Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 10:42 AM

200 posts, read 210,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
$70 is not bad at all.

You don't need a prepaid cell phone as a house phone, you and your spouse probably have cell phones already, so just use those. You don't need a house phone at all if you each have your own cell phone.

This is the digital antenna I have: Terk : Indoor Antennas : LOGTVA It's ugly but it doesn't get static when someone walks in front of it. I've got it stuck in a fake potted plant and it doesn't show at all. The picture is actually clearer than it is with cable, one of my neighbors used to want to come over and watch her novellas at my house because the picture was so much better with the antenna.
Her phone with ATT and Consumer Cellular would be $55 a month for 3GB. 80 a month for the same with Verizon plus contract, including all the fees.

Just picked up my Consumer Cellular flip phone today. Going to see how reception is in my area.

Yes, the plan for basic cable is to use an HD antenna.

49.99 for Playstation Vue for cable so she can watch her shows and $70 for internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 10:50 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,793,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslander21 View Post
Her phone with ATT and Consumer Cellular would be $55 a month for 3GB. 80 a month for the same with Verizon plus contract, including all the fees.

Just picked up my Consumer Cellular flip phone today. Going to see how reception is in my area.

Yes, the plan for basic cable is to use an HD antenna.

49.99 for Playstation Vue for cable so she can watch her shows and $70 for internet.
We pay $95 for two cell phones, unlimited everything, through T Mobile. I think the data slows after 1 gb but we have wifi at home so we never get near 1 gb of data. We pay $60 for internet and $8 for Netflix.

Is Playstation Vue really going to be cheaper than a cable/internet bundle package? It just sounds like a cable service but you have to provide the internet connection to access it.

My neighbor has Hulu Plus and he says a lot of tv shows will be added the day after the episode airs, unlike Netflix where they take about a year and then add the whole season at once.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
We pay $95 for two cell phones, unlimited everything, through T Mobile. I think the data slows after 1 gb but we have wifi at home so we never get near 1 gb of data. We pay $60 for internet and $8 for Netflix.

Is Playstation Vue really going to be cheaper than a cable/internet bundle package? It just sounds like a cable service but you have to provide the internet connection to access it.

My neighbor has Hulu Plus and he says a lot of tv shows will be added the day after the episode airs, unlike Netflix where they take about a year and then add the whole season at once.
Hulu Plus would be good if it had ID, which is what my wife wants, but it doesn't. Vue has ID, HGTV, all the stuff she loves, live. She has no particular shows she wants to watch as their air, so if Hulu actually had ID, that would be ideal.

Yes, my parents now pay after a few years of Optimum aka Cablevision over $200 a month. Obviously it's HBO and a lot of prime channels, but to pay $110 or 120 starting out, living in our first home soon and not $150 or more, I think it's pretty awesome. Plus there are fees with the cable that's offered. Two conglomerates. Makes me feel better to know I have options at a lower cost.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:57 AM

5,238 posts, read 3,584,839 times
If I'm not mistaken Earthlink is merely an internet provider, they won't provide the actual wire to access the internet, but it has been 20 years since I've used them so it may have changed since then.

I think Verizon Fios is the other real alternative to Optimum on LI, you can bundle your cell phone plan with the internet, it may even be worthwhile to see if they have a deal for the first year for TV that may come close to internet only access in price. Here in the city TWC charges me $64/mo for internet only, (I believe it is 20MB, lower than the 100MB I had with my basic net/TV plan, they charge way more for internet only since they know that is the future of their business).

A fair amount of people switch off every year or 2 between Optimum & Fios to continually get the "introductory" deals all the time, in fact if you schedule an installation with one you could probably get your deal extended a year with the other's retention department, but with Optimum you need a firm Fios installation appointment to trigger the deal now it is my understanding, too many people were calling & threatening to leave without actually meaning it & they caught on.

First home, looking to save some $$$? On good terms with parents/family members? I have a computer, mac mini - you could buy a used one on eBay/craigslist - hooked up with hdmi to my flatscreen tv. I pay a fair amount of my elderly mother's items & do work around there etc.,... & she allows me to piggyback on her cable through her cable's internet portal, a lot of the stations have live feeds, not HD, or whole episodes of earlier shows. And buy an antenna, HD for free & there are a lot more station over the air than you realize now, all the majors have broadcast subchannels.

Just yesterday I was looking at cheap tablets for a holiday gift & noticed that one, the Dragon Touch M7, had a HDMI port, very good reviews & was $50 new on eBay. One could use that like a roku (also very good & my main source of HD programming now), using the stations apps through a cable account portal, feeding a flatscreen. Add a good VPN for around $2.50/mo (wait for a sale) & use it to watch the British networks if that appeals to you, the BBC has a huge archive. If you are a computer nerd check out kodi for iptv, I haven't dealt with it yet but I know it's out there but a bit complicated & too fiddly for most.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:11 AM

14,612 posts, read 17,409,228 times
Quote:
Hulu Plus would be good if it had ID, which is what my wife wants, but it doesn't. Vue has ID, HGTV, all the stuff she loves, live. She has no particular shows she wants to watch as their air, so if Hulu actually had ID, that would be ideal.
Pardon the sexism, but women are very often addicted to channels like ID, HGTV, cooking shows, home remodeling, Hallmark, etc. So while you might get HBO for $15 a month to watch shows that cost millions of dollars per episode to produce, you end up paying $50 a month to watch shows which have budget in the tens of thousands of dollars per episode.

Men are often just as susceptible to mindless low budget TV, but they are much more likely to figure the cost of paying for it is not worth it. They will put up an antenna and watch Me-TV, Laff TV, Antenna, Retro-TV, Get-TV, Heroes and Icons, when they just want noise in the background.

Possibly in a matter of years these shows will become available as individual streaming services, but for right now it may simply be one of the costs of marriage.

Earthlink has sections on it's web page for every kind of INTERNET ACCESS
  • Dial-Up Internet
  • Broadband Cable Internet
  • High-Speed DSL
  • Freestanding DSL
  • Satellite Internet
  • Wireless Internet

Old 10-24-2015, 11:33 AM

230 posts, read 428,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
You are not going to steam NetFlix @ 3Mbps You need a minimum of @ 10-12.
An individual I know is streaming Hulu with a 6 MBps dsl line. NetFlix says 5 MBps for HD, 3 for SD.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

Old 10-24-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Pardon the sexism, but women are very often addicted to channels like ID, HGTV, cooking shows, home remodeling, Hallmark, etc. So while you might get HBO for $15 a month to watch shows that cost millions of dollars per episode to produce, you end up paying $50 a month to watch shows which have budget in the tens of thousands of dollars per episode.

Men are often just as susceptible to mindless low budget TV, but they are much more likely to figure the cost of paying for it is not worth it. They will put up an antenna and watch Me-TV, Laff TV, Antenna, Retro-TV, Get-TV, Heroes and Icons, when they just want noise in the background.

Possibly in a matter of years these shows will become available as individual streaming services, but for right now it may simply be one of the costs of marriage.

Earthlink has sections on it's web page for every kind of INTERNET ACCESS
  • Dial-Up Internet
  • Broadband Cable Internet
  • High-Speed DSL
  • Freestanding DSL
  • Satellite Internet
  • Wireless Internet
See I wouldn't mind trying EarthLink but it's 3 MB a second for upload and download for $40 a month and I'm not sure if it's that good in that in our area. I would have to doublecheck but I do remember seeing that the streaming video services are not good unless it's 10 MB a second and on top of that we have two cell phones and three computers to be watching TV would make things extremely slow because we would need a faster upload and download speed.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:28 PM

42,767 posts, read 26,060,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I have Time Warner cable internet and use Vonage VoIP phone service instead of regular landline.
You can save some money if you ditch Vonage and get Ooma, you buy the device and after that all you pay is taxes which are under $4 a month. I've had it for several years and it's rock solid. #1 Ranked Free Internet Phone Service | Ooma VoIP Phone

Old 10-24-2015, 11:30 PM

42,767 posts, read 26,060,801 times
Quote:
See I wouldn't mind trying EarthLink but it's 3 MB a second for upload and download for $40 a month and I'm not sure if it's that good in that in our area. I would have to doublecheck but I do remember seeing that the streaming video services are not good unless it's 10 MB a second and on top of that we have two cell phones and three computers to be watching TV would make things extremely slow because we would need a faster upload and download speed.
Earthlink is nothing more than a reseller of broadband or DSL, there's no real advantage to going with them unless they beat everyone else for price. If they have DSL, then you probably have AT&T lines. Before I switched to U-verse I paid $24 a month for AT&T DSL.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:26 AM

Is u verse available anywhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living