U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 07:17 PM

15,148 posts, read 15,204,207 times

Advertisements

I don't really notice too much how the sheet feels.......I buy the cheapest fitted sheets I can find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 07:31 PM

16,179 posts, read 7,095,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamapinky0 View Post
When my mother passed away she had 6 sets of full sized sheet sets that were very old,she had them packed away in layers of blue tissue paper, i was very leary of washing them but i did,and they washed up great,i dont know what the thread count is but they are heavenly so smooth and crisp feeling, i have been using one set for 5 years and packed the others back in fresh blue tissue paper to pass onto my children,lol..a good sheet set that smells fresh makes such a better nights sleep.
You can't buy sheets like this anymore, the closest you can come is to hotel bedding. At least I can't find them, not even from The Company Store or similar places.

It used to be that thread count was a good guide to quality, but I don't rely on thread count anymore. I've bought too many 300+ count sheets that were flimsy and thin once the sizing was washed out. The poly sheets are the worst, but there's plenty of poor quality cotton out there too.

The standard thread count in the 50s and 60s was 180 cotton percale, it would go up to 250 for the really expensive sheets. They were wonderful, even non-starched they had a dense, almost crisp, hand. Lasted forever.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:36 PM

1,305 posts, read 833,299 times
Try Costco, if you have one in your area. They have nice sets from abt $59 and up. Not sure, they may have been 500 thread count and higher. They have the Egyptian cotton also, alittle pricier. Good luck!

Old 10-29-2014, 10:51 PM

9,316 posts, read 17,951,460 times
We get a lot of hotel sheet sets around here. About every two or three years, the big resort hotels change all their linen. Most of it is 100% cotton, higher thread counts and very white. But, cotton is easy to dye so they don't have to stay white if I don't want white. There's lots of indigo growing around here as a roadside weed, so it doesn't even cost anything to turn the sheets blue.

Other than hotel sheets, there's usually lovely sheet sets available from yard and garage sales for $5 - $10 for the set or less. Folks always want to "move to Paradise" and then when they've been here for about six months to a year, they realize they left their extended family behind and they can't replace the same level of job they had before and everything costs more here so they jettison most of everything they brought over here and go back to the mainland. That last set we got was a Ralph Lauren 1,600 thread count king sized set with duvet cover and four pillowcases for $25. That's more than we'd usually pay, but it had a matching duvet cover.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:40 AM

4,678 posts, read 4,582,667 times
I've had better luck with Target Threshold sheets than I have the more expensive stuff (Wamsutta) at bed bath and beyond and The Company Store. In fact I was up late last night sewing up some holes in some sheets that have only been used 4-5 times since they were bought last year. The shape holds up okay, but they're fading pretty quickly too. I've been buying Target flannel sheet sets, the ones you typically see at the end of the aisle, for the past 12-15 years. I gave my mom my first set. Last year I cut up my second set to use as reusable tissues (I have really bad allergies and they're perfect for my sore nose!). I think it's important to rotate sheets. I have two sets per bed per season.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:35 AM

11,429 posts, read 19,438,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You can't buy sheets like this anymore, the closest you can come is to hotel bedding. At least I can't find them, not even from The Company Store or similar places.

It used to be that thread count was a good guide to quality, but I don't rely on thread count anymore. I've bought too many 300+ count sheets that were flimsy and thin once the sizing was washed out. The poly sheets are the worst, but there's plenty of poor quality cotton out there too.

The standard thread count in the 50s and 60s was 180 cotton percale, it would go up to 250 for the really expensive sheets. They were wonderful, even non-starched they had a dense, almost crisp, hand. Lasted forever.
No kidding! Even in the 80's the sheets I bought for our waterbed I converted into regular sheets and they went on for 18+ years of hard wear... and the only reason I ditched them was we bought an Eastern king and they no longer fit.

Now I buy from The Company Store online. I can get four years out of them but they get ratty... but we have cats and claws here. But I love their designs (No flowers, geometrics!) and I love that I can buy a bottom sheet, pillow cases and comforter cover, all percale, all washable. The comforter cover being made from percale eliminates the need for the top sheet...bed making is toss the covers over the bed after the bed airs out.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:52 AM

23,903 posts, read 31,130,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulse1000 View Post
How much are you willing to spend on bed sheets? I like the 300 thread count or higher, the most I will spend on sheets is 50 bucks I have a hard time however, finding decent sheets for that price.. I did buy some from walmart... The "Better Homes" brand for 30 bucks and they were very thin. I was buying them from sams club, for 30 bucks (different brand) which were good sheets, the problem is, the last 2 sets I bought frayed on the sides, However I think sam's club is changing the brand to a different one so I will have to see what happens. I have a hard time finding a color that I like i'm a 29 year old male so it hard sometimes to find a color for a guy. My question is what do you find decent sheets on the cheap?
I will spend $100, and have. Overstock.com is a great place to buy quality sheets online at great prices. But just as good is TJMax, and Steinmart.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:54 AM

23,903 posts, read 31,130,282 times
Quote:

I have no problems at all finding quality sheets. The sheets on my beds, some are 15 years old, and are soft as silk. All 100% cotton, and all over 300 thread count.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:37 AM

22,706 posts, read 21,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I will spend $100, and have. Overstock.com is a great place to buy quality sheets online at great prices. But just as good is TJMax, and Steinmart.
I have to touch them before I buy them. Even with a rather high thread count, some sheets feel terrible.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:18 PM

3,191 posts, read 1,850,707 times
Quote:

I have a few top twin sheets that came from my childhood. No idea how old they are, mom gave them to me when I moved out. Maybe 30-40 years old?

They say American Linen on them, are white and some have a pink stripe (more of a thread) along the edge. They are crisp and cool and wonderful, although a little frayed at the edges. I found them again while cleaning the attic after my divorce, and started to use them again.

Would love to find something comparable for my full size bed! Sometimes I find something decent at Ocean State Job Lot but that's few and far between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living