Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 02:36 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times

Advertisements

Yes definitely spending lifestyle has increased with income but savings has accelerated even more...now save more than half of income but still could do better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 02:46 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
My wife and I married at age 30. Neither of us had much when we married but we started earning good livings. We desired things and we spent what we made enjoying the good life. In our mid 40's, still enjoy a good income, we started to think about retirement. We took a few financial investment courses. Paid a fee based financial advisor to come up with a plan for us. We started investing in the future with IRAs, solid stocks, etc. We could still enjoy the good life but we also cut a few corners. Like 2-3 star hotels instead of 4 star hotels while on vacation. Cheaper scotch. Keep a car for more then 4 years. Join a less expensive country club. $50 shoes instead of $120 shoes. We became debt free by our early 50's. We retired at age 62.

One of the biggest things in our favor was we opted not to have children so we were DINKs. Dual Income No Kids.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:46 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,490 times
no.

in fact, I spend less now than I did in college while making twice as much.

since graduation, ive really been throwing as much as possible at the student loans while finding ways to cut spending. im also saving 20%+ of my income for retirement. 50% once the student loans are gone in two months. my goal is to retire early.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:13 PM

595 posts, read 560,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
My wife and I married at age 30. Neither of us had much when we married but we started earning good livings. We desired things and we spent what we made enjoying the good life. In our mid 40's, still enjoy a good income, we started to think about retirement. We took a few financial investment courses. Paid a fee based financial advisor to come up with a plan for us. We started investing in the future with IRAs, solid stocks, etc. We could still enjoy the good life but we also cut a few corners. Like 2-3 star hotels instead of 4 star hotels while on vacation. Cheaper scotch. Keep a car for more then 4 years. Join a less expensive country club. $50 shoes instead of $120 shoes. We became debt free by our early 50's. We retired at age 62.

One of the biggest things in our favor was we opted not to have children so we were DINKs. Dual Income No Kids.
saviors of the international economy

Old 12-11-2014, 06:01 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,668,443 times
Yes and No.

First I live in a far more expensive city now (i.e. housing is 78% more than where we had been) so it's hard to do the side-by-side analysis.

We definitely buy less stuff than before, but maybe with the exception of clothing (which we buy mostly resale) and stuff for the kids, many of our purchases are of higher quality (I buy more organic and sustainably produced foods, higher quality furniture).

Old 12-11-2014, 06:18 PM

580 posts, read 777,317 times
Yes.

House is much bigger. Cars are the same. Restaurant and vacation budget has increased noticeably. Neither of us are clothing freaks (wife splurges every now and again).

However, monthly savings have at least tripled, with maxed 401Ks as well.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:40 PM

63 posts, read 119,631 times
100% yes for us!

We been together for 11 years (29 years old now) and we are no longer broke college students or just starting out. So yes, our lives is 180 degrees from where it was when we just graduated college at 22-23 and got married, or 25 after my wife Master's degrees. And it will probably be different a decade or two from now ....

We went from earning low income, to having professional jobs, just starting out to now making a descent income in our careers and hopefully moving up the ladder. Yes life is good, but we are also further ahead at 29 than we thought we would be.

But besides lifestyle growing you know what grew insanely fast:
- Retirement
- Investments
- Emergency Fund

I believe it is a balancing act, and finding what you are happy with. We've worked hard and sacrificed a lot to get to where we are today and we don't feel guilty enjoying the fruit of our labor. We also understand the importance of savings, rainy day fund and retirement so save diligently.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:01 PM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
I feel like I have become "free-er" with our money as our income and investments have grown. I have always been frugal by nature, but I no longer feel like I have to get "the best" deal or cheapest price like I once did. For example, we travel by car a lot and we'd often stay at mediocre hotels on the road like Days Inn or Comfort Inn. Now, I like Hampton Inn or SpringHill Suites. And once you're used to better things, it's hard to go back. On the other hand, we just went up a notch - we didn't go from Days Inn to Ritz Carlton.

Same is true for grocery shopping. I buy better quality meats and other food than I used to. And if the only fruit in season is apples, but I want strawberries, I will buy them, even if they are pricey.

Before I would sometimes get semi-mad at myself if I went out to eat with friends and spent $40 on a meal because that was much more than I'd usually spend eating out. Now, I don't feel bad about splurges like because they really don't happen very often. I've come to realize the cost isn't just for the food but for an evening out and spending time with friends who I don't see often enough.

We still do everything within budget - we just have adjusted the budget some to enjoy more things.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:41 AM

4,187 posts, read 3,400,840 times
I don't have a 'lifestyle.' I have a life.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:30 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
Starting out during college, it was a minimal lifestyle. We scrimped and saved for several years. After some years of experience and strategic moves and job changes, our income increased. Our standard of living has increased along with it. We don't have to scrimp so much, but saving is always good. It's never good to waste money, but it is okay to occasionally enjoy nicer things in life. The advice I was given for raises in pay was to save the amount of the increase. Live below your means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living