Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 09:59 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,750,660 times

Advertisements

Check Craigslist for furniture, sometimes store advertise on there.

I found a furniture warehouse that sells new furniture nearby, but I ended up going to a small privately owned furniture store about 15 miles away where I found a nice mattress set, headboard frame, and faux leather futon for about $500 delivered. Both these places advertised on CL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 06:20 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,393,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Tell them what you are looking for. Shop at the end of the months when they want to squeeze a sale in. Shop outlets. Even places such as Big Lots have furniture. Read the fine print - clearance can mean no warranty or recourse.
Ive not needed any furniture recently but shop Big Lots pretty regular - they seem to have some nicer stuff (Thomasville, and even Basset from time to time) at a pretty reasonable price. Of course, you have to manage the delivery yourself.

Memorial Day is generally a pretty big sale time for furniture.

Id also consider Sams Club or Costco. The cost of membership would more than pay for itself in savings in most cases.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:26 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
What about CL? Just an idea
Yep. I buy used furniture. I've gotten some wonderful buys on CL. I got a solid wood dresser and chest of drawers in pristine condition several months ago for $250. Forget crappy new furniture at a furniture store. I'd rather get nicer used furniture (and used appliances too), because after your behind sits on it, it will be used also Depreciation doesn't happen to just new cars.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:17 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
On the first of the month, go to some apartment complexes and look near the dumpsters. Lots of people just throw away their furniture when they move.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:12 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
Tell the salesperson what you want. Tell them what you can spend and see what they can do.

When I started my job and had my apartment many moons ago, I happened upon a salesperson at JCPenney. I was looking at new furniture. She told me of an upcoming sale. I was able to order Lane brand furniture from the factory and pick the fabric. She held my order until the sale came up. I got what I wanted and at a good price. I'm sure she got a commission.

Furniture stores may deal a little bit, but I'm not sure what they would do for an $800 couch. I know some people that will haggle anything. They told me about what they had negotiated at a particular furniture store. I'm of the opinion that the salesman finally gave in to get them out of the store so he could actually make some money off of a customer who wasn't such a pain in the butt. I bought some furniture at the same store and when we started filling out the paperwork, I asked the guy if we could have a discount. I'm thinking we bought about $2500-$3500 worth of furniture and he gave us $150 off. Not much, but it was money we kept in our pocket.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:51 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Garage sale season is starting for many areas, but the likelihood of finding exactly what you want is pretty low. If you sew, you'd be able to find a frame you like and reupholster it in the fabric of your choice. If it's a good frame, size and shape, you can just keep sewing new covers it as it gets worn and only have to buy the couch once. If you're doing the retro look, Danish Modern furniture is an absolute breeze to reupholster. Around here we have the Hawaiian rattan sofas which are a rattan frame with a set of cushions. Those are also really easy to reupholster. It might be worth learning a new skill if you don't already know how to sew and as a hobby, reupholstery can make money, too. If nothing else, when folks say nice things about your couch, you can say "thank you" with sincerity.

Since this is the "frugal" forum, I'd sort of expect folks would be willing to expand their skill sets in the pursuit of frugality?

Old 05-20-2015, 02:09 PM

996 posts, read 1,235,802 times
What mtnbkr5 said ... A new $500 couch will be junk compared to a good quality antique one you might find. If you're worried about bugs, just get the thing steam cleaned ... super-heated steam will kill everything

Old 05-21-2015, 07:42 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,393,625 times
I'm pretty frugal - nearly all of our wood furniture came from tag sales, thrifted, consignment, etc.... but I personally draw he line with anything made out of material that can't be thoroughly cleaned by me. And pulling stuff out of the dumpster - just no. OP has a decent budget to work with - there's no need to drive around on garbage day looking for a "new couch".

I'd also check with the places you think might be outside your budget. We ordered some very expensive custom covered furniture once. When it came in the stripes were slightly askew - nothing horrible but for what we were paying not acceptable. The store ended up putting our set in their bargain basement.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:19 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
Go check out Overstock dot com. I just saw an advertisement for a sofa on sale this weekend for around $800. Looks like they may have some lower priced ones also. Not sure about the cost of shipping. You'd have to check that out.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:32 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
The extreme cheapskate drives down every street during junk week and looks for what people throw out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living