U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 11:39 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,192,560 times

Advertisements

Walmart carries cheap sheets and good quality ones. You just have to check the shelves for price and what they are made of. I have some I've had for 8 years now and they are still like new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 02:43 PM

3,748 posts, read 5,815,409 times
Sheets are one thing that I do not try and find 'the best deal', as the best deal usually means the lowest in quality.
Two things to consider when buying sheets- thread count and material.
Egyptian cotton is of course the best, and of course the higher the thread count, the more luxurious the sheets.
This 'micro-fiber' that is found in many sheets is garbage. I can't sleep on these sheets, i dont like how they feel and they make me sweat. They don't stay on the bed all that well either.

The micro fiber will be the cheapest as it is synthetic. I totally avoid synthetics and even blended with cotton.

Getting the best for sheets is the frugal way to go. And finding them from a hotel when they are replacing bedding is even better.
But- if you want to dye white sheets (100% cotton), match the quality of the sheets to the dye. DO NOT use Rit dye...it will not last. Rit will eventually rub off and wash out. Use a fiber reactive dye like Jaquard/Procion dye. The dye is a little more expencive, but a much better process and result (can be done in a washing machine).

Old 11-03-2014, 03:28 PM

8,880 posts, read 15,634,204 times
I go to a lot of estate sales and will often see totes of bedding sell for less than the value of the tote. I generally don't bid - you can only use so much bedding - but when I have I've usually come away with at least a couple of sets of really nice sheets in good shape.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:18 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,000,395 times
I'll spend up to $50 on sheets. I like buying new sheets every 3 or 4 months. I have found some good deals at Kohl's.

-Cheers.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:27 PM

23,906 posts, read 31,137,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I have to touch them before I buy them. Even with a rather high thread count, some sheets feel terrible.
I usually would agree. But Overstock has reviews, so much that I am comfortable buying from them. I have not had anything but great purchases there so far.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:13 AM

10,231 posts, read 14,087,635 times
The Jacquelyn Smith brand sheets at K-Mart for about $49 a set are excellent, and even better if you can get them on sale. Sometimes Home Goods (or TJ Maxx combo stores) have some nice percale sheets too. I still have some "Sears Best" percale sheets and wish they still sold those. Most likely they don't sell the nice percale sheets anymore because they last too long.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:40 AM

22,706 posts, read 21,760,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I usually would agree. But Overstock has reviews, so much that I am comfortable buying from them. I have not had anything but great purchases there so far.
I'll keep that in mind. I learned long ago that buying a name or a thread count doesn't work.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:21 PM

11 posts, read 11,672 times
I buy sheets from The Bay (I'm in Canada) I wait until they have their once a year sale when their $300 sheets are on sale for $69.99 and buy a set. I have 3 sets now, which is enough to change my sheets every couple of days (I air dry everything so takes a few days) They are super soft and a really good quality of thicker cotton. I imagine they will last for a decade or more, the set I have had for three years now have not shown any wear.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:46 PM

29,597 posts, read 31,914,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
I'll spend up to $50 on sheets. I like buying new sheets every 3 or 4 months. I have found some good deals at Kohl's.

-Cheers.
What do you do to your sheets in 3-4 months? I have a set that's nearly 20 years old! I have newer ones as well but every 3-4 months? Hmmm..

Old 11-26-2014, 11:06 PM

3,970 posts, read 8,623,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Discount stores such as Tuesday Morning, Ross dress for Less or Burlington. Or the clearance sales at department stores. They have a bigger selection online - jcpenny, Macy's, etc.
I bought some high thread count sheets (600, Egyptian cotton) at Tuesday Morning and after 3 months I rolled over in bed and the area around my feet just completely ripped up. I was so lucky that I could find the receipt because even though they wouldn't take them back, they gave me the name of the supplier (off the code on the receipt) and they replaced them. So far so good.

In 1993 I bought some Adrienne Vittadini (designer) sheets from The Bay (in Canada) which cost a lot at the time but I loved the pattern (white on white roses with lace trim). They are still going strong (but getting close to being retired) and I used them almost every day since (I always take off, wash. and put right back on) so they are over 20 years old!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living