Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 11:35 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauailover View Post
I have to agree that the time based bidding system isn't the best. I just sold a item on Ebay and there was one bid on it for two days. In the last minute another bidder jumped in and outbid the first bid by $.75 cents. It would have been nice to see a little rally for the item occur but unfortunately that is how they do it.

I lost interest in bidding on items after being outbid so many times but I still enjoy selling!
If there's no time limit how do you know when to bid or when the auction ends. Thats like playing musical chairs with no music playing.

Also its no secret buyers wait til the last minute. Not at all uncommon to have an item listed for 99 cents and in hte last 6 hours it could go for hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Nobody wants to run up prices so everyone waits til the last minute to bid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
I don't understand how so many Ebay sellers can sell their items (like new clothing) so cheaply -- and often times with free shipping included. It's great for the buyers, but if you are an Ebay seller trying to compete, it makes it rough.

Profit margins have to be extremely small on many things.
Unless its a name brand thing clothes have no value. To me its not worth selling an item to make 50 cents but some people do this and sell volume

Old 02-18-2015, 11:40 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,423,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
You gotta be kidding saying ebay is a sellers market, maybe if you price something low enough or under value but ebay is definately a buyers market in terms of them favoring buyers in disputes. Also on ebay market determines price so you cant say things are selling at too high a price, at least not for auction listings as buyers are determining the value of a given item.
Bingo. Last time I used ebay it was when the pendulum swung in favor of the buyers in disputes. I lost hundreds to scammers who claimed the item wasnt as described when it clearly was. They would keep my money and the item and dissapear. Ebay would take the money out of my account and not answer the phones, if you could find their phone number....

And as mentioned you had the high volume sellers that didnt charge shipping. They made a buck off of each item and just sold tens of thousands of items. Then people started complaining about your 10 dollar shipping cost for something that weighs 5 pounds....umm thats the post office not me!

Old 02-18-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Bingo. Last time I used ebay it was when the pendulum swung in favor of the buyers in disputes. I lost hundreds to scammers who claimed the item wasnt as described when it clearly was. They would keep my money and the item and dissapear. Ebay would take the money out of my account and not answer the phones, if you could find their phone number....

And as mentioned you had the high volume sellers that didnt charge shipping. They made a buck off of each item and just sold tens of thousands of items. Then people started complaining about your 10 dollar shipping cost for something that weighs 5 pounds....umm thats the post office not me!
I used to do about 150k a month in sales on ebay, my category has kind of dried up a bit so now I do say 12k to 18k a week so probably averages about 60k a month. I'll occasionally take a hit for a few hundred bucks or a grand with someone playing games and gaming the system. for a small seller this would be catastophic, dont get me wrong I don't like it but were big enough at this point its kind of the cost of doing business if you want to be on ebay.

I'm not a fan of the fact ebay recently changed the amount of time buyers can file a complaint to 6 months, gimme a break, as if 45 days wasn't enough now they up it to half year. If you dont know iwthin 2 weeks or even to be fair 30 days whether you want an item or not you got problems. This is a ridiculous change to the policy.

One thing I have found effective and its not available to all sellers one of my accounts has it and another doesn't but on one account I'm able to charge a 20% restocking fee so basically even if I get a return I profit on it and resell the item for more money so I dont really mind. If someone claims not as described they still get all money back and I hvae to pay for return shipping but the returns of I decided I dont wnat it or I ordered two and decided to keep the other one, they only get 80% back minus shipping and this seems to cut down on frivilous returns ALOT

Old 02-24-2015, 11:53 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,786,636 times
I like eBay. It is just another store to comparison shop.

I have bought three used cars on eBay and when I tell people this they are shocked.

Occasionally I do some small time selling but mostly buying.

I was recently in the market for a new iPad so I checked eBay. There were many listings for used iPads selling for more than new-with identical specifications-from the Apple retail website.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:56 PM

658 posts, read 723,955 times
I just recently started to sell on eBay. I must say they suck the fees out of me. Not just the listing fees but the commissions of the sales. I just sold almost $500.00 of stuff within two weeks and so far so good. Things that I would throw away anyways but end up people wanting them so it's a win/win.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:30 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameridreamNoT View Post
I just recently started to sell on eBay. I must say they suck the fees out of me. Not just the listing fees but the commissions of the sales. I just sold almost $500.00 of stuff within two weeks and so far so good. Things that I would throw away anyways but end up people wanting them so it's a win/win.
I'm a huge fan of their low fees. A great deal for sellers.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:27 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,834 times
I am in Photography and active on a number of forums. I remember once someone showing a used 50mm f1.8 II (was new at $85) on ebay sold for $115

Old 02-25-2015, 10:47 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,175,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post

Also its no secret buyers wait til the last minute. Not at all uncommon to have an item listed for 99 cents and in hte last 6 hours it could go for hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Nobody wants to run up prices so everyone waits til the last minute to bid.
Auto bids - you bid the max price that you're willing to pay and they do the rest.

All my items are by it now; I don't like to pay for listings that don't sell.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
I like eBay. It is just another store to comparison shop.

I have bought three used cars on eBay and when I tell people this they are shocked.

Occasionally I do some small time selling but mostly buying.

I was recently in the market for a new iPad so I checked eBay. There were many listings for used iPads selling for more than new-with identical specifications-from the Apple retail website.
Yeah I've bought a couple cars and motorcycles on there myself. Most of mine have been projects not necessarily daily drivers but still have bought a few and like you never had any issues and actually found some great deals and some interesting cars or bikes I'd never have found locally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living