Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 02:17 PM

507 posts, read 441,668 times

Advertisements

I like to think I'm a minimalist--I don't have a lot of stuff and am happy with a 740 sq. ft., 1BR apartment. I could go smaller but my couches are big and fluffy, and I have a dining set that seats six without the leaf in, all of this left over from my marriage. But then I think of the people who live in those mini-houses that are less than 400 sq. ft. and I feel like a hoarder!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 03:55 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,822,173 times
I'm somewhat a Minimalist, not 100% total Minimalist but I sure do live below my means a lot so as to continue having a large surplus each year.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:37 PM

112 posts, read 103,098 times
I am just seeing this now!! I actually posted a topic on this...
YES I am!!! I follow people on youtube, and instagram and fb.
I love the "minimalists"
and get so much information from them!!!

Old 02-11-2016, 09:50 PM

8,281 posts, read 23,044,357 times
You can add me to the punch bowl, I am a minimalist. I never knew how much I looked forward to buying things, and buying a home, I can't wait to buy a new this or a new that and what this house really needs is this type of thinking. I just started slowly to become annoyed with clutter and realizing I'm 33 now, why waste it accumulating things and dreaming of new purchases. What really changed it for me this summer was traveling. Spend a month out on the road and travel and you realize I really don't miss anything at home.

So I started to de-clutter then really just by chance stumbled upon an idea or a little sub-culture of anti-clutterites like me. I was really wasting time working 50-60 hrs for stuff and what would I put up in my man cave and how would I decorate this and after traveling this summer, I noticed I loved to travel and do stuff. Seriously just give me my music, movies and my home so I can go out and do stuff.

Once you become a minimalist, it's like a giant sigh of relief. Ah I can breathe again. Now like a bible thumper I am trying to turn others onto living with what they need. Ditch the 10 pairs of jeans, kick-knacks, countless things you just happen to buy at a rummage.

Breathe again, find a free life and become a minimalist, adventure is out there!

The Minimalists

Becoming Minimalist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Co1...ature=youtu.be

Old 02-12-2016, 03:47 PM

119 posts, read 125,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
Hello everyone!

While I was never what I would consider a "mass consumer" (I certainly have purchased my share of "stuff" - both necessary and unnecessary), several moves have prompted me toward "owning" less and less over the years (and note that I have really only moved about 5 times in the last 20 years -- which may or may not seem like a lot to people -- but I like to experience living in new spaces/places). And, as I prepare to move from the frigid temperatures of Western New York to the milder Winters of the South (North Carolina) in 2015, I'm feeling the desire to become even more minimal.

I'm finding I would rather live a small space (like a tiny home or studio apartment) and have few things (but have them be high quality so they last) than I would have a 3BR and lots of extraneous "stuff".

I am selling or donating about 75% of what I currently have as I gear up to move.

Can anyone else relate to this?

The "movement" is really well explained here: The Minimalists

Anyway, I'm interested in talking to others who are into this lifestyle/ideology, and to also get support; it can be difficult to be a minimalist in a HIGHLY consumerist society.

~ Jeffrey
Hey Jeffrey,

Seems like you found out about minimalism the natural way, through experience, and that is the best. I came to it sort of the same way but I felt like it was "me" since i was a kid. It did heighten after I got into Daoism many years before.

I am 49 years old and for the last ten years I have only owned what I can ship in two USPS Priority mail boxes and carry in one roller suitcase and a 40L backpack. I do not own a car and I live on $19K a year. I sleep on the floor if I have a carpet, if no carpet I sleep on a foam or cotton pad. I found this meant that I would only meet a very special woman and that suited me just fine. They are rare like diamonds.

I travel to new cities frequently and when I get there I will usually buy some pots and pans and other kitchen stuff and a few pieces of furniture from a thrift store but that is about all. I have a laptop which I use for all my entertainment. Sometimes I but a scooter depending if I really need it, but almost all my decisions on what to buy are utilitarian.

I think it is important for minimalists to seek each other out because it is such a difficult idea for the mainstream culture to comprehend and accept.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:09 PM

37 posts, read 35,504 times
Minimalism sparked my interest recently. Especially since, with my financial goals, I'll probably need to sell as much of my stuff as possible anyway. I've been googling and youtubing minimalism to see how I can make it "work" for me.

Is there anyone minimalist here? What helps you from getting more stuff (consciously or subconsiously)? I've given away 2-3 bags of stuff to Goodwill but I still feel there's more, sadly.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:31 AM

10,600 posts, read 12,059,835 times
I went back and read the first few pages of this older thread and was hoping to see answers like this one:
Quote:
I probably will never be a true minimalist but I've pretty much stopped buying anything unless it's food or clothing. Don't care for collecting dvds, new gadgets, music, etc etc etc.

Some people probably think of me as cheap whereas I don't want or need excess crap in my life unless it's absolutely necessary.
People have said they were turned off to shopping or 'accumulating things" when they saw excess materialism in others or when they had to clean out a relatives home of 50 years, or perhaps something happens that just reminds you that "stuff is just stuff."

I relate to all those comments.

I will say I found it interesting that some people seem to equate "not accumulating more" -- with being minimalist. And I'd suggest they're NOT the same thing. Which is why I so identify with the quote.

So what IS minimalism, being a minimalist? and are they different or the same as just not buying more things for whatever reason?
Does not buying more make you a minimalist? Or does it mean for example in my case that I've gotten to age 55 and look around and see all I already have and it's more than enough….I've lived the experience of cleaning out a relatives home of 45 years -- I've seen my brother pay what over the years must have been thousands of dollars just to store STUFF…..and I just don't' NEED to buy any more things. I pretty much HAVE everything I need. So now I'm buying mostly for need….and the NEEDS aren't that great.

So like the quote….I don't know that I'm a minimalist…but I'm not in my accumulation phase either.

There's a show on HGTV about TINY houses…..I saw a couple with two young children of different genders…..7 year old boy and 4 year old girl, who bought a 200 sq. ft house. They're sooo into their darned minimalism, the four of them are sleeping in one room and there's one sink IN THE BATHROOM, that she also using for food prep. I'm all for minimalism but IMO that's just crazy. The parents talked about what a close family they'll be, and the lessons the kids will learn, and the example their setting for the kids…..yeah right. They'll learn some lesson alright.

Last edited by selhars; 02-15-2016 at 08:53 AM..

Old 02-15-2016, 09:59 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,866,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepGoing View Post
Minimalism sparked my interest recently. Especially since, with my financial goals, I'll probably need to sell as much of my stuff as possible anyway. I've been googling and youtubing minimalism to see how I can make it "work" for me.

Is there anyone minimalist here? What helps you from getting more stuff (consciously or subconsiously)? I've given away 2-3 bags of stuff to Goodwill but I still feel there's more, sadly.
Hi Keep Going.....
I like to try to barter for things that I do find that I need. Then I look for them used and lastly, buy them new only when it's necessary. For example, I have a very nice bike rack that doesn't fit my now car, so I'm going to try to barter it for an old metal wheelbarrow or beekeeping supplies. Yeah, it takes a little more time, effort and planning not to run out and just buy what I "need" but it's good for my personal financial plan and the environment. Creating a budget, sticking to the budget and finding ways to make your hobbies make a little extra $, were the basics for beginning with me. I wish you luck as you develop your life plan on the minimalism journey.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Here's a blog with lots of good information on becoming a minimalist.
A little at a time is how you can achieve it.

» about :mnmlist
The Beginner’s Guide to Zen Habits – A Guided Tour : zen habits

Old 07-11-2016, 07:26 PM

645 posts, read 673,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
Hello everyone!

While I was never what I would consider a "mass consumer" (I certainly have purchased my share of "stuff" - both necessary and unnecessary), several moves have prompted me toward "owning" less and less over the years (and note that I have really only moved about 5 times in the last 20 years -- which may or may not seem like a lot to people -- but I like to experience living in new spaces/places). And, as I prepare to move from the frigid temperatures of Western New York to the milder Winters of the South (North Carolina) in 2015, I'm feeling the desire to become even more minimal.

I'm finding I would rather live a small space (like a tiny home or studio apartment) and have few things (but have them be high quality so they last) than I would have a 3BR and lots of extraneous "stuff".

I am selling or donating about 75% of what I currently have as I gear up to move.

Can anyone else relate to this?

The "movement" is really well explained here: The Minimalists

Anyway, I'm interested in talking to others who are into this lifestyle/ideology, and to also get support; it can be difficult to be a minimalist in a HIGHLY consumerist society.

~ Jeffrey
My dream is to live in a tiny home or shack in the middle of nowhere. I plan on using solar and wind for power. I just wanna live off the grid and enjoy the simple life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living