U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 10:40 AM

788 posts, read 787,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
I use Google Voice with an Obi100 box at home for free calling over my internet. I've had it for two years now and I've been happy with it. Then we have Tracfone cell phones for less than $10/mo each, we occasionally make calls with them while we are out of the house. The Tracfone smartphones could use Google Voice on wifi also if we needed it.
Thanks for posting this! This is exactly the transition I want to make! Now I'm glad that you mentioned this "Obi100" box, because I am unfamiliar with this. What exactly is a Obi100 box? And will I need one to proceed with my plan? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 10:56 AM

1,133 posts, read 3,177,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
Thanks for posting this! This is exactly the transition I want to make! Now I'm glad that you mentioned this "Obi100" box, because I am unfamiliar with this. What exactly is a Obi100 box? And will I need one to proceed with my plan? Thanks in advance.
There are some other threads here in Frugal Living about VOIP and the GV/Obi. That's where I learned about it!

The Obi100 (and other Obi boxes) plug into your modem and into a regular handset telephone. You can use with Google Voice or some other paid VOIP services. Mine works well with our glacier-slow 3mbps DSL.

Go to obihai.com for more info. There is also a forum there. I got my Obi100 box on amazon for about $40. You can get them on newegg, ebay and other places. There are thousands of reviews on the Obi100 page on amazon.

I really like the Google Voice as I can log into my account and change settings for my use. I can also view a history of all phone calls and voice message transcripts. I get emails when I have a voice mail and also get text messages sent to my cell phone of voice mails left on my GV number.

Google Voice can be a little glitchy at times but for FREE it's great!

Old 01-12-2015, 11:11 AM

788 posts, read 787,832 times
Quote:
There are some other threads here in Frugal Living about VOIP and the GV/Obi. That's where I learned about it!

The Obi100 (and other Obi boxes) plug into your modem and into a regular handset telephone. You can use with Google Voice or some other paid VOIP services. Mine works well with our glacier-slow 3mbps DSL.

Go to obihai.com for more info. There is also a forum there. I got my Obi100 box on amazon for about $40. You can get them on newegg, ebay and other places. There are thousands of reviews on the Obi100 page on amazon.

I really like the Google Voice as I can log into my account and change settings for my use. I can also view a history of all phone calls and voice message transcripts. I get emails when I have a voice mail and also get text messages sent to my cell phone of voice mails left on my GV number.

Google Voice can be a little glitchy at times but for FREE it's great!
Cool, I will check out those resources, thanks again man!

Old 01-13-2015, 06:41 AM

506 posts, read 414,262 times
That's fine and it is my setup as well ... Although i also have a normal phone number.

I pay 3 dollars per month for a payg phone plan which gives me 100 minutes.

I always use the WiFi with Google voice ... But whenever I'm out of WiFi can always resort to the normal cell phone line and people still are able to call me where I forward my Google voice number to the cell phone line.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:09 AM

15,387 posts, read 8,684,668 times
Quote:
So...long story short, my cell phone service provider pissed me off now I plan to completely cancel our service with them. I have been comparing my options with other companies (both cellular and landline) and nothing really seems to be a very good deal...

So...I had a brainstorm idea! Why not just set up our nice smartphones to use wifi calling, for free! So I looked into it and it is very possible; I ended up using google voice and google hangouts dialer (I'm sure there are other ways to do it too). Anyway, now my wife and I each have a new phone number provided by google (free of charge), and we can make unlimited calls and texts nationwide as long as we are somewhere that has wifi (we have wifi at home so this is immediately better than a landline phone due to having no long distance charges and being absolutely free). A lot of the other places we go have wifi as well (gym, library, etc) so we will be able to use it there too. I also plan to get my wife a "lifeline" or "lifelink" phones (whatever its called (it's that government sponsered free cell phone) for emergencies.

So...I just completely eliminated my phone bill. I went from $110 per month to $0.00! Has anybody else done this? Any feedback?
You expect to get a free cell phone, but you can afford to go to a gym? Nice.....

Old 01-13-2015, 12:23 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,450,881 times
Quote:
So...long story short, my cell phone service provider pissed me off now I plan to completely cancel our service with them. I have been comparing my options with other companies (both cellular and landline) and nothing really seems to be a very good deal...

So...I had a brainstorm idea! Why not just set up our nice smartphones to use wifi calling, for free! So I looked into it and it is very possible; I ended up using google voice and google hangouts dialer (I'm sure there are other ways to do it too). Anyway, now my wife and I each have a new phone number provided by google (free of charge), and we can make unlimited calls and texts nationwide as long as we are somewhere that has wifi (we have wifi at home so this is immediately better than a landline phone due to having no long distance charges and being absolutely free). A lot of the other places we go have wifi as well (gym, library, etc) so we will be able to use it there too. I also plan to get my wife a "lifeline" or "lifelink" phones (whatever its called (it's that government sponsered free cell phone) for emergencies.

So...I just completely eliminated my phone bill. I went from $110 per month to $0.00! Has anybody else done this? Any feedback?

One of my friend's does this. He also keeps a prepaid sim in his car for emergency calls.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:29 PM

1,133 posts, read 3,177,730 times
Just got this in my email from Obihai.com

Get the OBi100 at Newegg for Only $29.99
Use Promo Code: EMCAKKP56 @ Checkout

Old 01-14-2015, 06:32 AM

3,268 posts, read 2,369,240 times
Quote:
Just got this in my email from Obihai.com

Get the OBi100 at Newegg for Only $29.99
Use Promo Code: EMCAKKP56 @ Checkout
I do the Obi+Google Voice as well and could not be happier. The device is simple to install and other than the initial cost of the device ($30 to $40) it's a free home landline. I have heard rumors that it may not work with Google Voice some time in the future but as of now it's still working.

Have also used Straight Talk for years. I gave up on them this year due to their throttling back of your speeds once you hit a certain # for data usage. Their phone choices are also not great. The few nicer phones they have are $600 apiece, no thanks. Great for unlimited calls and text but not so great if you use your phone for other things or need it while traveling, etc.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:58 AM

766 posts, read 1,111,642 times
I have a cheap $20 flip phone (cell) & use U.S. Cellular... $40/month... unlimited talk & text.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:16 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,559,320 times
Your safest bet is either a Ooma or Obi with Google Voice, and a cheap minutes/text only cell phone for while you are out and in case of emergency. If your internet goes down and you need to call tech support for help, without another phone to use, your up the creek. We keep a 1000 minute a year Ppaid T-Mobile for that. It costs $100 and lasts us a year. There are better deals, say with Page Plus where you can get I think around 450 minutes a month for about $12 a month. That is on the Verizon network.

Nothing could be more frustrating to have your internet go down, and no way to make a call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living