U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 12:36 AM

708 posts, read 2,190,794 times

Advertisements

I am in the market for a very firm cushioned, three seater fabric couch with deep seats and my budget is under $800. When I go to chain furniture stores, should I immediately request that the salesperson show me any clearance couches? How do I steer the person toward showing me an item that's reduced the most, hence being a better value? Are posted prices merely starting posts for negotiation like in mattress stores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 06:11 AM

11,694 posts, read 16,443,612 times
Tell them what you are looking for. Shop at the end of the months when they want to squeeze a sale in. Shop outlets. Even places such as Big Lots have furniture. Read the fine print - clearance can mean no warranty or recourse.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:14 AM

14,072 posts, read 20,140,553 times
What about CL? Just an idea

Old 04-22-2015, 11:30 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
I am in the market for a very firm cushioned, three seater fabric couch with deep seats and my budget is under $800. When I go to chain furniture stores, should I immediately request that the salesperson show me any clearance couches?
No.
You tell them "I am in the market for a very firm cushioned, three seater fabric couch with deep seats and my budget is under $800." Then ask them what they have to show you.

Quote:
Are posted prices merely starting posts for negotiation like in mattress stores?
The stores in my area allow very very little room to haggle. YMMV.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:51 AM

601 posts, read 538,774 times
Quote:
I am in the market for a very firm cushioned, three seater fabric couch with deep seats and my budget is under $800. When I go to chain furniture stores, should I immediately request that the salesperson show me any clearance couches? How do I steer the person toward showing me an item that's reduced the most, hence being a better value? Are posted prices merely starting posts for negotiation like in mattress stores?
Wow, you and I are in the same boat Except I'd settle for non-deep seating if I have to, and I'd love a grey fabric (goes with most any decor). My only concern is durability. Some couches seem like they are not built to last and I want a couch that will last me awhile. I'm not sure if there are specific things I should look for in terms of quality and durability (e.g. cushions that won't sag).

Old 04-22-2015, 10:34 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,558,174 times
If you can get over used furniture and you live near any very upscale towns (especially seasonal areas like Florida) you can get some terrific sofas that were used very lightly in seasonal homes, and some that are high quality as well.

However, this usually only applies to such upscale seasonal areas. Also, check out auction houses. Larger cities usually have a number of them and some of them get liquidated furniture and floor samples in.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:46 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,886,485 times
I've gotten some amazing furniture off Craigslist. It works especially well in upscale areas and finding people who are moving and don't want to move all their stuff. I scored a barely used couch for $200 that would have cost $1,000 at a retail furniture store. I have a solid hand-made cherry wood four poster canopy king bed that would cost $2,500+ new and I got it for $500.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:07 AM

2,298 posts, read 1,669,139 times
I would consider craigslist, but maybe not with couch or mattress. To many concerns for me. Second hand shops maybe good - I would think they'd check over the items well for bugs? Big lots is good for furniture. I'd check ALL the furniture stores in your area. I always look around the sales floor first by myself, checking prices then ask sales person about special deals/discounts and clearance they may not have out. Let them know exactly what your looking for. Even menards has some furniture, we found a great deal on a recliner chair there once.

Also, I'd never give a budget right off. I would first ask to be shown or look at what they have then ask for lower prices. If nothing is in budget, then i would mention it.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:01 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,041,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
I would consider craigslist, but maybe not with couch or mattress. To many concerns for me. Second hand shops maybe good - I would think they'd check over the items well for bugs? Big lots is good for furniture. I'd check ALL the furniture stores in your area. I always look around the sales floor first by myself, checking prices then ask sales person about special deals/discounts and clearance they may not have out. Let them know exactly what your looking for. Even menards has some furniture, we found a great deal on a recliner chair there once.

Also, I'd never give a budget right off. I would first ask to be shown or look at what they have then ask for lower prices. If nothing is in budget, then i would mention it.
You're much more likely to pick up bedbugs from a thrift store than someone's house. Chances are more or less guaranteed that someone brought in something with bed bugs at some point which means the entire store is infested until the end of time. You'll find better deals on Craiglist typically and treat it the same. Fumigate it and quarantine it in your garage.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:47 AM

1,121 posts, read 541,533 times
I'm in the business. $800.00 for a three cushion sofa new is not a good quality sofa. Consignment stores usually have solid furniture gently used for a good price. Most of the stuff from stores like Ashley or Sam Levitts is chinese made garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living