Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 02:18 AM

68 posts, read 79,189 times

Advertisements

Must be years ago. In 2014 and 2015 definitely not. On the contrary, I threw out many things (donated them or threw them away) to declutter. Perhaps I threw out a bit too much, though.

At the moment I have 3 t-shirts (2 quite holey), one hoodie, only 1 pair of jeans which is getting threadbare everywhere and a pair of flip flops (no shoes anymore). So I should buy some clothes, but I won't. I hate shopping for clothes. So I'll try to get along with what I have as long as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 03:09 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
2 weeks ago I bought a lambs wool sweater and 2 others for $14 at a thrift store. (I always look for high dollar wool clothing.)

bought a pack of underwear and a pack of sox in January. (I'd say I buy between 1-2 packs/year)

Bought pants 2 years ago....
-no, I take that back, I bought a $3 pair of pants at the thrift store in December.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:36 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
To me, the central focus of frugality is defined by clothes-buying. I buy everything at thrift shops, and even then, I haven't bought anything in maybe five years. Clothes last a long time, if you don't launder them every time you wear them for a day.

I bought a new cap this year. I was tired of baseball caps, and went for the newsboy look. A year ago Christmas, my sister sent me a gift card, and I bought new socks. I've found that when you are really frugal, your family takes care of you, trying to mitigate the erosion of their dignity.
I received my shipment of summer t- shirts yesterday!

Same style, two different colors. My clothes get dirty and full of animal fur. I cannot wear them more than once without having to wash them.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:00 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
To me, the central focus of frugality is defined by clothes-buying.
I've already answered your question in a previous post, but I wanted to address this point. Clothing and its upkeep is only a tiny portion of my annual expenditures. I think there are better indicators of the tendency toward thrift, at least for my family.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:46 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
To me, the central focus of frugality is defined by clothes-buying.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I've already answered your question in a previous post, but I wanted to address this point. Clothing and its upkeep is only a tiny portion of my annual expenditures. I think there are better indicators of the tendency toward thrift, at least for my family.
I agree with Randomparent. Unless one is so absurdly wasteful as to buy designer clothing, there is only a limited amount that can be saved on clothes as compared to the house or apartment one lives in and the car one drives.

I need tall sizes in shirts, so I look for sales and buy them new. Sure, there are undoubtedly tall sizes that appear from time to time in thrift stores, but I don't wish to spend time regularly looking for them. Socks and underwear I always buy new - they are pretty cheap at places like Walmart and Kmart and I can't imagine wearing someone else's socks and underwear.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:48 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
I bought swimsuits and gym shorts in the last year. That is about it.

As for used clothes, yes, occasionally. I would rather by used high quality shoes that are 10+ years old than the garbage that they are currently selling, especially in dress shoes.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:56 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
To me, the central focus of frugality is defined by clothes-buying. I buy everything at thrift shops, and even then, I haven't bought anything in maybe five years. Clothes last a long time, if you don't launder them every time you wear them for a day.

I bought a new cap this year. I was tired of baseball caps, and went for the newsboy look. A year ago Christmas, my sister sent me a gift card, and I bought new socks. I've found that when you are really frugal, your family takes care of you, trying to mitigate the erosion of their dignity.
What won't last long is people wanting to be close to you if you don't launder at least your undershirts (assuming you wear them) every time you wear them!

I wash all my tops every time I wear them. I wash my pants about every other time or every third time. However, sometimes, that gets bumped up to every time, depending how close my dog and/or cats got to me before I had a chance to change after work.

As far as shopping...I buy something of clothing every month to 6 weeks or so.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:30 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Whenever I need something or see something I like. That's not terribly often, but I'm not going to show up at work dressed and smelling like a hobo and screw myself out of getting promotions and raises.

Like it or not, how you present yourself matters.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:29 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
I buy my clothes from thrift shops, so I don't even remember the last time I purchased clothing in a regular store. Unless you count underwear. That I refuse to buy used, lol.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:26 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Precisely as trobesmom said, although we get our clothes mostly from yard sales. Going on fifteen years now since we bought clothes at retail. Well, I do buy flip flops at retail and good ones at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living