Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 07:27 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Hubby calls it the weekly cleansing. I always thought it was a joke. And then I was diagnosed with diabetes and made a major change in the way we eat, and after a month, the hubby ended up in the ER one night for abdominal pain...it was constipation because all I was cooking was chicken and veggies, so he was just eating a chicken breast and mashed potatoes every day (he won't eat veggies). He actually has diverticulosis now from having gotten so constipated. So his doctor prescribed fiber pills and laxatives and he tried that for a while, but it didn't really work, so we're back to one or two really large meals a week for him. For example, tomorrow night I will make two pizzas, the size of a large takeout pizza. I will eat two slices, and our two kids will each have two slices, and then my husband will eat the other 10 slices, probably split into two meals a couple hours apart.
I hate to criticize you for your husband's bad eating habits, but I do want to point out that a major change in the way he eats would not include a pizza meal. At all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 07:40 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
It's not a matter of being cheap. It's too many calories and a lot of hard work and effort down the drain.
Down the drain? Hardly. Fueling a husband is a GOOD thing.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:51 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
When I cook extra, i mention this to DH. "We have enough for lunch tomorrow", or "we can eat this for supper tomorrow night."

Sometimes it works.
I think this is a great idea. If she clearly states that what's left over is for a future meal, it seems like he would be less likely to eat the rest as seconds.

On the other hand........ she doesn't say that she actually saw him eat it, just that it was gone. Maybe he didn't like it an threw it out so he wouldn't have to eat it again.

Or maybe he saw a homeless guy digging through the trash for food and gave it to him.

Or maybe it's not gone at all. Maybe he wanted to help her out and went ahead and put the leftovers in the freezer.

Probably not, but you never really know.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:08 AM

334 posts, read 537,341 times
Let him eat like that once in awhile.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
passionate eaters are not to forward thinking (save for tomorrow)

Having worked many harvest crews - food for fuel and BIG eaters.
  1. adequate, balanced nutrients
  2. Limited qty of the expensive stuff
  3. plenty of 'fillers' with some nutritional value
  4. limited time to eat / 'graze'
  5. lots of free and filling water
  6. fresh fruit for snacking / filling up after meals
  7. no chips / sodas between meals
  8. participatory shopping... Have them shell out the cash! (for 30 yrs we have used the envelope method... $100 / month, When it is empty, we go without (purchases... freezer / hunting / fishing / gardening / volunteering at homeless food service are all ez ways to subsist.).
  9. Creative Nutrition education (with pics of what obesity costs and causes.)
  10. age... Someday it will ALL catch up to them. (weight / joints / clothes / shoes / feet / health / physique )

Since OP is Oregon based.... fill him up with Bob's Redmill Steel cut oatmeal (or other beneficial grains).

Old 12-24-2014, 11:46 AM

2,906 posts, read 1,981,289 times
Guessing he doesn't eat like that all the time if you are blowing off steam over that one meal. I'm single but limit myself to one large meal every one or two weeks, mostly because I'm middle-aged, don't burn off the calories with extreme exercise like I used to, and my metabolism is a whole lot slower.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about him eating like that once in awhile, especially since you said he works long hours. Once in awhile he probably will be ravenous. And if you restrict his food intake at home to avoid arguments he'll probably just eat something before he gets home and either eat twice or say he's not hungry.

Funny, I've thought to myself as I'm preparing a pound and a half of ground beef for tacos, if I were married my wife would try restricting my meals to what she considered acceptable. Wouldn't work with me, it just wouldn't. If I ate like that very often it would be catastrophic to my health, but I don't. Maybe once or twice a month, and I only eat one meal a day. The meals I have on other days other people wouldn't even consider meals they are so small. An apple maybe one day, a potato another, you get the drift.

Sometimes men are just going to have an incredible appetite if it's something they like and they haven't had a large meal recently.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:58 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
I generally dislike TV commercials, but one that cracked me up was for a Hungry Man meal. Two guys were manning the floodwaters in a raging storm. One fellow had eaten a Hungry Man meal. The other one had eaten 'a small serving of quiche with a spoonful of peas and three baby carrots.'

The storm blew him away.

Don't expect a man to eat like an eleven-year-old girl.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:38 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Make 2 kilos instead of 2 pounds.
There. Solved that for you.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:17 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Hubby calls it the weekly cleansing. I always thought it was a joke. And then I was diagnosed with diabetes and made a major change in the way we eat, and after a month, the hubby ended up in the ER one night for abdominal pain...it was constipation because all I was cooking was chicken and veggies, so he was just eating a chicken breast and mashed potatoes every day (he won't eat veggies). He actually has diverticulosis now from having gotten so constipated. So his doctor prescribed fiber pills and laxatives and he tried that for a while, but it didn't really work, so we're back to one or two really large meals a week for him. For example, tomorrow night I will make two pizzas, the size of a large takeout pizza. I will eat two slices, and our two kids will each have two slices, and then my husband will eat the other 10 slices, probably split into two meals a couple hours apart.

Probably the fat content of the pizza is making him have more bowel movements. Maybe try more fat in his day to day diet instead of the occasional huge meal.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:34 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I hate to criticize you for your husband's bad eating habits, but I do want to point out that a major change in the way he eats would not include a pizza meal. At all.
I had to put the pizza back on the menu because it's cheaper than trips to the ER, xrays and all that stuff, and more predictable than the laxatives the doctor prescribed. I also started making enchiladas and picadillo tacos again for the same reason, and allowing trips to Whataburger.

My homemade pizza is not that bad for a person...in 1/8th of a pizza, or one slice, there's 263 calories, 10g fat, 31g carbs, 13g protein. I've been eating it once a week during the past year and still managed to lose a significant amount of weight. If my husband would eat maybe 3 or 4 slices instead of 10, it would be a healthier meal for him, but I watched my mom try to control my dad's eating the whole time I was growing up, and I'm just not willing to live that way, especially when my husband is not overweight, no diabetes, no high blood pressure or cholesterol problems...I'm the one who's prone to those types of problems and I'm always going to have to keep good control over my food intake, but my husband's food intake isn't my problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living