Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 06:59 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,010 times

Advertisements

Making $60,000 a year...

Is it wrong.....YES

You need something called....

P ersonal
R esponsibility
I n
D aily
E ffort

Old 09-10-2015, 07:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The banking cartel as you make things up doesn't do anything special, assets and debt acquired during marriage get split and that include refinanced loans. It's nothing special
True, the banking cartel doesn't do anything Except rake in all the profits of banking transactions. They do nothing whatsoever to earn it.

My point, that you conveniently missed, is that if the couple had not legally married, the banks would have diminished power to compel them to pay up. It's not a coincidence that the banker-conrolled media is such a vocal advocate of nuclear family.

It may not be the case in this instance, but in most personal bankruptcies, the borrower has already paid back all the principle, and goes bankrupt to escape the crushing interest, penalties, fees and charges associated with the delinquent account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post

P ersonal
R esponsibility
I n
D aily
E ffort
Which, if I remember correctly, is one of the Seven Deadly Sins. Not to mention that the people lining up in food banks shall inherit the earth, without needing to drag their camels through the eyes of needles.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:24 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I cannot stand people who are takers. Some people are like that. They waste so much time thinking up ways to cheat the system that if they worked that hard to be legitimate, they would be in good shape.

OP, you should declare bankruptcy, then downsize your lifestyle until you can afford to support your own kids, which nobody forced you to have in the first place.

We raised 4 kids, paid our taxes, always paid our own way, and are now living on Social Security. If we had $60k a year, we would feel very rich.
Gentle, you can't bankrupt your way out of student loans. That's why they became the big predatory lending thing -- because you HAVE to pay them back regardless.

It's sad, but a lot of those loans are really fake, and not meant for students schooling at all, but to fund their lifestyles, and to schools that are now out of business.... and absolutely not dischargeable.

However -- Jane -- I have heard about some of the bad schools that went under, there might be help for those people who got those loans. I have no idea even where to start with that though.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:27 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriousjane View Post
I would like to start using the local food bank to help offset the cost of food so that we can pay off our debt sooner. My husband makes $60,000/yr and we are a family of 4, so we sit comfortably above the barely scrapping by poverty line. But.. we stand to be in debt forever unless we start paying off these loans in huge amounts.
So you'd take food away from people who truly need it just to save money to pay off a debt? Not only is that selfish and unconscionable, it's downright ignorant.

You should pause a lot.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:28 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Making $60,000 a year...

Is it wrong.....YES

P ersonal
R esponsibility
I n
D aily
E ffort
$60k in TN must be pretty sweet for a family of 4....

$60k in Seattle for a family of 4 is not even middle class.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Gentle, you can't bankrupt your way out of student loans. That's why they became the big predatory lending thing -- because you HAVE to pay them back regardless..
To say nothing of the president brow-beating everybody to go to college, regardless of their actual potential to earn a degree, and predatory colleges accepting them, which leaves all the dropouts to pay off a fruitless year or two of student loans out of their WalMart wages.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
$60k in TN must be pretty sweet for a family of 4....

$60k in Seattle for a family of 4 is not even middle class.
The median annual income for the state of TN is Less than $43k.....United States is $52k

Tennessee Median Annual Income

Old 09-10-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Which, if I remember correctly, is one of the Seven Deadly Sins.
You are correct....

Old 09-10-2015, 08:00 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
OP, have you stopped to consider how many people are in debt at least as much as you are? Many, many people have huge student loans or other debt; you are not unique in this. Many people have lost jobs and been unable to find another. They do not have an income like you do.

My husband and I have volunteered at our local food pantry for years. We pick up food in our own truck, take it to the pantry, sort it, and assist when patrons come. None of the patrons are similar to you in circumstance. They are elderly widows, mentally handicapped, physically handicapped or injured. These are not people who have hope of EVER seeing better times. They are not paying off debt; they are trying to stay alive. It is these people who truly need help and for whom the food is donated and for whom people such as ourselves volunteer our time.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Of course it's wrong - you know that.

It sounds like you've done a good job of paring down your expenses. Now you need to create more income. I have no idea what that might be, but there are a lot of people working two jobs, and once upon a time kids would get small neighborhood jobs to help out, too.

Good luck.
Yeah, make the kids pay, it's their fault.

My dad's father died when he was in 6th grade, and as the oldest boy, he had to quit school to help feed the family. Yes, there was a time -- that was in 1911. Ahh, the gold old days. Nothing takes the edge off starvation and hunger and poverty like child labor.

Yeah, just get up tomorrow morning and create more income. I have no idea hos, but just do it. You'll have $200K in no time. Umm, try hitting 50 home runs for the Yankees, that'll do it. You're not trying hard enough.

Oh, wait, I'm responsible and rich and successful because I worked hard, send your kids over to my house. I'll give them a quarter to cut my grass. Once upon a time, kids wouold be glad to do that.

By the way, WHY are there a lot of people working two jobs? My dad,with grade 6 education, supported his family all his life, without ever needing two jobs, and without my mom ever needing to work. Why,, today, with all that technology and automation and cheap off-shored labor, do lots of people need to work two jobs? Huh? Who's getting rich off the efforts of all those people working two jobs? Oh, wait, what were we talking about again? Oh, yes, the predatory global banking cartel.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-10-2015 at 08:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living