Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 11:18 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,545,995 times

Advertisements

The use of the internet based calling systems like voip are becoming mainstream with many cell phone companies offering it. I have heard they have had the technology for years. Some say you can use google voice or other systems to make completely free calls using your computer's internet to cell phones and landline phones not just other computers. I would love to try this but not sure how. I see ads online for limited free internet calling services but don't know much about them. Has anyone done it yet? Can you explain how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 11:39 AM

22,552 posts, read 47,594,459 times
Skype... been around for over a decade.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:51 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,093,771 times
skype is probably the most popular, facebook has a system you can make calls with now. just do a google search and you'll find a ton of options. ovoo

Old 10-28-2014, 11:55 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,336,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
The use of the internet based calling systems like voip are becoming mainstream with many cell phone companies offering it. I have heard they have had the technology for years. Some say you can use google voice or other systems to make completely free calls using your computer's internet to cell phones and landline phones not just other computers. I would love to try this but not sure how. I see ads online for limited free internet calling services but don't know much about them. Has anyone done it yet? Can you explain how?
Depends if you want to make VoIP calls to other VoIP contacts or if you'd like to call actual phone numbers. Google voice gives you a real number and allows you to make free calls to any phone number within the US and Canada I believe.

Skype will allow this as well, but if you call to phone lines you will pay either per minute or on a plan. Skype can be used to make free calls to other Skype users. There are many many ways to make free calls. GV and Skype are definitely the better options though.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:10 PM

I tried to set up google voice last night. They demanded my cell phone number and using it took my minutes. It was not free. I must be doing something wrong.

I want to place calls to cell phones and landline business type phones. I have very low minutes on my cell phone and often run out of minutes each month by being placed on hold trying to call various places to take care of things. I need a reliable way to make unlimited calling so I can actually call these places and wait to talk to someone . Many of these places put me on hold so long I have to hang up without accomplishing what I needed to .

I know there is a way to do this . I just need to figure out how. Here is an example of an interesting option.

https://call2friends.com/

Old 10-28-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I tried to set up google voice last night. They demanded my cell phone number and using it took my minutes. It was not free. I must be doing something wrong.

I want to place calls to cell phones and landline business type phones. I have very low minutes on my cell phone and often run out of minutes each month by being placed on hold trying to call various places to take care of things. I need a reliable way to make unlimited calling so I can actually call these places and wait to talk to someone . Many of these places put me on hold so long I have to hang up without accomplishing what I needed to .

I know there is a way to do this . I just need to figure out how. Here is an example of an interesting option.

https://call2friends.com/
In the case that you would like to make phone calls from your computer using Google Voice... you would need to setup hangouts. Hangouts will allow you to make a phone call directly without using your cell phone

https://support.google.com/hangouts/.../3187125?hl=en

Check out the link and you should be able to set this up. I use it all of the time and it works flawlessly.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:46 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,838,418 times
Look into a better cellphone plan?

Old 10-28-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Look into a better cellphone plan?
Why when one can subsidize for free?

Old 10-28-2014, 01:05 PM

983 posts, read 2,540,255 times
To do this I had to invest in a few things to enjoy the free calls after that, so overtime it will be free. I am using Google voice with a device called OBIHAI from OBITALK. You can buy it from Amazon or any site, just google it and see who sells it for the best price. The one I bought was $49.00 I think, you can also buy a used one, all works. Once you have this you will connect the device to your network and register the device on OBITALK website. Then you will add your Google voice account to OBITALK profile. I use this for all my outgoing calls for work. The cell phone is only used for receiving calls that are forward to this number. You can also select the option to go to voice mail and then you can return the call back when you get an email that you received a call. Hope this helps.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like google voice is more than just a way to organize phone calls. You can actually use it to make calls for free. Do you need a cell phone account to use hangouts does your plan have to offer any type of free calling to family and friends you can ad the google voice phone number to? Does obihai need a cell phone number?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living