Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 03:38 PM

22,292 posts, read 47,238,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post

Reading the other replies of tipping up to 40%.. I find that crazy. You people must make good money.
OR the prices are low.

On the rare occasion that DH and I go to the local diner for breakfast after the Farmer's Market, he ends up leaving a big tip.
$2.99 (+tax) breakfast each... and he leaves a $10 on the counter.

No way he would leave 63 cents (10%), and even $1.25 seems skimpy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 12:03 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,662,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
A frugal person should the lowest amount that is acceptable. In the USA that means approx. 15%.
That is being "cheap", not "frugal".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Really frugal people wouldn't know the answer to this question because they'd never go anywhere that requires tipping! Those are places that generally require spending more money than a frugal person would be comfortable with.
That makes no sense. Many people can be frugal and still go out for a nice meal from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
On the other hand I'll have no remorse about stiffing the server if the service was inexcusably poor.
If the service is so bad that you feel that no tip of any kind is warranted, the better option is to have a chat with the manager - let them know what happened and why no tip is being left. This has happened to me on a few very rare occasions in my life, but I would never leave nothing and walk out without a word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
i thought it was customary to tip 15-20% of the pre-tax bill but these days i guess it has been changed to 20% of the post-tax bill?
I always tip based on the pre-tax amount.

Quote:
i also think that perhaps there should be a sliding scale to tipping. for example, when i get a coffee and it costs around $3.50 i still tip $1 even though that's over 25%. on the other end of the scale, the most expensive meal i have ever had was around $1000 for 2 people. i did end up tipping 20% so gave around $200 but it felt pretty high to me.
Well I do think that there is some reasonable judgement involved depending on the situation. If I stop in a diner for a cup of coffee, I'll leave a dollar too. If I'm at a bar, I usually tip $1 per drink, whether its a $4 beer or a $10 cocktail; at a nicer restaurant or someplace where I may hang out for a little while, then that may go higher. I have had a few more higher-end dinners that included a pricey bottle of wine (I have no problem splurging on a special occasion) - 20% on a $100 bottle of wine is $20. However, if a bottle of wine is $150, I will still only add in $20 for the wine - I've even noted that on the check. While I understand that an upscale restaurant will have higher prices (and the tip percentage is higher), there is only so much "tip" that should go with opening a bottle of wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compuhi View Post
Do you all tip when getting take out orders? I typically don't. I always think it is interesting that they have the tip line there on take outs (i know this is done by the software automatically).
I'll usually drop a buck in the tip jar when picking up a take out order.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:05 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,005,673 times
Quote:
over the years i have gotten better with my tips.

i used to tip about 15-17% of the before tax amount. For example, if a bill comes out to $80 before tax and then is $87 with tax, i would typically tip about $13 which ends up at around 16% of $80.

these days i tip around 16-18% of the after tax amount so $14 on an $87 bill.

if the service is poor, i'll usually stay more in the 13-15% range after tax (so $12 on an $87 bill).

what do other people do?

i did have one incident that stands out. i was visiting boston with my family and there were 3 of us (me, wife, infant child). we went to legal seafoods in the mall and i don't remember everything that we ordered but i probably ordered a drink (i'm not a big drinker but will get a cocktail sometimes) and some food and the bill was around $80 before tax and $87 after tax. the service wasn't **** poor but it wasn't great either. our waiter was a tall asian guy who simply had no personality. he spoke in a monotone without looking at you and simply stood there saying "are you ready to order?" and would take our order without saying a word (no acknowledgements, etc.). he wasn't a bad waiter but he simply had no personality and gave off a weird vibe like he didn't want to be there and he didn't like his job. he never smiled, never checked on us, etc. i also know that it's not their job to entertain children but he didn't acknowledge my son either (usually waiters will at least start with a smile and say hello, etc.). my son just sat there and didn't eat anything or make a mess.

i ended up giving the guy $12.

boy was he pissed. i finally saw some emotion come out of the guy when he saw the tip. i knew it wasn't a great tip but i also didn't think it was a complete insult. he pressed on with questions like "did you not like your service today?" "was there anything i could have done to give you better service?" etc. but rather than asking in a manner that was apologetic or open to learning, he was challenging, rolling his eyes, etc. i didn't feel like getting into an argument with the guy so i just said "eh, you did alright..." and left.

We tip what is appropriate in regards to the server and the total amount of the check.
You missed a perfect opportunity to help this server become a better server.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:09 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,957,719 times
Tip large (but still within your means). Do this because it's usually a very affordable way to make someone's day a little brighter and an extra few dollars thrown someone's way that earns at or near minimum wage is awesome to them. If you have never done this, I encourage you to try it out.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:36 PM

4,966 posts, read 5,221,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Restaurants are in business to serve customers. When they offer take-out service, the service being provided to you by the servers is still performed, up to and including delivering the food to the table. Just instead of the table, the food is packaged and run up to the cashier. Depending on the restaurant, this represented between a quarter and three quarters the work typically done by the server. The server is not compensated any differently for a take out order, so a gratuity is appropriate, albeit not a full gratuity. It is similar, in this way, as a gratuity for a buffet server. The patron is getting service, just not full service, so a lower gratuity is in order. A 5%-15% gratuity is typically correct for take-out orders.

I know a lot of people maniacally reject that notion, and go on and on in opposition to taking responsibility for the cost of service attributable to them for their take-out orders. People will rationalize all manner of poor behavior, but as long as the compensation system in the full-service restaurant industry is the way it is in the United States, it is appropriate to tip for take-out from full-service restaurants.
That's a new one on me. I usually don't see waitresses doing takeout. It's usually someone who has that job specifically assigned to them. The food is made and packaged in the kitchen by the cooks. Cooks don't get tips because they usually get paid minimum wage or higher. If I don't eat there, I'm not renting a booth. I'm not taking up a waitresses time. Usually, takeout portions are smaller and there may be a small fee tacked on. I expect a restaurant to do a certain of work and service before they start earning a tip. IMO, take out does not exceed that minimum.

You can tip if you want. I don't see where the host or hostess has done any more than given me what I already paid for with the price of the meal.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:41 PM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,657,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
That's a new one on me. I usually don't see waitresses doing takeout. It's usually someone who has that job specifically assigned to them.
I suppose that wouldn't be unusual for Chinese restaurants and similar, but for typical American chain restaurants, they don't have dedicated staff for that, though it may seem to you that they should.

Quote:
The food is made and packaged in the kitchen by the cooks.
Made, yes. Packaged, generally no.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:58 PM

22,292 posts, read 47,238,084 times
Quote:
That's a new one on me. I usually don't see waitresses doing takeout.
They do at Olive Garden at similar places.
Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don't do it!

Old 01-29-2015, 04:23 PM

4,966 posts, read 5,221,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I suppose that wouldn't be unusual for Chinese restaurants and similar, but for typical American chain restaurants, they don't have dedicated staff for that, though it may seem to you that they should.

Made, yes. Packaged, generally no.
I don't eat at a lot of chain restaurants. I prefer local places. We don't do much takeout either. I'm thinking of places like PF Changs which has a dedicated host/hostess. They will deliver to your car if you like and I would tip a few bucks for that. Chilis and McCalisters have a dedicated cash register for takeout with a specific host/hostess, but McCalister's employees don't get tips. Red Robin sends you to the bar to order and the bar guy gives you a complimentary drink. I usually tip him the price of a drink if I take one. He doesn't package my food. That comes from the kitchen.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:23 PM

9,612 posts, read 21,159,588 times
Quote:
That's a new one on me. I usually don't see waitresses doing takeout.
At all three of the restaurants in my town the server is the one who rings up the takeout order. I don't generally tip when I do takeout, but I don't think they mind as I usually over-tip when I eat in.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:26 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,593,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
If you are too frugal to tip, you should not go to restaurants that have servers.

Frugality should not be a factor at all.
I absolutely agree.

I tip about 20% of the total (I round it off a bit either way). It's just simple to calculate quickly.

If the service is very bad, I will tip less. I seldom do this, but reserve the option in the event of bad service.

If you want to save money, you do it by eating at home. You don't stiff the waitstaff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living