Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 08:28 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times

Advertisements

Whatever you use, dilute it. I once nursed along an "empty" bottle of shampoo by diluting what was left, then soaked the bottle, then, finally, soaked the cap. My hair looked and smelled great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 08:28 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Put baking soda in a plastic old spice jar (not an old garlic powder bottle!)
shake that in your hand and pat under your arm...no order all day.
Add it to your detergent and you can use less.

I wrote this before I saw the one above mine, do you believe it?!

Old 11-23-2014, 08:41 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
A cheap shampoo can be used as a hand soap and body wash in most cases. I don't like bar soap for many reasons so if I had to pick one thing only it would be a cheap shampoo.

But to be honest this stuff isn't expensive in the first place and it's not where I'm going to save money that matters.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:21 PM

138 posts, read 173,161 times
I've been converting to bar soap in the shower and stock up on certain brands when they go under a $1 at the grocery store.

Just an FYI to any interested - White Rain products are vegan/vegetarian friendly. However, I seem to be developing an allergy to them, hence my reason for switching to bar soap.

I don't know a price comparison, but some of us in the family use limes instead of deodorant. Again, I seem to be developing an allergy, but limes are okay for me. Also, I don't like the kids using deodorant all the time and lime has been a welcome alternative. I cut the lime into fairly small pieces and put the rest in a container in the fridge for other days.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:53 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Dr. Bronner's soaps rock; they're so concentrated that one quart bottle lasts forever. I use it for everything except laundry detergent and shampoo ... and the company makes a plant-based household cleaner as well that I haven't tried yet.

Here's a blog the company writes with ideas on how to use its products:

Going Green With a Bronner Mom | Green Tips and Techniques for Moms & Dads

ETA:

Here's the link to the blog post about the diluting the castile soap for different uses - this is great:

http://www.lisabronner.com/dilutions...-castile-soap/

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 11-24-2014 at 11:13 AM..

Old 11-24-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
A cheap shampoo can be used as a hand soap and body wash
in most cases. I don't like bar soap for many reasons so if I had to pick one thing
only it would be a cheap shampoo.
Yes. Cheap shampoo like Suave on sale, even, is pH balanced surprisingly.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAIN5 View Post
lime has been a welcome alternative.
But lime is so sticky on my hands.

So glad people are bringing up Dr. Bronner's

Old 11-24-2014, 11:28 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
A cheap shampoo can be used as a hand soap and body wash in most cases.
Keep in mind that while shampoos will certainly do just fine at removing dirt, most are formulated to remove oils and could dry out your skin.

You can buy a combination shampoo/conditioner/body wash that's better formulated to handle both jobs for about the same price as a cheap bottle of shampoo. I use it when I go camping so I don't have to take multiple products or deal with carrying a wet bar of soap back from the shower house.

Last edited by duster1979; 11-24-2014 at 12:01 PM..

Old 11-24-2014, 11:33 AM

11 posts, read 18,199 times
I am another huge fan of Dr. Bronners's. I don't use it for shampoo but I clean many, many things with it in my house.

I try to live a mostly chemical free lifestyle, so sometimes spend more then the average amount on toiletries, but I save that difference in cleaning supplies which I haven't bought any of in years and also by not buying oodles of different toiletries. I keep it simple, basic and only buy with coupons.

I clean with Dr. Bronners (lasts years it is so concentrated) black tea, lemons, baking soda, vinegar, linseed oil and mineral oil. Laundry soap I bought a GIANT bucket of Nellie's washing soda which does 1100 loads, which will last me about 5 years and works out to about 10 cents a load. I don't use fabric softener, and I don't use a dryer so no fabric sheets. Dish detergent (I was by hand) I use a green product that I buy when it is on sale and it is so ridiculously cheap because it is also concentrated,

For deodorant I use a crystal stick, lasts 10 - 11 months, costs about $4. Face scrub I use organic brown rice flour and green tea. I also use rice water to wash/moisturize my skin. Shampoo and conditioner, I pay more for because I buy Aloe Vera based products with no chemicals. Tooth paste is a tea tree based one so a little more expensive then something like Crest. Creams I buy local ones made from natural products like seabuckthorn and honey. (I also make my own lotion bars)

Other than that I tend to avoid most "girlie" expensive toiletries, no perfume, makeup, toners, exfoliates, special creams, etc... There is soooo many products that would cost a fortune if you truly felt you needed them all. I have never found that to be the case.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:17 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Anti-perspirant and deoderant are two different things, but are often confussed because anti-persirant comes with a fresh smell like deodorant. Anti-perspirant is increadibly unhealthy for many reasons.
Underarm odor is caused by bacteria. Kill the bacteria, kills the odor. If all one is concerned about is odor, and wants to be really economical about it, get a deoderant stone. They are made from mineral salts that kills the bacteria. They can also be used for foot odor.
My husband has gone through over 10 cans of his underarm spray to my one deoderant stone. And it does not look like it has even been used. It will probably last another 50 of his cans, maybe even more. My deoderant stone cost less that one of his cans, and costs about the same or less than a stick version.
I agree. Most people don't know the difference between an anti-perspirant and a deodorant. There is a big difference.

I think I must come from a long line of cool, dry and non-stinky people. My father used a deodorant when he went to work and not on weekends. I only remember him smelling of perspiration odor maybe three times over a span of many years. He'd been working in the yard during the summer. My mother didn't use one for years, but needed one when she hit menopause. My son, on the other had, smells like a wet dog in July if he doesn't shower every day and wear a deodorant.

Sorry folks. I realize that this is not the place for this discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living