Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 08:19 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Zenni will send you a measurement tool (you can also measure online). I found it to be very accurate.
I no longer have a printer, when I did, by the time I needed to use it, the ink was always dried out.

I wonder if they would send you one through the mail if you asked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 08:35 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
In California, I'm pretty sure it's mandatory that anyone getting an eyeglass prescription may ask for in written form, and that it has to include the pupillary distance, as it is actually part of a full prescription. I'll check for sure,when I go to my OD.
This is really what I need to know, are they legally required to give it to you if you ask?

The last place I got glasses went out of business. So I am wondering if I should ask if they give the PD measurement as part of the eye exam before I even make an appointment somewhere.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:47 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,651,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I hear lot about saving lot of money by buying eye glass online. The frames price look cheap but my main concern is the cost of lenses, that is what eats up most of my money. I am -5.5 in both eyes so I need thinner lenses.

Most brick and motel shops have cheap and expensive eye glass frame. But the cost escalates when I want antireflective coating and high index lenses. I still want those feathers in my glass. Will I save any money by going online since bulk of my expense is in lenses.
I have a prescription similar to yours and considered online too. I was having a diabetes eye exam with an opthamoligist and asked. The reply was you may get cheaper frames and lens online, but you'll never get a better lens fit/calibration, which is more important the stronger the prescrip. The advice was to try to find an independent optician. Won't be cheaper, but will be better than the chains. My current pair cost $1,100 of which insurance paid $600 approx.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:49 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
This is really what I need to know, are they legally required to give it to you if you ask?

The last place I got glasses went out of business. So I am wondering if I should ask if they give the PD measurement as part of the eye exam before I even make an appointment somewhere.
I did some looking around on the web and there's an FTC regulation mandating the giving of the written prescription, but couldn't find if this includes the measurement of pupillary distance as well.

There's a lot of info online; just do a search for pupillary distance measurement, and you'll see what I found.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:55 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I no longer have a printer, when I did, by the time I needed to use it, the ink was always dried out.

I wonder if they would send you one through the mail if you asked?
Yes.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:58 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
In California, I'm pretty sure it's mandatory that anyone getting an eyeglass prescription may ask for in written form, and that it has to include the pupillary distance, as it is actually part of a full prescription. I'll check for sure,when I go to my OD.
It's either not the law, here, or it's one people feel comfortable breaking.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:33 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,090 times
Here's more info, Annie. https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pres...le-16-cfr-part

Quote:
Released Consumer Education Materials: To educate consumers who wear contact lenses or eyeglasses about their rights under federal law, the FTC staff has issued "The Eyes Have It - Get Your Prescription." Among other things, this alert informs consumers that their eye care provider must provide them with a copy of their contact lens and eyeglass prescriptions, whether or not the consumer asks for them. Contact lens prescriptions must be provided when a contact lens fitting is complete, and eyeglass prescriptions must be provided at the end of an eye exam. Consumers can use their prescriptions to purchase contact lenses or eyeglasses from sellers other than their prescriber, which promotes comparison shopping by consumers.
The purple italics part is my added emphasis. From the clear intent of the FTC ruling, I think any place you have your eyes tested would have to also give you the pupillary distance when you ask for it.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:46 PM

15,070 posts, read 10,087,917 times
I don't have a strong prescription but I've been buying my glasses from greateyeglasses.com. My last pair was $75 bucks.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:10 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,564 times
I just ordered my nephews eyeglass online. He is teenager so i figure lets experiment with him. i took everyones suggestion and went to zenni. He is -3 strength. The high index was cheap, around 20 or 30 bucks, much better than 220 most place quoted me. Lets see how his eye glass comes out to be

Old 10-21-2015, 06:37 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,907,004 times
I'm still kind of a traditonal guy, I like buying local. It does pay to shop around. Avoid the store front optical stores. They're a rip off. I've found local places where you can find glasses for a very good price. My son just got glasses for $70 in a local store, but it wasn't in the typical shopping area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living