Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 06:27 PM

95 posts, read 296,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
After drying your hands with a paper towel, you drape the towel on the dish rack to dry for reuse.

Yep, this is actually done by my xFIL; and all his frugality sure paid off. I should have been so wise!
This had me laughing, I also dry my hands on the paper towel and drape it on the dishrack for another use, its still clean, maybe I can use it to blow my nose and therefore save a kleenex. ? IF I blow my nose on it I DO throw it away...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 07:50 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Separate two-ply toilet paper into single ply and re-wind, now you have twice the toilet paper!

If you just do #1, don't flush, hang it on a towel rack to air dry and reuse

Old 09-03-2014, 09:27 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,940 times
Youscour the internet for the best product for the lowest price, then refuse to buy unless you find a coupon or discount for at least 10 percent off the sale price.

YOU have discount cards, coupons, phone apps for every coffee shop and restaurant within 50 miles. If you dont have one, you dont go there.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:27 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
Youscour the internet for the best product for the lowest price, then refuse to buy unless you find a coupon or discount for at least 10 percent off the sale price.

YOU have discount cards, coupons, phone apps for every coffee shop and restaurant within 50 miles. If you dont have one, you dont go there.
I use an app called Key Ring to digitally store my store cards rather than carry a thick wallet wherever I go. Occasionally, I'll come across a store that refuses to take that and requires that I use the physical card. Looks like they employ this mechanism to enforce store loyalty and signing up for 10+ cards is somehow beating the system.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:29 PM

354 posts, read 281,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I'm frugal where I can or want to be. I try very hard not to be a cheapskate or cheap. IMO, a cheapskate or cheap person takes advantage of someone else. Some of these examples scare me.
Yeah, compared to most of this I'm merely frugal. For example I can't remember the last time I bought coffee from Starbucks or their clones, yet I drink the stuff every day and buy & make the coffee at work for everyone.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:52 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,745,387 times
Whenever I visit a fast-food place, I always grab extra paper napkins. Most of the household tasks that paper towels are meant for (wiping down counters, draining oil from fried foods, etc.) can be done just as easily on fast-food paper napkins.
By my estimation, I have only bought maybe four rolls of paper towels in three years.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:16 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
To save water take a bath in the same water your wife used. Then use that bath water to fill your toilet tank for flushing...........

Old 09-05-2014, 08:18 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
always buy property below FMV
wear dead mans shoes a great deal (expensive shoes only)

Old 09-05-2014, 08:28 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
* I've been buying 1/2 gallon of 2% milk and diluting it with one 1/2 gallon of cold water to make a gallon. I use that in cooking and it's worked out fine.

* I buy bags of bacon ends and pieces at Aldi (or whenever I see them). These are cheaper than full strips of bacon and are great for flavoring bean dishes.

* When possible, I wait for the $5.99 hair cut coupons to come out. I also trim my own hair.

* I borrow TV shows for free on CDs from the public library. I also get movies there, too. It doesn't matter that they are old. I went without TV for a long time and there's a lot I haven't seen.

* I bought 3 VCRs and tapes on sale about 5 years ago. I watch over-the-air TV, so I need a VCR if I want to tape shows. I'm going to try to make those last until recording technology becomes cheaper.

* I hang out on the Internet instead of going to clubs or expensive events.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:10 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Try almost 30 years.
Since 1987, I have replaced a refrigerator, a floor lamp, and a mattress.
That's kind of what I was thinking.

I had a couch that I boughtin 1983 at a used furniture store for $163. I used it up until 2010 when I got another couch second hand. I figure it will last me for at least 30 more years.

Mattresses, on the other hand. You need to get new ones when the old ones peter out. Otherwise you get a sore back.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living