Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 05:39 AM

24,225 posts, read 10,534,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I remember the time when in the apartments, the dead bolt on the door of the one I was in failed and my tool kit was locked in the other apartment. The best I could do with a kitchen bread knife was get the outer panel off. The maintenance man had to crawl in through my bedroom window to come to my rescue.

Moral of the story is never be behind a door that can lock on you without a tool box. Several boxes of different types now through out.
Why did he not just hand you tools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 02:06 PM

23,658 posts, read 13,838,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Why did he not just hand you tools?

I guess because he was the maintenance man of the apartment complex......and I was not.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:42 AM

13,661 posts, read 12,334,348 times
I think that minimalism and a desire to be totally self sufficient are at odds with one another. It is certainly at odds with the SEALs saying, "One is nothing. Two is one." I've never met a minimalist farmer/rancher.

It is about simplifying and clearing mental space as much as physical space. And, I think that to a certain extent, its a bit (or can be a bit) self centered.

Minimalism necessarily eliminates some hobbies or passions. Duck hunting, scuba diving, probably golf, etc...

It requires a proactive outlook on undertakings and purchases. For example, I might look at a Kitchenaid mixer and think, "It serves a purpose and is a quality piece of cookware." A Minimalist would look at it and think, "Am I really going to bake enough to justify this? Is baking Christmas Cookies and Pumpkin Bread an endeavor that's important to me? Or is it simpler to simply buy them from a bakery the three times a year I want them?"

My wife and I don't think twice about decorating for Christmas, or that we'll have to replace some lights every year, and ornaments, and the stand for the tree some years. A minimalist might question, "what is the purpose of decorating for Christmas? What does it add to my life?"

Its not for me, that's for sure.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:49 PM

23,658 posts, read 13,838,693 times
One of the things that crossed my mind today as I was shopping for supplies for an upcoming photo assignment was .......... "Well, I may not have the exact answer but I think I have enough for an approximate answer.".

In a season of having to constantly spend money for this or that mission, it is nice to know that you can cut $$$$ corners by stitching something together by what you already have.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:09 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,608,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I think that minimalism and a desire to be totally self sufficient are at odds with one another. It is certainly at odds with the SEALs saying, "One is nothing. Two is one." I've never met a minimalist farmer/rancher.

It is about simplifying and clearing mental space as much as physical space. And, I think that to a certain extent, its a bit (or can be a bit) self centered.

Minimalism necessarily eliminates some hobbies or passions. Duck hunting, scuba diving, probably golf, etc...

It requires a proactive outlook on undertakings and purchases. For example, I might look at a Kitchenaid mixer and think, "It serves a purpose and is a quality piece of cookware." A Minimalist would look at it and think, "Am I really going to bake enough to justify this? Is baking Christmas Cookies and Pumpkin Bread an endeavor that's important to me? Or is it simpler to simply buy them from a bakery the three times a year I want them?"

My wife and I don't think twice about decorating for Christmas, or that we'll have to replace some lights every year, and ornaments, and the stand for the tree some years. A minimalist might question, "what is the purpose of decorating for Christmas? What does it add to my life?"

Its not for me, that's for sure.
Yeah, I can see your point. A true minimalist wouldn't be someone I can really identify with as far as taking it to that level. I like a minimalist aesthetic to some degree, wherein I mean not a lot of clutter and a clean look to a house overall. But not one where I say, "I really don't sit on all of this furniture every day, so I don't really need all of it, because I only have a few gatherings per year" or something. It's also about personal style and having nice things.

I just try to be more minimalist when it comes to avoiding clutter, so I try to purge the stuff I really don't want or use much at all if ever because it clutters my office, my home, etc. I'm a big fan of GOOD material possessions, though, and have an enormous movie collection, video games, etc. Those things don't really take much space at all, though, fortunately. Now days quite a few are digital copies.

Unfortunately, minimalism doesn't work well as a filmmaker, either. I have a huge amount of gear in the garage that's necessary for whenever I make projects.

Old 09-30-2018, 01:57 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,105,354 times
A minimalist is someone who depends on having a store that's always open right around the corner.

I prefer to be frugal with my money and pay 10-50% for my quality tools (as an example) when I find them BEFORE I need them!

I'be lived as a minimalist (years fulfilling in an Airstream travel trailer.
And it was always frustrating to me that I could not take advantage of grocery store sales.

The other day I was in the store and the Strawberry kiwi Snapple (drink) that I like was marked down to $1.67 as it sometimes is vs the $2 it's been recently
I bought 13 bottles. Sure it's only a few dollars savings, but WHY would I want to willingly pay more when I don't have to!?!

Old 09-30-2018, 10:01 AM

32,558 posts, read 47,705,827 times
I'm absolutely convinced that minimalists never cook.

My kitchen, pantry, and a couple of shelves in the garage are loaded with assorted cooking utensils , pots, pans, aplliances. I use every one of them. Nothing is taking up space that is never used.

This flashlight issue..... if I need a flashlight, I don't want to grope my way through the dark, get into my car, and drive out to buy one every time the lights go out. Not to mention, lights go out after dark. There might not be a store open that has a flashlight for sale.

I really do admire the way a minimalist house looks though. So, more power to them if they an make it work.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:45 AM

2,757 posts, read 2,218,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Exactly. Minimalists don't need a lot of things in life. They are life poor. Ask them to sum up their life and what they have done with it and it's less than a minute.

With the technology advancing the way it is all a minimalist needs is a smartphone. Truly their life is simple and sparse.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:12 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,311,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

My kitchen, pantry, and a couple of shelves in the garage are loaded with assorted cooking utensils , pots, pans, aplliances. I use every one of them. Nothing is taking up space that is never used.
Why would you assume that? Tonight I made Chicken Francese with linguine, which required all of two pieces of cookware, a cast iron skillet and a Dutch oven, and a few implements, including a chef knife, a cutting board, a pair of tongs, a wooden spoon, a box grater, and a measuring cup. Oh, and a couple of plates to hold the egg and flour for dredging the chicken. The Dutch oven is now simmering beets for use later in the week. Once they're done, I'll wash the pot and soak some cannellini beans in it overnight. Minimalists don't cook? Right.

Years ago, I made a list for a friend of the items I thought a western kitchen should have to be reasonably well-outfitted. I think it had something like thirty pieces of cookware, bakeware, cooking utensils, and ancillary kitchen items (but not dishware), and all of it would have fit easily into a small kitchen. That's about what I have in my kitchen right now, and I've cooked for a family of five for going on twenty-five years.

Last edited by randomparent; 09-30-2018 at 09:35 PM..

Old 10-01-2018, 09:23 AM

13,661 posts, read 12,334,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Yeah, I can see your point. A true minimalist wouldn't be someone I can really identify with as far as taking it to that level. I like a minimalist aesthetic to some degree, wherein I mean not a lot of clutter and a clean look to a house overall. But not one where I say, "I really don't sit on all of this furniture every day, so I don't really need all of it, because I only have a few gatherings per year" or something. It's also about personal style and having nice things.

I just try to be more minimalist when it comes to avoiding clutter, so I try to purge the stuff I really don't want or use much at all if ever because it clutters my office, my home, etc. I'm a big fan of GOOD material possessions, though, and have an enormous movie collection, video games, etc. Those things don't really take much space at all, though, fortunately. Now days quite a few are digital copies.

Unfortunately, minimalism doesn't work well as a filmmaker, either. I have a huge amount of gear in the garage that's necessary for whenever I make projects.
Yes, people ascribe to it from an interior decorating perspective, which is totally different IMO. I appreciate a clean, decluttered look too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

This flashlight issue..... if I need a flashlight, I don't want to grope my way through the dark, get into my car, and drive out to buy one every time the lights go out. Not to mention, lights go out after dark. There might not be a store open that has a flashlight for sale.

I really do admire the way a minimalist house looks though. So, more power to them if they an make it work.
Haha...I hoard flashlights. Last thing I want is to go out after the dog or need something in my shed at night and not find a flashlight. But a minimalist would make do with an iPhone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Why would you assume that? Tonight I made Chicken Francese with linguine, which required all of two pieces of cookware, a cast iron skillet and a Dutch oven, and a few implements, including a chef knife, a cutting board, a pair of tongs, a wooden spoon, a box grater, and a measuring cup. Oh, and a couple of plates to hold the egg and flour for dredging the chicken. The Dutch oven is now simmering beets for use later in the week. Once they're done, I'll wash the pot and soak some cannellini beans in it overnight. Minimalists don't cook? Right.

Years ago, I made a list for a friend of the items I thought a western kitchen should have to be reasonably well-outfitted. I think it had something like thirty pieces of cookware, bakeware, cooking utensils, and ancillary kitchen items (but not dishware), and all of it would have fit easily into a small kitchen. That's about what I have in my kitchen right now, and I've cooked for a family of five for going on twenty-five years.
I would argue that you aren't a minimalist, at least not in the kitchen. If I think of a minimalist kitchen I think of a kitchen that's slightly better supplied than an Extended Stay hotel. A pot, a fry pan, a baking sheet, a few place settings, a few glasses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living