Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 12:00 PM

245 posts, read 304,337 times

Advertisements

there's no such thing as boots that last ME more than a couple of years, and even then I have to nail on steel cleats. the effort saved in not lifting those boots 100's of times (every day) is well worth the $20 that have to drop on a new pair of Wally's sneakers, every 3-4 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 01:44 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
You are making an assumption that the Walmart sneakers will blow out every five months. I have been wearing the same cheap athletic shoes ($18) everyday for the past two years and they have another year or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garvan View Post
there's no such thing as boots that last ME more than a couple of years, and even then I have to nail on steel cleats. the effort saved in not lifting those boots 100's of times (every day) is well worth the $20 that have to drop on a new pair of Wally's sneakers, every 3-4 months.
What I described was something for me personally, it was an example. Do not misinterpret as that me saying it happens to everyone.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:29 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,658,418 times
There is such a thing as thinking you are being frugal, when really, you are just misunderstanding the money.

Yes, people with 90 boxes of crackers, cases of diapers (and no kids) that they bought with double coupons for a dime and shove in their basement are actually spending more money than if they didn't buy them at all. Same with people who don't want to spend on maintenance, then end up having to replace a transmission, roof, etc years early.

A lot of people define frugal as less money leaving their pocket than someone else in the same circumstance, and are incapable of balancing opportunity cost and the actual value of consumable goods in their lives.

Also, we've all got our acceptable/unacceptable lines. Mine is the AC. You will NEVER find me buying logo'd designer goods, and I cook from scratch, but by God I'm going to run that air because being hot is unacceptable to me. I guess being cold is NOT unacceptable to your parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living