U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 02:11 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,196,741 times

Advertisements

I go about 200 bucks per bed. I like good quality Egyptian Cotton, up to 600 thread. You can usually find these on sale for half the price though, so in reality around 100 bucks (with 100$ in savings per bed).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 03:40 PM

13,433 posts, read 24,210,764 times
E-bay, Tuesday Morning, Ross, Burlington, and hotel supply places. The hotel sheets are quite nice if you don't mind white(usually).

Old 10-25-2014, 06:47 PM

14,072 posts, read 20,144,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Goid bedding is typically worth the investment, as long as you don't have pets with access to the bed.

Definitely correct. I have a stunning bedset that I paid almost $1200 for but can't use it due to my brat cat and his long hair. The duvet cover is black-he is longhaired cream color

Old 10-25-2014, 07:05 PM

95 posts, read 174,435 times
When my mother passed away she had 6 sets of full sized sheet sets that were very old,she had them packed away in layers of blue tissue paper, i was very leary of washing them but i did,and they washed up great,i dont know what the thread count is but they are heavenly so smooth and crisp feeling, i have been using one set for 5 years and packed the others back in fresh blue tissue paper to pass onto my children,lol..a good sheet set that smells fresh makes such a better nights sleep.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:34 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,813,690 times
I like to shop nicer stores at the end of the season when they have end of season clearance sales. I can usually find really nice stuff for 50-75% off.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:57 PM

17,998 posts, read 17,150,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamapinky0 View Post
When my mother passed away she had 6 sets of full sized sheet sets that were very old,she had them packed away in layers of blue tissue paper, i was very leary of washing them but i did,and they washed up great,i dont know what the thread count is but they are heavenly so smooth and crisp feeling, i have been using one set for 5 years and packed the others back in fresh blue tissue paper to pass onto my children,lol..a good sheet set that smells fresh makes such a better nights sleep.
Back in the day, sheets would last many years. My mother's sheets were 100% cotton, 200 thread count but of very good quality and they lasted forever. It's not the thread count as much as the quality of the cotton. In the past, all the percale cotton sheets were of decent quality, unlike the made in China junk today.

I haven't needed to buy sheets in ages because I have old sheets that never wear out but I think pima or combed cotton or other good quality cotton would be better than any high count poor quality cotton. Egyptian cotton used to be a sign of quality but now Egyptian cotton can mean cotton of the Egyptian type, but grown and treated anywhere in the world.

I would not pay a fortune for sheets but I would go to a reputable store and get them when they're on sale, probably in a white sale after Christmas. I would not purchase something as important as sheets in a place like Walmart or Penny's.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:02 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,816,014 times
I still have and use daily the "Bed In A Bag" set I bought at Walmart in 1999, it included Pillow Shams, Pillow Cases, one flat sheet, one fitted sheet and a comforter.
I don't have the flat sheet any longer, a friends dog ate it.

The last set of sheets I purchased were very high dollar, wrinkle free, etc. etc., they wrinkle worse than my cheap bed in a bag sheets that barely have a wrinkle in the right out of the dryer.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:36 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,565,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Back in the day, sheets would last many years. My mother's sheets were 100% cotton, 200 thread count but of very good quality and they lasted forever. It's not the thread count as much as the quality of the cotton. In the past, all the percale cotton sheets were of decent quality, unlike the made in China junk today.

I haven't needed to buy sheets in ages because I have old sheets that never wear out but I think pima or combed cotton or other good quality cotton would be better than any high count poor quality cotton. Egyptian cotton used to be a sign of quality but now Egyptian cotton can mean cotton of the Egyptian type, but grown and treated anywhere in the world.

I would not pay a fortune for sheets but I would go to a reputable store and get them when they're on sale, probably in a white sale after Christmas. I would not purchase something as important as sheets in a place like Walmart or Penny's.
Came across this thread and rep, rep to you^^^. I bought an expensive (although on sale) Egyptian
cotton high thread count 3 years ago. Yesterday, I noticed a big rip. So I threw that
out and put on a fitted sheet that I bought 20 years ago (which I have used off and on). I also bought
an expensive queen duvet cover 3 years ago that never fit the comforter. So now, I use another 15 year
old duvet that was purchased at IKEA (originally for my daughter who didn't want it anymore) and
not only is it more durable but it fits. Again, this was at IKEA? So my back-ups are gone. Yes indeed,
they don't make things like they used to.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:44 AM

33,584 posts, read 51,786,623 times
The bed sheets at IKEA are rather ugly, but 100% cotton and they last forever. A set that I use quite often is over 25 year old!!

Old 10-26-2014, 05:37 PM

7,282 posts, read 15,288,684 times
If we hadn't gotten a deeper mattress about two years back, we'd still be using the Ralph Lauren ones I got on total clearance when the Westpoint Stevens store at the outlet mall closed. Ended up buying a new bottom sheet, also RL, from TJ Maxx that fit the new one correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living