Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 01:54 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times

Advertisements

Verizon Freedom Essentials $61.99 /month
Includes unlimited local, regional toll and long distance calling across the U.S. and to Canada and Puerto Rico- PLUS these popular calling features: Voice Mail, Caller ID, and Call Waiting, Call Forwarding and 3-Way Calling.

I was talking with my friend who has this service, but with taxes and fees it was costing almost $90/month. She has a single corded phone hooked up because she hates phones. She does not transmit medical data.

Her argument was that she needs reliable phone service in all situations including power outage because her mother is severely disabled.

Is that a valid argument anymore? We could go ten years without a power outage. Should you spend that kind of money on a possibility?

She also has a Verizon wireless flip phone service with unlimited minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 04:28 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Wouldn't the cell phone work during a power outage?

Old 07-07-2015, 04:33 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Does Freedom Essentials still include the battery backup for the ONT?

Old 07-07-2015, 06:09 AM

22,557 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Then she can cut the landline - which IS more reliable - to the bare minimum.
That is what we did. No frills, not long distance, etc... Regional essentials - about $20.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Wouldn't the cell phone work during a power outage?
Yes, cell phones will function as long as the battery lasts. If you are not snowed in, you can usually go to a Panera or a cafe and recharge your phone. I have a $200 gasoline generator which would allow me to get enough power to recharge phones, heat water, run a space heater, and a computer or a television.

My friend cannot do any of those things because she can't leave her bedridden mother alone for five minutes.

Landlines have a giant battery storage room with a generator attached maintained by the phone company. They can keep the phone lines open for weeks without power.

On 28 January 1878 the first commercial North American telephone exchange is opened in New Haven, Connecticut.

The first large scale central power station in America was Edison's Pearl Street Station in New York, which began operating in September, 1882. The station had six 200 horsepower Edison dynamos, each powered by a separate steam engine. It was located in a business and commercial district and supplied 110 volt direct current to 85 customers with 400 lamps. By 1884 Pearl Street was supplying 508 customers with 10,164 lamps.

So phone networks and commercial electrification were developed around the same time. Long term blackouts were common so phone networks were designed with giant battery backups so they could function long term. But we are in a small city so long term blackouts are rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Then she can cut the landline - which IS more reliable - to the bare minimum.
That is what we did. No frills, not long distance, etc... Regional essentials - about $20.
That might work. I will check and see what is a "local call" and if her doctors are inside local area.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:30 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Does Verizon Still have lifeline service? That might be cheaper.

If the power is out, How long can she stay in the house with her bedridden mother till it gets to hot or cold?

Is Verizon Landline still a POTS line, or is a VOIP "Line" that "looks" like a landline.
If the power lines go down. Odds are the Phone Lines/Cable lines will go down with them.

For phone backup power on cell :
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

Will allow you to recharge your cell phone, 20000mAh seems like alot of power to charge the cell phone a bunch of times,

Last edited by flyonpa; 07-07-2015 at 10:55 AM..

Old 07-07-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Does Verizon Still have lifeline service? That might be cheaper.
If the power is out, How long can she stay in the house with her bedridden mother till it gets to hot or cold?
I believe lifeline is what was referred to as local service in the previous post.

I agree with your comment. People think of the phone simply because it is part of their reportoire, but she has no generator or backup batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Is Verizon Landline still a POTS line, or is a VOIP "Line" that "looks" like a landline.
If the power lines go down. Odds are the Phone Lines/Cable lines will go down with them.
I believe Verizon must retain POTS as an option by law. The cable companies have almost entirely switched to VOIP AFAIK.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:37 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Quote:
Verizon Freedom Essentials $61.99 /month
Includes unlimited local, regional toll and long distance calling across the U.S. and to Canada and Puerto Rico- PLUS these popular calling features: Voice Mail, Caller ID, and Call Waiting, Call Forwarding and 3-Way Calling.

I was talking with my friend who has this service, but with taxes and fees it was costing almost $90/month. She has a single corded phone hooked up because she hates phones. She does not transmit medical data.

Her argument was that she needs reliable phone service in all situations including power outage because her mother is severely disabled.

Is that a valid argument anymore? We could go ten years without a power outage. Should you spend that kind of money on a possibility?

Landline phone = wasted $$$$$. If you have cellular unlimited voice service it is a lot cheaper and works when power is out.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:37 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
I believe Verizon must retain POTS as an option by law.
They are obligated to maintain POTS service for those households that have stuck with it uninterrupted since there were alternatives, but once a household has switched, many customers have found that the obligation is apparently lifted and they are not able to switch back.

Even the obligation to maintain POTS service will probably be gone someday:
Quote:
But the FCC is on course to let Verizon, AT&T, and other phone companies stop maintaining the old Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) by around 2020, eventually moving everyone to Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) phone service. This shift could come with a loss of consumer protection rules such as price caps and "carrier of last resort" obligations to provide wireline phone service to anyone who asks for it.
How Verizon lets its copper network decay to force phone customers onto fiber | Ars Technica

Old 07-07-2015, 02:10 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
If FCC does not let them Drop the PSTN copper lines, they cost to get a line will be so high, to support the limited number of copper users, that no one will be able to afford it, As more drop it, the infrastructure costs goes spread over smaller and smaller user base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living