Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2014, 09:25 PM

37,477 posts, read 45,720,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Some people swear Tide is the absolute best laundry detergent, but I haven't seen much difference. I finally bought a small box to see how it works, but I've been usint it on already washed/used clothes, perhaps they are already too far gone? Or maybe I need to wash them several times in Tide to see the difference?

I've just been using the cheap stuff from Sam's club, it seems to work, but my clothes could be a bit brighter. Frankly, I don't care for the smell of Tide, but I notice they have a free and gentle version that's unscented. Does that work as well as regular tide?
I have never found anything to be as good as Tide with Bleach. It is all I use, but I only buy it on sale.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 05:15 AM

11 posts, read 18,148 times
Funny I just posted this in the daily frugal thread and then I saw this thread.

I use Nellie's all natural laundry soda today. It's in a giant 16.5kg tub, enough to do 1100 loads. I average about 3 loads a week, so it works out to less than 10 cents a load and will last me about 5½ years. Free delivery to my door, totally scent free, and no harsh chemicals. Can't go wrong with that!

I have used it (in a small version) for a year now and think it is hands down the best. Cleans anything, including the inside of my washing machine, it has never looked so good, no residue or film. Pretty much everything in my house is natural and scent free and now when I put on clothes (borrowed sweater) or sleep in a bed other than my own, I can distinctly smell whatever washing scent they used and sometimes it is overwhelming.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:21 AM

1 posts, read 7,085 times
Yea detergents can really be tricky, but nonetheless there is enough to match everyone's taste and style and need..

Old 09-13-2015, 11:40 AM

10,597 posts, read 12,032,461 times
I like liquid detergent and use the cheapest detergent I can find. I buy the biggest container of whatever is on special at the time. usually the cheapest thing Walmart or Big Lots has on the shelf.

Being an adult who doesn't get clothes "dirty" -- nor so "smelly" that even the most basic detergent won't clean them -- I don't see the need a "name detergent" like Tide, All, Gain, Wisk, etc. I noticed about 5 years ago that detergent prices went though the roof. I priced a large carry container of All and thought the store had gone crazy....but people are buying it. I'd NEVER pay those prices for laundry detergent. But someone is buying it, I guess.

My clothes are so old I never gave the "color brighter" issue a thought. I just need my clothes clean I don't need them to look brand new....20 years later. Sometimes I think people get too deep into thought, about things that don't need to be that complicated.

I have thought about trying Nellies -- just for the price -- but I really do prefer liquid. And I only spend about $5.00 a year on detergent as it is....so it's not like detergent is busting my budget and I HAVE to spend LESS money on detergent.

Old 09-13-2015, 02:28 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,622,427 times
Don't like Tide. Don't like the cheap stuff either. I've been using Purex liquid the past few years and love it. I always search for a coupon off and if I find one for $1 or more I buy 2...that way I never pay full price.

Old 09-13-2015, 02:40 PM

7,985 posts, read 5,346,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I have extremely sensitive skin and suffer from allergies. I have broken out in rashes, hives, and water blisters from various irritants. My allergist says stick with Tide, so I do. And yes, it is absolutely worth it to me.
A very long time ago, when my son was a baby, the Pediatrician told me to switch to Tide because of a rash on my son. I also heard to always use a cold water rinse because that is the best to wash away the detergent. I stick to the unscented.

Has been 30 years and I have always stuck with Tide. I didn't even know it was "expensive" until I read this post! I just buy what I need and what works.

Old 09-13-2015, 02:51 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,448,590 times
^^^ Totally agree.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:49 PM

389 posts, read 424,943 times
I love Tide with Febreeze!! Smells so good!! Feel guilty buying it though because it is so expensive. I usually buy Purex, doesnt smell nearly as good. The rock bottom cheap stuff is like water, refuse to buy that.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:04 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,899,343 times
We use Tide. Consumer Reports seems to like it

Old 09-13-2015, 10:11 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,866,910 times
We by Tide Pods when on sale and although many feel their more expensive we were using too much with bulk detergent. The Pods are sooo convenient as well. We tried other brands which were not cleaning stains and marks.

Last edited by openmike; 09-13-2015 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: formating issues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living