U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2015, 08:07 AM

200 posts, read 159,339 times

Advertisements

So here's the breakdown I've done. What do you all think? Could I get it lower?

Optimum Internet

$59.95 a month, not including tax
Can buy modem one time fee of $215, or pay
$5.25 a month for lease on the modem they supply = so round to $70 a month

Two Cell Phones - Verizon
3 GB each phone, $20 per phone a month and $60 for the 6 Gig = $110 a month with tax

Neflix Subscription
$10 a month with tax?

"Landline"

Pre-paid cell phone
Flip phone bought for $35 at Target, 250 minutes total
$20 a month with tax included

Digital Cable Antenna (not included in monthly budget)
One time fee ($90)

So for TV, Internet, Cell Phones and "landline"

Equals

$200
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 08:22 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,011,892 times
Internet - 15 MB
Landline (that I never use)

$39.95 plus various taxes and fees comes out to $52 a month

Phones - two cell phones on AT&T, 5 GB, unlimited everything else
I brought my old iPhone 5 over from another provider, plus a couple discounts, comes to $95 a month if they'll ever get the bill right (it's currently around $105)

TV - Netflix and bunny ears
Bunny ears were free from a friend.
Netflix is free as another friend gave me her password.

So I'm at $150... It'll soon be $140 once I cancel the landline that I never use.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:44 AM

2,298 posts, read 1,668,284 times
Internet and cell phones sounds a bit high.

we pay $70 a month for 2 phones also with att. Unlimited talk and text. We were paying $100 a month but called saying we had found another plan cheaper and wanted to cancel, they right away got our bill lowered. I know there are other phone providers much cheaper even, but I really love at&t service.

Internet sounds a bit high, I think I have seen $30-40 a month average for many people. I am not sure though, we have never had internet at TV home.

netflix must have gone up in price. When we use to have it it was maybe $8 a month. We opted for neither cable or netflix. We just rent from library and watch movies ect.

I would try to lower the internet and cell phone bills. Trying calling, say you are wanting to lower bill and thinking of switchin ect ect. Never hurts to try. Otherwise, maybe compare to other providers.

anyways, ours is just $70 total a month. Just cell phones.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:20 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,557,499 times
I have an Ooma for the house with 4 phones. Cost with premium service $14.85 (Can just get reg. service for $4.95)
One smart phone with only 100 minute talk time, but 5 GB data and unlimited texts. $35-no tax T-Mobile
One T-mobile flip phone with 1000 minutes talk for $100 a year.
Netflix for $8.00 mo.
50 MB High Speed Internet through Cox $67. mo
Amazon Prime at about $8.00 mo.

Total $141.45

Old 10-23-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I have an Ooma for the house with 4 phones. Cost with premium service $14.85 (Can just get reg. service for $4.95)
One smart phone with only 100 minute talk time, but 5 GB data and unlimited texts. $35-no tax T-Mobile
One T-mobile flip phone with 1000 minutes talk for $100 a year.
Netflix for $8.00 mo.
50 MB High Speed Internet through Cox $67. mo
Amazon Prime at about $8.00 mo.

Total $141.45
So here's an update on the plan for what we are going to do for phones as well as:

$85 cell phones
$65 Internet
$49.99 Streaming cable

$200 a month. Good? Bad?

Old 10-23-2015, 11:43 PM

8,376 posts, read 7,362,552 times
Our Internet we get for $23 per month for 1 year, and was advised by Internet provider to call in after a year and get another sale about this price.

2 Cell phones. We don't text, or use for internet and use land line for most calling so get by for $100 per year per phone prepaid which makes it $16.67 for cell phones.

Land Line, $45 year including tax. Unlimited service with lots of bells and whistles included. That is $3.75 monthly for land line. NetTalk Voip (internet service) works as well and sounds better than the regular service we discontinued.

$23.00 Internet
16.67 Cell Phones
3.75 Land Line
----------------------
$43.35 Month

Down from $225.00 Month year ago when we included Cable T.V. plus regular land line, and regular Cell Phone Service. We sat down one day and figured what we watched and used the phones, and Internet and said "To Heck With It" after we found we could save over $180 per month which is $2,160 per month, and we have a lot more fun for that $2,160 than spending too much our phones and entertainment. A nice weeks vacation as an example. In other words we wasted $18,000 in the past 8 plus years in Montana we no longer spend.

No Cable, as we do not like much of what is on T.V. today, and can watch TV News and many shows a day to a week after on regular T.V., etc., and Movies including brand new ones for FREE over the Internet. We have found 25 sites that we have a choice of thousands of movies, we can watch what we want for Free, without any registration and use those instead of Cable. Includes brand new movies often available before they show up on Net Flick or Hulu, and long before they may ever show up on paid T.V. providers.

I know quite a few people that have made the change, now we have showed them the way.

Kelly Blue Book says there are 10 cool cars under $18,000. In other words I blew the cost of a new car which would have been a great Graduation Present for one of my grand daughters graduating from University Of California this last June, on these charges I did not need to spend.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:21 AM

9,064 posts, read 9,217,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslander21 View Post
So here's an update on the plan for what we are going to do for phones as well as:
$85 cell phones
Your previous post you had $110 for two cell phones with Verizon ($20 per phone + $60/ 6 GB). Did you reduce to 3GB for $45 or did you change companies?

DS6511-4A - VTech® Cordless Phones
Instead of a "landline" or a wireless phone that stays at home or OOMA, I suggest a one time purchase of $80 for four handsets that can be used around the home to connect to your mobile phones. The idea is that when you bring your phones home for the evening you plug them in to recharge them within about 10 feet of the base set. Then your handsets will ring throughout the home and let you answer or make calls while your mobile handsets are recharging. It works with up to two mobile phones. In the future if you want a third backup line, the Vtechphones can be hooked up to OOMA or some other VOIP service and they will handle all three lines.

http://sale.totalwireless.com/?utm_source=IMM&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=DR&utm _content=google&utm_term={keyword}
For cellular phones you are paying for the best network, and 4G LTE data. If you can live with less than Total Wireless will still use the Verizon network, but two 3G phones will only cost you $60 total for 5 GB.
Keep in mind that 3G data is considerably slower than 4G.

Internet you can't cut down on.

Television you can always watch Netflix. But Time Warner Cable is experimenting with an internet delivery of the full basic cable line up. They are giving away a Roku 3.0 box, and you get basic cable plus Showtime and Starz for $50/month to start. I can't imagine you will get Showtime and Starz for very long for that price, but I haven't seen the full offer.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:05 AM

11,304 posts, read 5,834,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Television you can always watch Netflix. But Time Warner Cable is experimenting with an internet delivery of the full basic cable line up.
I work for a company that makes TV set-top boxes and cable modems. It's not just an experiment. All cable video will be IP streaming video in a few years. They need to toss the legacy video distribution system into the dumpster so they can free up the spectrum to deliver gigabit internet service to the home using DOCSIS 3.1 technology. All the cable companies are worried that Google Fiber is going to put them out of business. They're already seeing huge erosion in their video product. Cable companies are changing their business model to become internet service providers who are trying to sell you add-on products like video, phone, and home alarm/automation systems. The content providers are starting to sell directly to end-users. It won't be long before you can stream your favorite sporting events and television shows for a *cough* modest *cough* fee. ESPN just had a big layoff. People are dropping cable video and it's impacting their revenues. ESPN is the single largest content provider and gets about $6.00 per cable subscriber for their content. If they're having layoffs, everybody is feeling the pain.

The satellite broadcasters have an extremely bleak outlook since internet video is crushing them. DirectTV just sold themselves to AT&T. AT&T is now a cellular company that has a little bit of a wireline phone business and satellite TV business that are both slowly dying.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:04 AM

I feel good about $200 a month. I wish I could go lower but the two ISPs are basically the same price and people switch each year for the better price. My wife and I agree with no landline. She wants cable shows live so Playsyation Vue is our choice for that. Hope it's as good as people are saying otherwise that $50 extra a month will be tough to swallow.

I have us budgeted as $400 a month for groceries hopefully far less. We have yet to move out yet of her parents home so we don't know if we'd hit it or be under it.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:53 AM

9,064 posts, read 9,217,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslander21 View Post
I feel good about $200 a month. I wish I could go lower but the two ISPs are basically the same price and people switch each year for the better price. My wife and I ...
I have us budgeted as $400 a month for groceries hopefully far less. We have yet to move out yet of her parents home so we don't know if we'd hit it or be under it.
I am assuming your age is 21 from your forum name. IMHO, your generation attaches way too much importance to cell phones and data on the fly. By some calculations data from cell towers costs an average of 40-45 as much as data on wi-fi.

Free cell phone service from Scratch Wireless.
Scratch Wireless allows you to purchase their own phones for $100 and gives you free texting via cellular at all times. But if you use wifi for talking and data the cost is ZERO per month. If you need cell for voice for the day it is $2 a day. Similarly if you need 50 MBs of data over 24hr it costs $2. Free WiFi is available at grocery stores, and fast food (Panera, Burger King, McDonalds, etc), and almost always at least one place in every strip mall. Texts can be used to pass simple information.

Start by using free streaming video. Or pay for Netflix and HBO. See if you can get your news from websites.

The blutooth connected home phone handsets allow you to comfortably recharge your cell phones and still have home telephone service without running around the house to where you are recharging.

You can easily get your connection monthly fees below $100. Have some fresh food for dinner more often, it is a much healthier way to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living