Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2014, 08:00 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times

Advertisements

One of my decent cloth (not mesh, not plastic) laundry bags is shredding along the seam and has such, has probably seen its last washing machine.

But seam aside, that is still a few square feet of decent cloth.

As oppose to throwing it in the trash, is there a cause that needs such donations? Is there a use for such?

Is anyone trapped on a desert island and needs material to make a balloon?

Frugally, it means to me to making the most out of what one has....but there's always that hoarding thing hanging over our heads, too. So is there a way of putting such to good use, with it or without it, without contributing to a land fill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 12:20 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Cut off the frayed part, paint the raw edge with fray check, then sew a new seam.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:28 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Rag box!

Old 10-15-2014, 01:58 AM

11,051 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Just whip the frayed edges and put in a new seam. Or put a big decorative patch on it to fix it.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:23 AM

95 posts, read 296,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
One of my decent cloth (not mesh, not plastic) laundry bags is shredding along the seam and has such, has probably seen its last washing machine.

But seam aside, that is still a few square feet of decent cloth.

As oppose to throwing it in the trash, is there a cause that needs such donations? Is there a use for such?

Is anyone trapped on a desert island and needs material to make a balloon?

Frugally, it means to me to making the most out of what one has....but there's always that hoarding thing hanging over our heads, too. So is there a way of putting such to good use, with it or without it, without contributing to a land fill?
Tamara..in a household with 2 adults and 3 kids, i often have clothing that has been repaired one time to many..i cut up old tees ect..layer it into a tupperware container pour a bit of bleach water over it and i have clorox cleanups..i also layer some in a wipes container,mix 1 tablespoon dr.bronners soap with 1/2 cup water and a few drops vitamin e oil and pour it over the old cut up fabric and they make gteat wipes

Old 10-15-2014, 06:58 AM

30,525 posts, read 16,222,191 times
if it's that old, the cloth probably wouldn't be strong enough to use as another bag.

If' it's a cute print, cut it in pieces and applique it to a t-shirt, blouse, jeans, whatever. Or in strips and sew along the bottom of a curtain.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:38 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,828 times
Lots of great frugal ideas. I like to repurpose stuff. How about making handmade paper.

Heres one link. If you google there may be better ones.

Papermaking with rags | Make Your Own Paper | Peachpit

Old 10-15-2014, 05:01 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,126,017 times
Make a smaller pouch or two out of the material. Stuff it with some batting and catnip and sew it up for cat toys. My male cat loves to hunt his toys and tear them up so homemade cheap ones are the best.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:37 AM

840 posts, read 773,633 times
I doubt your fabric is heavy enough for this, but I use the legs of old denim jeans to make dog toys out of, leaving the waist & torso part on them. I split the jeans from waistband to waistband, then roll them up, and tie each end in a knot. IF the owner will be gone for awhile,they can introduce their scent to it thoroughly, and give it to their dog to carry with them while they are apart! Two dogs can play tug-o-war! (For smaller dogs, I cut each leg in half lengthwise, role those up, and tie 2 knots per end.)

If you want to continue using your laundry bag, though, I agree with reseaming it!
Fray check works well to stop the fraying, and then you can reseam it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living