Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 12:17 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,066,105 times

Advertisements

Just curious what your guys plans are for new year. A few years back when I was still into the bar scene and clubs and all that I used to like going to the hotel parties where its like $150 all you can drink and a big party. It was fun but then you gotta get a hotel room which even if you split with 4 or 5 people it just turns into an expensive night.

Last year a friend of mine was living in a cool highrise across the street from Navy Pier in chicago so had a lowkey kind of adult sleepvoer night and just drank at the house, went outside for fireworks at midnight and had a laid back evening.

My friend is no longer living there but were doing the same thing this year, just having a house party, ordering some food in and drinking at home, no expensive dinners or big parties. I like new years and its definately still a special occasion but not hte same way it was when I was a little younger, its kind of just antoher night.

Just curious whether you guys are having a spendy or thrifty new years this year. I can see some people who scrimp throughout the year saying its NYE lets go all out and enjoy ourselves while others will probably continue being frugal as usual. Just curuious what you guys are up to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 01:15 PM

9,613 posts, read 21,168,035 times
I might rent a recent movie on DVD to watch rather than pulling a VHS tape out of the stash.

Heck, if I'm feeling really loose with my cash I might even spring for a new release.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:21 PM

7,021 posts, read 14,423,265 times
I still don't get New Years.. why does changing a single number in my date once every 365 days deserve a celebration?

Old 12-30-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I still don't get New Years.. why does changing a single number in my date once every 365 days deserve a celebration?
You could make the same argument about Birthdays or Wedding Anniversaries or pretty much anything else for that matter, whats the point.

New Years eve or day doesn't have to be some huge expensive or special event. Heck I've stayed home on NYE and not reallydone anything and wasn't heartbroken over it but same way radio does hottest songs of the year, tv does hottest news stories of the Year. Its nice to get together with friends and/or family and kind of celebrate the year that passed, acccomplishments, spending time iwht the people who were important to you throughout the year, etc.

The new years celebration to me is kind of a way of spending time with people who have been friends or shared memories with you over the course of the year, celebrating accomplishments, of hte year, etc. Any excuse to spend some time with friends nad family is cool in my book.

I normally do something with friends on New Years Eve and get together with family and share a meal and watch some bowl games on New Years Day.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:03 PM

22,192 posts, read 29,204,172 times
Looks like I'll be spending NYE in a hotel so just some ambian for me

Old 12-30-2014, 02:06 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,130,818 times
Working.

So frugal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Looks like I'll be spending NYE in a hotel so just some ambian for me
Get a lady to join you and have some fun with ambian like tiger woods lol

9,613 posts, read 21,168,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
You could make the same argument about Birthdays or Wedding Anniversaries or pretty much anything else for that matter, whats the point.
The difference is that with a birthday or wedding anniversary you are commemorating the specific date that a significant event in your life took place. With New Years Day all you're really commemorating is the day you put up a new calendar.

Quote:
New Years eve or day doesn't have to be some huge expensive or special event. Heck I've stayed home on NYE and not reallydone anything and wasn't heartbroken over it but same way radio does hottest songs of the year, tv does hottest news stories of the Year.
Which raises the question, why is the number one song between January 1 and December 31 of a given year a bigger deal than the song that is number one between April 1 of this year and March 31 of next year? It's totally arbitrary and designed to sell advertising. The eligibility period for the Grammy Awards is October 1 through September 30, it seems like it would make more sense to count down the biggest hits during that period.

Quote:
Its nice to get together with friends and/or family and kind of celebrate the year that passed, acccomplishments, spending time iwht the people who were important to you throughout the year, etc.

The new years celebration to me is kind of a way of spending time with people who have been friends or shared memories with you over the course of the year, celebrating accomplishments, of hte year, etc. Any excuse to spend some time with friends nad family is cool in my book.
Which is something you can do any day of the year.

Quote:
I normally do something with friends on New Years Eve and get together with family and share a meal and watch some bowl games on New Years Day.
Nothing wrong with that, but are you getting together with family to watch bowl games because it's New Year's Day, or simply because that's the day most of the bowl games are played? Will your New Year's Day tradition change if for some reason they decided to start making the first Saturday in January the day for the major bowl games instead?

Last edited by duster1979; 12-30-2014 at 02:17 PM..

Old 12-30-2014, 02:08 PM

11,137 posts, read 7,872,679 times
Sort of spendy. Been up at Mammoth Mountain skiing since the 23ed of December and not planning on going home until the 2ed of the new year. It's 23 degrees and snowing quite hard as we speak .

Old 12-30-2014, 02:39 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,252 posts, read 4,284,254 times
Staying pretty frugal with the possibility of spendy. I used Marriott points to stay for free at the National Harbor in the DC area and bought a bottle of Champagne at the local grocery chain, but we are winging the rest of the evening. So who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living