Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 11:08 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,068 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is a frugal question or more a personal finance one, but here goes:

Just curious as to were you would put take-out or carry-out food, for example a take-out sub (where you save 1/2 for next days lunch). This would be also ordering pizza to be delivered. Would this go in a going-out budget column or a food/groceries column?

I can see it both ways, but I usually put stuff like this in the "food" column.

"Going Out" would be more sit-down dining or eating at the restaurant, as well as bars and coffee shops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 11:11 AM

772 posts, read 913,169 times
It would be in the "wasting money" column. If you were talking about being Frugal

It would be in the "misc / fun money" column. If you were talking about personal finance.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:32 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,510 times
^^ Yep! I eat out ALL the time. Not literally, but practically the only thing I 'cook' is hard boiled eggs in the microwave.

"Frugal" people can go nuts when talking about all the money people spend (waste?) by eating out.
But if you can "afford" to eat out -- does it matter whether it's in someone else's "wasting" money of "misc/fun money" column.

Besides, does frugal mean you have to save VERY. SINGLE. PENNY. you can ALL. THE. TIME. -- or just finding deals when you can and in general not spending more than your have to.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:41 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,068 times
Quote:
"Frugal" people can go nuts when talking about all the money people spend
(waste?) by eating out.
Actually I pretty rarely eat out (actually only when I am having a dinner with a friend, never by myself), but sometimes I will pick up a sub on the way home if I am on my way home exceptionally late). So was curious about this as a budget thing.

I can see the conceptual difference with eating out as "entertainment" or "fun", but that wasn't why I would be buying the sub sandwich or pizza.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:01 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,033 times
I think it can go either way.

I personally put it in my "eat out" category, but that's because it's usually a couple of pizzas for the whole family, in addition to my regular grocery bill, not in place of some portion of it.

In the case of getting a $5 foot-long that lasts you two meals, I could see putting it into the grocery category.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:52 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,510 times
^^ My eating out budget IS my food budget.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:21 PM

21,828 posts, read 25,094,690 times
Entertainment category. I eat out a fair amount because I'm lazy and don't like cooking all the time.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:39 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Would this go in a going-out budget column or a groceries column?
Anywhere other than groceries.

Assuming you track these things don't dilute the home eating cost number. Don't include paper
or soap or booze or anything else you might also buy at the grocery store in that number either.
Just food.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:45 PM

22,555 posts, read 47,605,466 times
I track all food as 'Food', and keep it under 10% for budget purposes.

In Quicken, my categories include:
Food:Concessions
Food:Groceries
Food:Restaurant

Since take-out comes from a restaurant, that is where I would put it.

And only food is Food... no household items and the like.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:52 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,125,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Actually I pretty rarely eat out (actually only when I am having a dinner with a friend, never by myself), but sometimes I will pick up a sub on the way home if I am on my way home exceptionally late). So was curious about this as a budget thing.

I can see the conceptual difference with eating out as "entertainment" or "fun", but that wasn't why I would be buying the sub sandwich or pizza.
I also consider "eating out" as entertainment such as going out to a restaurant with friends. I will pick up a sub or go through a drive thru at lunchtime a couple times a month, and I budget for this under the grocery budget. It depends on how you want to track things. If I wanted to keep track of or reduce how much I got take out for lunch, I would track it separately from groceries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living