Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 05:58 PM

6,347 posts, read 11,540,651 times

Advertisements

Please don't force your kids to drink powdered milk if they don't like it. YuK. You may think you are doing them a financial favor, but exhibit A is my sister who became a spendaholic in reaction to mom's extreme frugality.

Me, I inherited the frugal gene but I will spend money on real, locally pasture grown milk and not give it a second thought.

Oh, and if you have to choose between foreclosure and real milk, you (or your neighbors) are living in too expensive of a house.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:07 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,135,741 times
Around here, dry milk is pretty much as expensive as real milk, though when I was younger it was considerably cheaper. I only keep it around for 'emergencies' when I run out and can't make it to the store. I also mix it with Coffee Mate to make an emergency creamer for my coffee.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:41 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 11 days ago)

43,465 posts, read 44,179,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Growing up, Mom once told us of how in the 60's, she saved money by having part of our milk as day old purchase (or something like that) and the other portion coming from powdered. I grew up on skim.

Now as an adult, I use powdered entirely. I find that not only does it vastly undercut the price of liquid but also in a world that is not too crazy about skim, I can be sure always to have a supply of it provided I keep a box on the shelf.

But looking at one of my threads that got closed over the weekend, it seems that the a view of powdered milk is another hoarder warning sign. Huh?

How can that be?
I had powdered milk when I lived for a year in Ecuador and I didn't really like the taste of it that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.