Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 05:45 AM

14 posts, read 15,219 times

Advertisements

I calculated my 2014 expenses for food. We are a family of 5 (2 adults, 2 boys ages 10 and 8 and a baby). My mother in law stays with us for a few weeks each year and we also pay for her meals. We also have some extended family over for meals or take them out to eat throughout the year.

We spent about $1,100/month on food (groceries plus out to eat at restaurants) in 2014. We spend about $900/month on groceries for food and about $200/month at restaurants. We go out to eat 1-2 times a week. My wife and I go to lunch maybe once a week without the kids which is good for our marriage. I lost over 200 pounds so now I try to eat healthier. I have noticed that my food budget has actually gone up since I eat healthier. I now eat a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables which cost more than junk food. I also exercise at least two hours a day and eat a lot of lean protein such as fresh boneless chicken breasts. Eating healthier also cuts down on current and future medical expenses. You can eat healthy foods on a budget but I like to vary my fresh produce for variety which can cost more. I generally prefer the produce at the local grocery store over the local Walmart. The Walmart produce is lower quality in my opinion. We also added to our food storage in 2014. We now have about a year's worth of food storage.

I made $112k gross income in 2014 in a city with lower cost of living. Our food budget was about 12% of our total expenses to put that in perspective. When I was in college as a single person 20 years ago, I used to spend about $40/week. When my wife and I were first married about 13 years ago, we spent about $100/week on groceries. Now that my income has gone up, we have increased our food budget and that is reflected in our lifestyle. We could definitely cut back on our food budget if we needed to and eat more beans and rice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 09:47 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,685 times
^Thanks, we are almost in the same situation, though I have 4 kids.

Calculating my future budget for my family (we just moved to US), and groceries will be about 20% of my NET income.

If I may ask, which city do you live? I live in Arizona and I earn way below than yours

Old 02-12-2015, 04:56 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Went way down when I stepped on the scale and realize what an oinker I had become.

An estimate is, well, somewhere between 120 and 150 bucks a month.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:11 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Mint says $850/month + $550/month for restaurants for 2.

Could be less but I can afford it and I don't like eating junk.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:34 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Mint says $850/month + $550/month for restaurants for 2.

Could be less but I can afford it and I don't like eating junk.
We are spending $12/day for 3 people. Not sure about restaurants since pay in cash, but about $70/month (specials).

Old 02-22-2015, 06:28 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,799 times
i'm still in college, but my food budget is around $55/month. I get a ton of free meals though (around 5 a week). Luckily, where I'll work after graduation provides free lunch! I coupon shop a lot and buy things on sale.

my eat out/entertainment budget around $30/month (really mostly just eat out budget).

so really it's $85/month.

i need to cut it down to $50/month.

Last edited by stellastar2345; 02-22-2015 at 06:47 PM..

Old 02-23-2015, 12:17 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
You're eating on less than three dollars a day, and you want to cut it back further? Even SNAP allots $4.50 per day per person, which would amount to a monthly food budget of about $135 for a single person.

Last edited by randomparent; 02-23-2015 at 01:12 PM..

Old 02-24-2015, 12:17 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
I have my budget set at $300/month (groceries, cat food/products, and toiletries) and $250 for anything eaten out (restaurant) or fast food in nature (coffee, 7-11 stuff, etc.) That's for both of us (and our cats, obviously) in a high COL area---NYC.

We do go over here or there, especially if it's a month where we go on vacation or a month with multiple birthdays but we can stick to it when we want to. When I was unemployed for awhile, our entire monthly budget for everything listed above was $300 for the both of us.

We live in a tiny place so COSTCO isn't really an option since we have no where to store stuff. Aldi just starting opening up stores in the area but their prices on meat seem way too high, IMO. The most important thing is really to learn how much things cost in your area and figure out what's a good price/sales price and stock up accordingly. I wish I had more freezer space, TBH.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:07 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
You're eating on less than three dollars a day, and you want to cut it back further? Even SNAP allots $4.50 per day per person, which would amount to a monthly food budget of about $135 for a single person.
i'm a girl, so I eat less. Plus like I said, I usually manage to get one free meal a day thanks to college activities.

Breakfast is a really cheap meal if you just eat unflavored oatmeal or cereal. Plus, there has been so many times Publix has had a buy one get one free deal on cereal, and then I have a $0.50 cent off 2 boxes of the same cereal (doubles to $1). I usually stock up when that happens. That's a super cheap meal.

I want to cut down on my eating out (I really shouldn't be eating out at all!). I could also start buying off brand things rather than the named brand items.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:36 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
i'm a girl, so I eat less. Plus like I said, I usually manage to get one free meal a day thanks to college activities.

Breakfast is a really cheap meal if you just eat unflavored oatmeal or cereal. Plus, there has been so many times Publix has had a buy one get one free deal on cereal, and then I have a $0.50 cent off 2 boxes of the same cereal (doubles to $1). I usually stock up when that happens. That's a super cheap meal.

I want to cut down on my eating out (I really shouldn't be eating out at all!). I could also start buying off brand things rather than the named brand items.
I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'm not sure why you'd want to do so unless that's really all you had to spend. I think $85 per month is a shoe-string budget for food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living