Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 07:38 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Chocolate
I don't recall ever seeing generic chocolate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 11:16 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I don't eat dog food, I know it's cheap but I'm not that frugal.
LOL! Good one.

Quote:
I have! And even the name brand semi-sweet ones have cut back on the amount of cacao in them. Scandalous! You now have to look at the percentage of cacao in your chocolate chips. I also look for these at Grocery Outlet. Got some really good gourmet ones there a couple weeks ago for about $2.50/pound - score!

Old 03-05-2015, 06:28 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Texas has Blue Bell Ice Cream. There is no store brand better. No substituting. I also will not bother with generic spagetti, sauce, lots of other things. Why buy generic junk. That's just wasting money.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:57 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Just though of this, lol

Lotions & moisturizers...never buy the store version

Also make up--
I stick w/ the brands I love

Old 03-05-2015, 12:38 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,716 times
Quote:
I consider Hershey's/Nestley that is sold in the US as generic chocolate. It's mostly wax. The only one I'll eat is the cookies and cream.

The best cheap-go-to chocolate is the Aldi store brand. 99 cents and it's 30% I think for Milk chocolate. Trader Joes has some amazing Orange Chocolate for like $2.00 or something.

TP as someone mentioned before. Now I buy the 12-for-$5 that lasts probably 30% longer and doesn't scratch as much.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:00 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Texas has Blue Bell Ice Cream. There is no store brand better. No substituting. I also will not bother with generic spagetti, sauce, lots of other things. Why buy generic junk. That's just wasting money.
Generic spaghetti sauce - yuck! For some reason, it is always thickened with corn starch, like a bad red gravy.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:46 AM

80 posts, read 135,388 times
Mainly laundry and cleaning products. The generics are too variable in quality to bother experimenting and finding a good one. All brand "free and clear" laundry detergent, Dawn dish washing liquid, Dial berry glycerin soap, Suave shampoo.

As others have mentioned, generic cereal is really hit and miss. There are good generics for some varieties, but the price savings are not nearly as good as they used to be 15 years ago.

For a long time, I used to also include Tobasco sauce and Goulden's spicy mustard, but both of these products now have quality store brands available.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:07 AM

78 posts, read 125,702 times
These items I will only buy name brand:

ketchup (Heinz)
cheese (Cabot)
dish soap (Dawn)
dishwasher soap (Finish Quantum)
sour cream (Country Fresh)
garbage bags (Glad)
zippy bags (Ziploc-off brand makes food taste like plastic)
pancake mix (Aunt Jemima-buttermilk complete)
toothpaste (Crest pro-health)
toilet paper (Charmin Ultra Strong)
coffee (Eight o'clock)

Everything else I'm happy to buy off-brand or whatever is cheapest. Some items I actually prefer off-brand to the name brand, like tuna (walmart is the best), mac & cheese or mayo & salad dressing. While I prefer Prego spaghetti sauce, which is my favorite, I will buy Meijer brand which is a close second or Hunts in a pinch which is name brand but one of the cheapest available.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:13 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I will not buy anything at a dollar store, like Family Dollar or Dollar General and certainly not at Dollar Tree. It is simply junk, which very likely will not work at all, or will break almost immediately. It would have cost one cent more to make the product without that weakest-link defect, but to save that penny, the manufacturer produced something that is worth nothing. Even some name-brand products have entered that paradigm.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:20 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,565 times
I won't buy store brand canned soup, or cheap canned tuna....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living