Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 11:45 AM

6,874 posts, read 7,843,468 times

Advertisements

If the mortgage crisis didn't encourage people to downsize, nothing will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 02:07 PM

24,176 posts, read 10,494,426 times
I dot not foresee my Paleo Diet advocates next door to move into a cave.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:16 PM

30,014 posts, read 18,849,267 times
It's not going to happen unless you get in a Greece type situation where everyone is afraid to spend. But I think that if you had a large number not spend except for necessities, then many businesses would be hurting and jobs killed. I would rather see the Government adopt minimalism.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:08 AM

30,876 posts, read 36,830,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily Pad View Post
This country's policies and greedy corporations have done so much harm to its law abiding citizens, being a minimalist is the only and last defense we have.

By all means, be minimal!
In many respects, I agree with this. Problem is, people will complain, but don't really want to give anything up and/or be inconvenienced to take their power back from government & corporations alike....and the corps. & government know it.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Sometimes I think of what a cheap person I am, then I read the posts here and amazed how some people do not enjoy life at all by being extreme tightwads!
The bolded is a value judgement on your part based on your values & what's important to you. Others may be perfectly happy living the way they do because it's a reflection of their values and what's important to them.

Psychologists have also discovered that people are really bad at predicting what will make them happy, so you might not actually be made unhappy living as the "extreme tightwads" do (after a period of adjustment, perhaps).

Old 06-17-2015, 05:54 AM

30,324 posts, read 16,070,257 times
If the movement becomes at least minimally widespread, I think the focus would be more on quality.

I'm thinking it's not that minimalists don't want to spend money. It's more that they don't want junk. In this case, junk being defined by poor quality.

Quality over quantity. Not such a bad thing.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:39 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,871,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
If the movement becomes at least minimally widespread, I think the focus would be more on quality.

I'm thinking it's not that minimalists don't want to spend money. It's more that they don't want junk. In this case, junk being defined by poor quality.

Quality over quantity. Not such a bad thing.
Seems like it could put a hurting on Walmart.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:55 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,871,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
And what have you accomplished with all the free time that you don't spend "shackled" to "consumerism"?
More than I would've had my mind simply been focused on the next shiny new car, the lastest fashion trends, having the latest electronics or the house that leaves people in awe.

Why do you see cutting out the excesses in life as being less interested in making life better and easier? For example, would a minimalist be less interested in science...finding a cure for cancer or exploring space? Would a minimalist be less interested in ending poverty/hunger? Would they be less interested in helping the environment? Not necessarily - the difference is that the motivation to do those things must come from within...a higher level of human existence so to speak. Is it possible for human innovation to be more than a byproduct of chasing a carrot on a stick?

Old 06-17-2015, 07:58 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,161,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I used to have a fantasy that prehistoric life might have been largely idyllic, due to plentiful food and a low population density. A long article in National Geographic recently indicated otherwise. They looked at the archeological evidence for settlement in the Americas and found that even in the earliest skeletons, the males suffered a lot of bone fractures from apparent clubbing by other males. The women did not have these. The women were also much smaller than is typical now, while the men much larger (stronger). Survival favored aggression and battle prowess in men, and timidity in women (submit to the victor). I'm very glad that our "instincts" have been toned down somewhat.
I read that same article. As people gained "civilization", ie developed spirituality, domesticated animals and plants, built dwellings, lived in more stable communities, they changed so they looked and acted much more like modern people. Still, the genetic material that produced those early people is still present to some extent in all of us today.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I read that same article. As people gained "civilization", ie developed spirituality, domesticated animals and plants, built dwellings, lived in more stable communities, they changed so they looked and acted much more like modern people. Still, the genetic material that produced those early people is still present to some extent in all of us today.
But it also shows we can override our genetic programming, at least to some degree. I think that applies to our ability to not want to acquire more, more, more as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living