Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 08:28 PM

231 posts, read 462,444 times

Advertisements

I was having a conversation with a co-worker the other day about how much we are paying for car insurance. We both live in zipcodes that are considered high risk and thus push up the monthly rate we would be spending on car insurance. (I live on Miami Beach, and he lives in Downtown Miami).

However he told me that he is able to lower his rate considerable by registering his car in Orlando. This guy has never lived in Orlando, mind you. Is this a legal loop hole worth exploiting and has anyone else done something similar in order to lower they're insurance rate? I wanna save some cash!

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 09:21 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,341 times
I do that, but, I think if I get caught that isn't good.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:23 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
I have wanted to do that for the longest,as i live in Nj,the state with the highest car insurance.
High as in $300 monthly even though i never had an accident.

I see lots of people who live in Nj but have PA,North Carolina,and Iowa license plates.
I also know for a fact they actually live in Jersey,some were my relatives

Old 08-29-2014, 09:26 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityScape0322 View Post
I was having a conversation with a co-worker the other day about how much we are paying for car insurance. We both live in zipcodes that are considered high risk and thus push up the monthly rate we would be spending on car insurance. (I live on Miami Beach, and he lives in Downtown Miami).

However he told me that he is able to lower his rate considerable by registering his car in Orlando. This guy has never lived in Orlando, mind you. Is this a legal loop hole worth exploiting and has anyone else done something similar in order to lower they're insurance rate? I wanna save some cash!

Thanks,
Let me get this straight… you want to lie to your insurance company and potentially nullify the coverage you're paying for in order to save a few bucks?

It's not a loophole. It's called fraud (well, technically it's a material misrepresentation of facts). Better hope you don't get caught or ever need your insurance.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:10 PM

317 posts, read 747,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Let me get this straight… you want to lie to your insurance company and potentially nullify the coverage you're paying for in order to save a few bucks?

It's not a loophole. It's called fraud (well, technically it's a material misrepresentation of facts). Better hope you don't get caught or ever need your insurance.

Is nothing sacred anymore? Gota go my movie just finished downloading.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:38 AM

383 posts, read 641,454 times
It's legal for the Military to register, or get tags in the their home state. My son bought a car, came to AZ and saved some money.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:48 AM

24,521 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Birmingham, AL ran ability on vehicles with out of city tags a few years back and filled the city coffers. A lot of folks have week end houses on lokal lakes and rivers and registered their vehicles there.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:50 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,149 times
This is actually what I do. My dad lives in Lakeland, FL and I live in Largo, FL. Largo unfortunately has significantly higher insurance rates. I maintain that I live in "two" locations and use my dad's address on my insurance for cheaper rates.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:39 AM

924 posts, read 1,676,803 times
It will be an issue if you ever have to file a claim, especially if it involves lost wages. You will have to provide the name of your employer, dates of employment and copies of pay stubs to claim lost wages so how is it you are employed in a county more than 200 miles from your claimed "home?" Why did the accident take place so far from "home?" Why are all the doctors who are providing followup treatment located in Miami when you "live" in Orlando?

How many times are you prepared to lie to support the first lie should you have to file a claim?

Old 08-30-2014, 07:47 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
It will be an issue if you ever have to file a claim, especially if it involves lost wages. You will have to provide the name of your employer, dates of employment and copies of pay stubs to claim lost wages so how is it you are employed in a county more than 200 miles from your claimed "home?" Why did the accident take place so far from "home?" Why are all the doctors who are providing followup treatment located in Miami when you "live" in Orlando?

How many times are you prepared to lie to support the first lie should you have to file a claim?
Yeah idk... that is pretty far. Lakeland from here is 55 miles. It's pretty reasonable to believe I can live 55 miles away from work. Plus you know... I send mail to his place on some of my stuff too :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living