Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 02:14 PM

466 posts, read 643,668 times

Advertisements

No. HGTV is a cable channel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 02:19 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,263,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annilyna View Post
Is HGTV (one of my favorite networks) included in any of these free channels?
You won't get it with an antenna, but you can stream full episodes of HGTV shows at their website.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:12 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,978,688 times
Create and Live Well Network are over the area and both have shows similar to HGTV.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:44 PM

9 posts, read 12,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
There's the key!

Here in SW PA, we are all hills.. and reception is extremely limited and often pixelated.
I guess I'm lucky. I got plenty of channels with a $10 indoor antenna

Old 01-30-2015, 08:30 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,368,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
You won't get it with an antenna, but you can stream full episodes of HGTV shows at their website.
Also with the Roku player and Netflix, you can get some HGTV shows as well.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:28 PM

147 posts, read 230,222 times
With Hulu+, Roku, Amazon Prime and Netflix (total cost per month would be about $20, Prime is $99 per year but it gives you so much more value for your money than the tv shows)

Old 02-01-2015, 10:33 AM

605 posts, read 704,851 times
Thanks all. I'm really seriously considering trying to do away with paying for the outrageous pricing and contracts with Satellite or Cable services. I'm really fed up with it, but I've gotten used to the convenience of all the cable and network programming. Has anyone just recently given it up and learned to appreciate NOT watching some of their favorite shows that may not be available by other means (e.g. Roku, Hulu, etc.)? Also, if I do purchase one of those "fancier" antennas (rather than me rigging one up myself), and I can't get the quality or number of channels I want, do they typically accept refunds?

Thanks in advance for all the helpful advice.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:56 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,368,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annilyna View Post
Thanks all. I'm really seriously considering trying to do away with paying for the outrageous pricing and contracts with Satellite or Cable services. I'm really fed up with it, but I've gotten used to the convenience of all the cable and network programming. Has anyone just recently given it up and learned to appreciate NOT watching some of their favorite shows that may not be available by other means (e.g. Roku, Hulu, etc.)? Also, if I do purchase one of those "fancier" antennas (rather than me rigging one up myself), and I can't get the quality or number of channels I want, do they typically accept refunds?

Thanks in advance for all the helpful advice.

Not recently. Gave it up about 3 years ago. It was an adjustment first couple of months. My biggest losers were Bill Maher Real Time on HBO and MSNBC News. I can get parts of shows of Real Time on YouTube, and can get one day old MSNBC online. I survived.

I actually enjoy watching certain TV shows and other shows on Netflix, Amazon where there is a continuing story line. Much more enjoyable watching this way instead of having to wait a week for the next episode, by which time you have half forgotten what happened the week before. I guess it is referred to binge watching.

Depending on where you purchased your antenna, they usually accept returns. See how far your broadcasting towers are from you on TVFool.com, and see if they broadcast in both UHF and VHF, which many areas do. Then you know you need an antenna that will pull in both UHF and VHF, then check how long a distance towers are from your house. Then look at comments on Amazon. You can get a pretty good antenna for roof or attic or patio for around $50 unless you are far, far, away from towers.

This is one I purchased for $49.99. My towers were about 25 miles away. Very easy to put up and is very popular. It looks big but it is no more than 3 ft long.

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Dur...sin=B0024R4B5C

Old 02-01-2015, 09:10 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,270,786 times
^^^

And many of the shows on the internet do not have all the commercials. For examples, the Food Network's "Chopped" program has five 4-minute commercial period. The online version fund under 40 minutes.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:29 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,606,858 times
I just returned my cable TV box a few hours ago.

I had been talking about doing this for a few months, the ever increasing costs were just stupid: $5/day just for the boob toob? (well the internet is in there too). A new $8/mo modem rental fee + a new unrelated $300/mo expense gave me the push I needed. I had pretty much set up alternatives (roku, antenna, computer to tv) but I had a hard time actually doing the deed. It was as if I had to set up a colonoscopy & dawdled & stalled.

I realized that I have had cable for 30 years & my pattern in the evenings always revolved around certain shows or movies. Bringing that box back was like breaking up a LTR. Its gone now... I watched some youtube & CBSN after dinner. I think it's going to be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living