U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 01:44 PM

159 posts, read 136,129 times

Advertisements

Why not get freedompop? They have cell phone service now for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 12:28 AM

788 posts, read 786,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NToma99 View Post
Why not get freedompop? They have cell phone service now for free.
I had if for a few months, nothing but good things to say about them.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:59 PM

133 posts, read 198,009 times
U have to buy their phone.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:06 PM

2,850 posts, read 765,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Not sure how Straight talk picks what network we are on, (But it does not change, I stay on V, Son on A) We did not get a choice.

All 3 ATT/Verzion/Sprint have very good coverage where we live, (Had all 3 since i've lived in GA in last 10 years).

When we get outside the suburban area, I found Sprint's Roaming, somewhat iffy.

Had ATT, when Moved here in 2003, switched to Verizon for 4 year, then Sprint for 4.

Since Straight Talk run on the on the others networks, I don't have any issues, any where in the US that I've been.
It depends on what phone you buy.
Some are CDMA and some are GSM. Depending on which you buy, is what network they put you on.

In the U.S., Sprint, Verizon and U.S. Cellular use CDMA. AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:58 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
I pay only local service on a landline. For free long distance, I just use my Google Mail dialer.

I can't remember the last time I needed to make a phone call that couldn't wait until I got home. Maybe 20, 30 years.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:24 PM

9,064 posts, read 9,217,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I can't remember the last time I needed to make a phone call that couldn't wait until I got home. Maybe 20, 30 years.
While the older ones among us remember when there were no cell phones, there were more pay phones. You can buy a $20 Android phone at Walmart, don't activate it to cell towers, install Google Hangouts Dialer, and at least you can make phone calls from places with free wifi (Most fast food, many supermarkets, library, some retail stores). You are not totally trapped in an amergency. You can even buy 2 hours of outgoing cell calls from American Roaming for $15 in a true emergency where you can't get to wifi.

There is no reason not to spend that minimal amount of money to cover yourself in emergencies.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:15 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post

There is no reason not to spend that minimal amount of money to cover yourself in emergencies.
I'm in my 70s and I've gone my whole life and raised three kids without ever having a single "emergency" in which a telephone would have been useful. But there have been a couple of times when having a phone would have been convenient, but then I just waited for a passerby (everybody else has a phone) to come by and make a call for me. Nowadays, it's like not wearing a watch, you can ask somebody what time it is.

Forgetting which brand of cat food you're supposed to buy on a shopping trip is not an emergency.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Forgetting which brand of cat food you're supposed to buy on a shopping trip is not an emergency.
A wi-fi phone may or may not work in a supermarket. You may have to pull into the parking lot of a burger king to get free wifi.

Anyway a one time purchase of $20 with no recurring monthly charge is minimal, and it should be "convenient". To refuse to spend that much money because we didn't have it prior to 1983 is just being curmudgeonly.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:49 AM

1,627 posts, read 2,636,462 times
I have a Ooma, two phone numbers, caller id, call waiting, 3 way calling, faxing, if you have someone you don't want to talk to ever again, you can make the option of a recording "this phone has been disconnected" and all messages go to my email that is transferred to my cell. $14.50 a month. Lots more options. Cell phone: $12 a month.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:04 PM

I have been working with Google Voice/Hangouts/Dialer/Gmail on a $20 Android tablet for a few weeks now, and I have to say that I am very impressed for no monthly fee.

A few points for people:
If you just install Google Hangouts you can only make outgoing calls, and the caller gets "UNKNOWN" on their caller ID. They often don't pick up.
If you install Google voice you can receive calls, and the phone number you choose appears on the Caller ID for your outgoing calls. In order to get a number you must give a reference number which is an existing phone number via more conventional means. I understand that, as the government would object to giving out untraceable phone numbers. A drug dealer could get a new number every day, and call his contacts to give his number out.

For casual usage going to public WiFi is not that difficult. I had a problem at Walmart yesterday, and I had to go to Burger King next door to make calls and access the Walmart app (they had no wifi in Walmart). If you can live with those kind of inconveniences, in favor of several hundred dollars for cellular, this is a good option for you.

As I mentioned, American Roaming Network sells 120 minutes of outgoing calls (good for one year) for $15 if you have to make cellular connections.

==========================
My recommendation is to install the Google software on your existing tablets or Android phones so you can take make free calls. If you must cancel your cell service to save money, you can fall back to the wifi phone.

However, if you are starting from scratch or you want to give something to your children/elderly for emergency situations, then Scratch Wireless is a better deal. The buy in price is only $100, and you get to voice/text/data over wifi for free and you can send/receive texts over cellular for free. You can buy a 1 day cellular pass (over Sprint Network) for $2. It will be less confusing for children.

Most business people require full cell phone service. But cell service is normally at least $500/year per phone even before you pay for data. Some families with two children and/or some aging parents may find this a good option
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living