Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 07:34 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
And this is exactly why I prefer Europe.

Taxes included in the price. Good service? Leave a € or two and the change. None of this "My 21.99 meal and drink really costs $30" bull**** we have to deal with here.
Yes well although I love my European clients...
They should know coming in to me that tips are not included here as they are in Europe.
I've had the pleasure of providing some fantastic services to them...
We get along amazingly & they even invite me to where they live-
Even giving me their personal info.
LOL but then I find out afterwards they assumed the tip is included in the price
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 08:38 AM

276 posts, read 337,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
its really not too tough to calculate 20% its like 2 bucks on every 10 spent so you spend 20 bucks on dinner tip is $4. not exactly rocket science.
I fear you badly overestimate the mathematical abilities of the general population. I commonly sit with groups of folks at restaurants and only about 3 in ten can calculate a tip percentage without using their smartphone. That why many leave a $5 dollar on a $90 tab and think it's pretty good. They never did the math, because they can't.
Edit: Or it's too much trouble.

Last edited by Neosec; 01-04-2015 at 09:21 AM..

Old 01-04-2015, 09:15 AM

893 posts, read 885,486 times
So many assumptions on who is "rich"

Old 01-04-2015, 10:13 AM

^^^ What are you talking about...??

I get to see what my clients do for a living....
Many are wealthy.....some of them are my regulars.
It's hit or miss with who tips well & who doesn't.
I do find that the people who were born in to money, the entitled spoiled types are the worst....
The ones who actually had to earn every penny they have, they tip better......

Old 01-04-2015, 10:40 AM

276 posts, read 337,847 times
This thread has caused me to do some research and evaluate my tipping behavior. I found from Wikipedia...

"The American federal government requires a wage of at least $2.13 per hour be paid to employees that receive at least $30 per month in tips. If wages and tips do not equal the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour during any pay period, the employer is required to increase cash wages to compensate."

I was not aware of the fact that the employer was required to make up the difference (wages - tips) to get to minimum wage.

Another issue, around here anyway, is it's restaurant policy (law?) to pool tips together then divide them up equally, including to some of the kitchen staff.

I think it sucks that, if I get great service and tip 20%, that MY waitress can't keep what she worked for and has to share it with some staff that may be on the verge of getting fired for incompetence. Does this happen elsewhere across the country and does it cause conflict with the staff. I rarely tip 20% any more because I just don't see service that's worth it. Service has gone badly down hill around here. I think it's because there's no incentive to work for tips since they get split up.

I may look for other ways to tip for exceptional service that my waiter/waitress can't share.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:52 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosec View Post
I may look for other ways to tip for exceptional service that my waiter/waitress can't share.
Put the chinchy 10% on the CC slip and CASH ...in their hand.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Put the chinchy 10% on the CC slip and CASH ...in their hand.
I love those clients

Working downtown has been an eye opener for me...
What a joke.
So I provide excellent service, get paid pretty well....
But then I find out the place has me splitting my tips with the desk people who take appointments?!?!
Oh Hell no.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:55 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
I treated my parents to breakfast this morning and dad insisted on picking up the tip.

I was like "Sure, as long as you tip 20%." I tip 20% as a rule, and those waitresses work hard. Plus, that restaurant is usually busy but was pretty slow that morning, so tipping generously was good for them too. AND, none of us ever saw the bottoms of our coffee cups.

We're Jewish and people assume Jewish people are stingy and therefore bad tippers. My dad tips 16.5% usually (that's double the tax amount here) and thinks that he's a good tipper, but I'm trying to get him to tip 20% as a rule.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:14 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I tip 20% as a rule
My dad tips 16.5% usually and thinks that he's a good tipper
15% is PAR for table service; 10% is PAR at the bar.
Don't expect to pay less.

More than this is generous and when the service is as YOU like it...
then by all means be generous. Occasionally, be over-generous.

I'm often generous as well and frankly wished service quality warranted it more often.
Sadly, it doesn't measure up even to par in far too many instances.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:23 PM

482 posts, read 901,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I had a table of 8 today. The bill was $90. I got a $5 tip and she was all proud of it. FML
Geez, I would hand the 5 bucks back to her and say "you probably need this more than me."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living