earlier and the OP said "either way"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I understood the OP as asking not what I was wasting money on, but what I felt was a waste of money overall. Now I see people listing what costs them too much money.

OP - which is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
either way. We all can find things to criticize about the way others spend money. Just wondering what some of us feel we waste money on as well.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:06 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I know I waste money on printer paper. When DH was working full time (from home) his company paid for all paper and we got careless about wasting paper. Need to make a list or jot a note? grab some paper from the printer. Can't find that recipe I know I printed out last week? Just print it again.

So now he is only part time and we are adjusting our paper usage. I try very hard to cut all recipes down to only 1 page (I have to use a really big font because of vision problems) I'm printing on the backside where applicable and making the kids conserve as well.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:26 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
Quote:
I know I waste money on printer paper. When DH was working full time (from home) his company paid for all paper and we got careless about wasting paper. Need to make a list or jot a note? grab some paper from the printer. Can't find that recipe I know I printed out last week? Just print it again.

So now he is only part time and we are adjusting our paper usage. I try very hard to cut all recipes down to only 1 page (I have to use a really big font because of vision problems) I'm printing on the backside where applicable and making the kids conserve as well.
Is there a Staples office supply store in your area? They have Free after rebate papers ALL the time.... I have stacks of paper that I can't use... all because I needed to use up Rewards, GCs, etc and when I have nothing else to buy, I'd cash in by buying some paper (getting money back when rebate arrives). The last time I spent money on office paper was ... way too long ago to remember and I bet I have enough to last me a lifetime.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:31 PM

Thanks- yes DH goes there all the time and I bet he knows about this. I'll check with him. Maybe some of our paper is coming from this. Still I shouldn't be wasting it like I do!

Old 07-25-2014, 11:09 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
How many generations of children have had their butts wiped with NOT warmed wipes and lived to be completely happy and successful adults? Honestly- that has to be the most useless contraption ever invented. I've never known anybody who used one successfully for more than a week or two.
I know. A warm wet wash cloth always worked pretty well for me! But they wanted it so I 'splurged'.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:10 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
I'm always shocked at how much people spend in bars. I can see it once in a while, but I know people who do it all the time. I mean, if you can't make your car payment is it really a good idea to hang out in bars two, three, four nights a week and spend money like you have an endless supply? I don't get it.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:15 AM

I don't drink so was absolutely shocked at how much a mixed drink costs. DD lives in Atlanta and she told me a drink there can cost more than $7-8 .Lord- I can get a whole meal for that. Don't poor mouth and then spend $5-=$60 on an evening out. Everybody needs some fun but f you are having money problems it seems to me eating and drinking out would be the first thing to cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living