U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 05:44 AM

27,179 posts, read 11,349,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Now there are "microfiber" sheets selling on Amazon for ~ $14 a set (twin size).
I bought a set and I like them.... they're soft and comfortable.
Microfiber is polyester, I find them very uncomfortable, like sleeping under saran wrap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 05:46 AM

4,101 posts, read 1,715,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I've had a couple of sets of microfiber sheets. Soft but not cool or crisp. And they wore out quickly. Literally shredded
Yep. Microfiber feels really cheap.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
I rarely buy percale sheets, I haven't liked them in the past.
My mistake, when you mention crisp cotton that almost always means percale. Basically there are basically 3 types of cotton sheets; percale, linen and sateen. Sateen is very soft and can border on being slippery. Linen have a coarser heavier finish and percale which has a crisper finish.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:02 AM

3,191 posts, read 1,850,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
My mistake, when you mention crisp cotton that almost always means percale. Basically there are basically 3 types of cotton sheets; percale, linen and sateen. Sateen is very soft and can border on being slippery. Linen have a coarser heavier finish and percale which has a crisper finish.
I think the problem is, nothing is standard anymore! Perhaps at the $100+ price point things are more consistent but not as much when you're buying from places like Target. I can't load my original Target order to see what they called them exactly and I'm not sure the tag would say anything other than cotton.

Some day I'll have a spare cubic yard of cash and will try out more expensive sheets

FWIW I've slept in many an expensive hotel for work and not once did I say "I need THESE sheets", though some were definitely worse than others.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:20 AM

6,014 posts, read 6,518,511 times
I'm willing to spend up to $50.00 a set, for a 400 tc Egyptian or Pima cotton queen set.
I might have spend that much a couple of times. But usually don't have to go that high to get what I'm looking for.

To be fair, that was my price point 10-12 years ago. And I haven't bought sheets since then. But it's still my price point.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:42 PM

1,026 posts, read 435,119 times
Quote:
I've had a couple of sets of microfiber sheets. Soft but not cool or crisp. And they wore out quickly. Literally shredded
Much too early to know about the durability of the ones I bought,
but at $14 for the set, they needn't last 10 years (or even 5) for me to be satisfied with them.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:20 PM

17,396 posts, read 3,537,755 times
Quote:
I think the problem is, nothing is standard anymore! Perhaps at the $100+ price point things are more consistent but not as much when you're buying from places like Target. I can't load my original Target order to see what they called them exactly and I'm not sure the tag would say anything other than cotton.

Some day I'll have a spare cubic yard of cash and will try out more expensive sheets

FWIW I've slept in many an expensive hotel for work and not once did I say "I need THESE sheets", though some were definitely worse than others.

Off topic a bit but isn't it annoying most hotels don't use fitted bottom sheets???

Old 09-04-2018, 10:49 PM

7,278 posts, read 15,283,732 times
Okay, I went and ordered a king-sized fitted Luxe sheet from Brooklinen yesterday and it's all y'alls fault. There are a whole bunch of $20 off an order of $50 or more coupons out there that help bring the price down.

It's nice that you can order piecemeal from them instead of getting stuck with pieces you won't use. We haven't used a top sheet in years, and I've got a seeming infinite stash of very nice pillowcases from when the local Westpoint Stevens outlet was having their store closing sale back in the day.

I'm willing to pay more to get good quality items when I'm going to use something every day, and with sheets, the cost per hour of use goes down quite quickly if you think of it that way.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Okay, I went and ordered a king-sized fitted Luxe sheet from Brooklinen yesterday and it's all y'alls fault. There are a whole bunch of $20 off an order of $50 or more coupons out there that help bring the price down.

It's nice that you can order piecemeal from them instead of getting stuck with pieces you won't use. We haven't used a top sheet in years, and I've got a seeming infinite stash of very nice pillowcases from when the local Westpoint Stevens outlet was having their store closing sale back in the day.

I'm willing to pay more to get good quality items when I'm going to use something every day, and with sheets, the cost per hour of use goes down quite quickly if you think of it that way.
You won't regret it. We first bought from Brooklinen about 3 years ago and I never used another set of sheets since then, I had always rotated two or three sets of sheets but with these...I wash them and put them right back on the bed the same day so that I don't have to use other sheets. And the customer services is amazing...imagine getting an entire new set of sheets for free after admitting that your dog might have caused the bottom sheet to tear? I had a Sferra sheet tear after 8 or 9 months and the company refused to do anything about it.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:49 AM

15,148 posts, read 15,204,207 times
I buy one fitted sheet, as cheap as possible, and keep it until it is starts falling apart.

Seriously, I love being an unrefined, lowbrow person............thread-count, LOL, as long as the sheet down not feel like sandpaper it is fine with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living