Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 03:01 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,536 times

Advertisements

Get rid of the house, rent an apartment. No maintenance no shoveling. Quit looking for a husband and start learning how to take care of yourself and your children. Go back to school and learn a skill. Thousands of single parents take care of themselves and their children without a partner. Are you sure you want to do better because you shoot down every suggestion posters have made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 03:37 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,265,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Best hope is finding a husband, or may even resort to considering a wife if I do not find a husband by the age of 40.
How about a roommate (boarder)?

You have not mentioned your oldest child helping (maybe I missed it). Perhaps s/he needs to step up up the plate and help. At middle school age I was doing a lot more than shoveling snow.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:07 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,690,587 times
Im still fairly young and can remember how cheap things use to be and how steady prices are climbing.. on everything! Does your electric heat mean baseboards? If so, maybe theyre not efficient enough or need larger size/more of them. We are quite tired of the winters, going into another one. Always have costs come up. We have rentals and already will be replacing a furance and repairing another. Looking at around $4000! We have repairs needing done to own house but have to hold off. Its tough, people think because we are landlords that we are rich.. far from it. It is absolutely tough with costs rising. If we didnt have a savings we would be screwed.

do not look for a husband just to help your financial situation.. It would probably make it worse lol. Just focus on you, let the rest happen as it should.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:08 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,368,878 times
I really don't like to come across harsh, but you sound like a person with 1000 excuses. You are not unique. There a millions of single mothers in your shoes. From the sound of your comments, you are just not willing to consider anything that might improve your situation. As others have commented on here, having a house such as yours requires too much maintenance for a single mom with limited income. You may have been able to afford it before, but now you can't. So you must make decisions, and waiting for prince charming to come to your rescue is a desperate one, and usually ends badly.

It also sounds like you may be clinically depressed, which leaves you feeling helpless and unable to make definitive decisions. If this were the case, you would be quite surprised how helpful the right medication could be in helping you cope and take action. If you have medical insurance, I would talk to your doctor about it.

Sell the house. Buy a condo or rent an apartment. Get rid of all the animals. Your priority list seems to be out of order. If and when you meet a man (when you are no longer needy) then perhaps you can have a house in the country with all the rescue animals you want. Until such time, make the changes necessary at this juncture.

You want to see changes in this country. Then do it at the ballet box. There are reasons why the American dream is vanishing for millions of Americans. You state you have worked for your employer for a number of years without raises that would help offset rising costs. This is a serious problem for millions. You must take action to bring about change.

Also, divorce is a serious problem for many woman today with children without the benefit of a high paying job, or a husband with sufficient income to help.

We all have to make difficult choices in life sometimes, and most times those choices are not the ones we would prefer to make. I remember in an interview with Barack Obama and a comment he made when he first came into office, and the sky was falling all around him in every direction. He was asked about how he felt about becoming President, and was he still happy about his choice. He stated he was, but what he wasn't happy about were the choices he had to make. He explained they weren't always ideal choices that were available to make. They were choices between "bad or worse" sometimes, and that part of it was very difficult.

Last edited by modhatter; 10-08-2015 at 05:21 PM..

Old 10-09-2015, 06:28 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
My family always used to say, 'Can't never did anything.'
It sounds as though you have been offered lots of good advice here. Pull up your bootstraps and put your chin up. Smiling instead of frowning can help you change your attitude, and that can help change your situation. As a few other posters mentioned, guys are not attracted to sad, at least not the right guys.

Good luck to you. Life is hard, but those two kids need you to hang in there.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:20 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,821 times
I took the bait. Happens to the best of us.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:29 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,533 times
I live in a rural area, so apartments are not available. It is a town with population of 2000. I could not afford to rent the house that I live in, as rent would be $2400 per month.

I have a coworker that had searched for 2 years for an apartment for $1200 or less. It is just nonexistent. She makes more than I do and no kids and struggles. Her parents help her make ends meet. Which is common amongst my single friends. It is expensive to live here.

I have been looking for a roommate for a few months. That would be the ideal situation, especially another single mom with kids to help cover housing costs.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:03 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,536 times
I apologize if this has already been asked but where do you live?

Old 10-09-2015, 10:41 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I live in a rural area, so apartments are not available. It is a town with population of 2000. I could not afford to rent the house that I live in, as rent would be $2400 per month.

I have a coworker that had searched for 2 years for an apartment for $1200 or less. It is just nonexistent. She makes more than I do and no kids and struggles. Her parents help her make ends meet. Which is common amongst my single friends. It is expensive to live here.

I have been looking for a roommate for a few months. That would be the ideal situation, especially another single mom with kids to help cover housing costs.
Living "here" is a choice. It's fine if you want to make that choice, but it means you are stuck with the financial consequences.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:44 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,100,004 times
I'm starting to think this thread belongs in the psychology forum rather than in frugal living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living