Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 10:45 AM

266 posts, read 449,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
" Do you sacrifice quality to be frugal? "
Not at all!
Frugal does not mean cheap or miserly.
I buy the best quality I can for the best price I can get.
I'm with you PITT CHICK.

For me quality is number one. I must add though, I generally focus on synergy within quality. Anything that serves multiple benefit for the price (even if a little more) of an ordinary single thing is a sweet reward.

Frugality is not being a tightwad per se, frugality is not subscribing to all the junk many clutter their lives with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 05:46 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times
Sometimes I will. Not too much tho. My big expense outside of shelter/utilities is food, and I am usually not going to sacrifice there (as I try avoid packaged stuff and eat mostly fresh or frozen veggies , and fresh fruit.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:30 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Many times. If it is something that will get lost quickly, it's not worth paying more for something that lasts. Examples: gloves, torches, calculators.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:13 PM

7,038 posts, read 6,289,652 times
I had an opportunity to buy enamel coated cast iron pans & roaster for 1/2 price. Really had to think about the cash outlay but then I looked at my regular set of pots/pans, which I paid a lot for 40 years ago & still use to this day & chided myself for being a little too frugal & bought them. They arrived today & will be a wonderful addition to my cookware.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:21 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,773,530 times
Depends on the item. I'm willing to pay more for quality when it concerns technology (cell phones, internet, etc). If it's something I plan to use every day, I'm willing to shell out more money for it.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:57 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,331,832 times
Some process food tastes better with brand names. Some tastes the same. So it depends. Raw meat is raw meat to me, when I finish stry fry, it tastes the same so if I can get a cut of beef for $2.99 vs a different cut for $4.99. I go for the $2.99/lb beef.

I don't spend extra money on all natural, all organic, unless it's on sale and it's cheaper the all the non-organic. I don't buy top end grade/cuts. I shop wherever its cheap, no store brand loyalty. It can be at Grocery Outlet to Safeway to Costco.

Electronics is where I stick to brand names I like. Now, I don't buy the highest top end but I don't buy low end either. For example, I don't buy Vizio tvs. I don't buy lower end Sony receivers, I stick to other brands.

For clothes, I don't care. I go cheap. I bought clothes from Walmart, Ross, thrift stores, etc. Don't matter to me, if it's cheap and decent looking, I buy. Many of my dress shirt, most of them new were purchased at thrift stores. Not the color I wanted but it's wearable. Why pay $30-$40 for new dress shirt, when I can get it for $7-$10 for brand new donated ones at a second hand store? Of course, I buy my undies from a new store but I too go cheap on them, Walmart.

For me, I haven't been able to distinguish between quality high end furniture to low end. They all look and feel the same to me. A dining table is a dining table whether it's $10K or $200 from Craigslist. A leather sofa is a leather sofa whether it's $5,000 or $300. Can't tell the difference, so I go cheap and affordable. I have no issue buying used furniture too, with the exception of mattress...that's have to be new.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:58 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Many times. If it is something that will get lost quickly, it's not worth paying more for something that lasts. Examples: gloves, torches, calculators.
Or pens.. I'll usually get a package of 10+ at the dollar store and it'll all be gone in less than a year.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:04 AM

480 posts, read 623,191 times
I cannot drink cheap coffee. It is one of the items I will spend extra money for. I've been getting the Pete's at Costco so it is a better value than what the grocery stores sell. I pack a thermos for work so I'm not spending $2 for a cup out.

Most of the time I try to buy quality items over cheap if its something I plan on owning for a long time. I don't spend much on clothing but I do enjoy new vs used. Sometimes we hit the thrift shops but in recent years they have raised prices to the point that you're better off buying new on sale IMO.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:56 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,995 times
I consider adequate quality for my purposes. I was just reading some was getting cheapest dog food they could find. I did my own research and talked to my vet. The dog food I get is considered high quality. It's not the most expensive and I have never heard the brand names that my research found.

I don't use paper plates and the dishwasher liquid soap that I use is from a dollar store.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:29 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
I won't sacrifice liquor/wine taste to be frugal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living