Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 07:43 PM

42,783 posts, read 26,085,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
The last set of sheets I bought was from Macys, over 200 bucks.
I got a set a Macy's a few years ago and my pillows wouldn't fit in the pillow cases, and the top sheet hardly covered the mattress, I think it was Calvin Klein. It wasn't $200 but it was close (I returned them)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 12:03 PM

6,501 posts, read 4,907,795 times
Based on this thread, I ordered two sets of Threshold sheets from Target. They were great! Very wrinkled but I didn't care. They didn't soften up much. Crisp though.

My cats have managed to shred them running around though and I decided to order a third pair. They don't make them anymore! I got an Organic cotton set (for more than I remember spending before) and they are ok, but definitely heavier and not crisp at all.

The search continues.....

Old 09-03-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Based on this thread, I ordered two sets of Threshold sheets from Target. They were great! Very wrinkled but I didn't care. They didn't soften up much. Crisp though.

My cats have managed to shred them running around though and I decided to order a third pair. They don't make them anymore! I got an Organic cotton set (for more than I remember spending before) and they are ok, but definitely heavier and not crisp at all.

The search continues.....
Try Brooklinen, their sheets outlast any other sheet I've owned. One of my bottom sheets had a tear in it, I don't know how it happened but it could have been from my dog clawing it. I even admitted that possibility when I contacted their customer service dept and they said "don't worry about it, a complete new set is on it's way, please give any usable parts of the old set to charity"

If you order from them and want crispy cool but not wrinkly sheets order Classic Percale

Old 09-03-2018, 01:53 PM

That "from $99" was kind of a deal breaker for me I've looked at them before. Thanks though - hopefully that helps someone else out

Old 09-03-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
That "from $99" was kind of a deal breaker for me I've looked at them before. Thanks though - hopefully that helps someone else out
I understand, but what do you pay for a set of percale sheets at Target or Kohls? If you pay $40-$50 and they wear out fast or are always wrinkled, how much are you really saving?

Old 09-03-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I understand, but what do you pay for a set of percale sheets at Target or Kohls? If you pay $40-$50 and they wear out fast or are always wrinkled, how much are you really saving?
I rarely buy percale sheets, I haven't liked them in the past.

The first 2 sets were $25 each, on sale, and it was quite a few years ago. I only bought new sets because we got a different sized mattress.

The ones I just bought were $33 on sale.

I don't care about the wrinkles. They only "wore" out because the cat was doing acrobatics on it - he found he liked the noise it made when he ran across the bed (despite the destruction of my bottom sheet, it was hysterical to watch him)

I like to have 2 sets at least so I can strip the bed and remake it right away. The same size from Booklinen is $100 more and since I am not made of money, I can probably do a lot more with the extra $100 elsewhere.

I'm looking for the classic cool crisp cotton of yesteryear and I'm not sure percale is it honestly! The Threshold cotton sheets from a few years back were pretty close. The new ones are not.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:54 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,749,303 times
I'm admittedly more about how sheets and comforter covers feel on the skin that whether or not they wrinkle, but I have to say I'm very happy with the lyocell rayon comforter covers we got from IKEA last year. Still nice and soft after many washings.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:32 AM

4,493 posts, read 2,932,766 times
Now there are "microfiber" sheets selling on Amazon for ~ $14 a set (twin size).
I bought a set and I like them.... they're soft and comfortable.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:35 AM

178 posts, read 146,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Goid bedding is typically worth the investment, as long as you don't have pets with access to the bed.
Yep! We just bought a set of bamboo sheets (very much like silk), and one of our cats has already put a hole in the top sheet.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Now there are "microfiber" sheets selling on Amazon for ~ $14 a set (twin size).
I bought a set and I like them.... they're soft and comfortable.
I've had a couple of sets of microfiber sheets. Soft but not cool or crisp. And they wore out quickly. Literally shredded
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living