Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 03:49 PM

32,773 posts, read 36,000,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I've known quite a few people who went through the GD, just like my parents did. In terms of today, they were extremely frugal, but the truth also is that there wasn't the vast amount of toys and entertainment that people have today. No cable, No TV, smart Phones or internet. They had few clothes and they didn't travel much. She said her dad had a car but walked to work, so they pretty much only drove the car on Sunday to church. They walked to the local grocery store and the kids walked to school. So in today's terms, they just lived a minimalist lifestyle. Entertainment was the radio or card games, or visiting family.

The strangest money saving thing I heard from the GD is what they did for little girls clothes. The farmers purchased chicken feed that came in cotton sacks, that were decorated with pretty patterns. When the sacks were empty, the mothers could cut them up and turn them into chicken sack dresses for the little girls. Now that's being thrifty.

I also just remember that my mom said that they had a local man that went around and collected old rags, that were about to be thrown out. What he did with them, she didn't know, but recycling rags is something you just don't hear about.
Here's an article about feed sacks: History of the 1930's Feedsack Fabric

I don't know if my grandmother made clothing, but it's not too hard to make an apron. Aprons were important. Washing clothing was quite a chore and everything had to be ironed. Your clothes wear out faster, too. That's not good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 04:16 PM

10,103 posts, read 19,308,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

I don't know if my grandmother made clothing, but it's not too hard to make an apron. Aprons were important. Washing clothing was quite a chore and everything had to be ironed. Your clothes wear out faster, too. That's not good.
I remember watching my Grandmother using "manual irons"? whatever to call them, the kind you heat on the stove, not plugin. She had the rhythm down pat, several different sizes, how long to leave each on the stove for which type fabric, she had a mean set of arm muscles! "Plug in" irons were available then I'm not that old but she said why pay the electric? She combined ironing with cooking, baking, etc There's multi-tasking!

Old 11-13-2015, 04:20 PM

4,171 posts, read 3,362,743 times
Quote:

Great article. Thanks!

Old 11-13-2015, 04:22 PM

My dad lacked a winter coat and wrapped up in a horse blanket to walk to school. Uphill both ways

The horseblanket story is true, I learned that from other family members, he was ashamed of that story. He would hide it under a tree before going in to the school. Oh, BTW, he graduated salutatorian of his HS class, back in the Depression. What lesson did he bring from that? Never give up, you can do anything you set your mind to doing!

Today's kids think everything is supposed to be handed to them, or they just give up....I think the Depression produced the Greatest Generation because back then it was do-or-die. Now its give up before you start....get on some government program that makes up for what life didn't hand you.

Last edited by MaryleeII; 11-13-2015 at 04:33 PM..

Old 11-13-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I remember watching my Grandmother using "manual irons"? whatever to call them, the kind you heat on the stove, not plugin. She had the rhythm down pat, several different sizes, how long to leave each on the stove for which type fabric, she had a mean set of arm muscles! "Plug in" irons were available then I'm not that old but she said why pay the electric? She combined ironing with cooking, baking, etc There's multi-tasking!
My grandmother had a drop side toaster and a wringer washer. She wasn't supposed to have a washing machine in her apartment, but the old wringer could be filled from the tub faucet. She had an electric iron. I'm sure someone bought it for her because she wouldn't have spent the money for something that fancy.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
My grandmother had a drop side toaster and a wringer washer. She wasn't supposed to have a washing machine in her apartment, but the old wringer could be filled from the tub faucet. She had an electric iron. I'm sure someone bought it for her because she wouldn't have spent the money for something that fancy.

I'll bet her clothes always looked great, too!

Old 11-13-2015, 10:25 PM

374 posts, read 489,454 times
Quote:
My dad lacked a winter coat and wrapped up in a horse blanket to walk to school. Uphill both ways

The horseblanket story is true, I learned that from other family members, he was ashamed of that story. He would hide it under a tree before going in to the school. Oh, BTW, he graduated salutatorian of his HS class, back in the Depression. What lesson did he bring from that? Never give up, you can do anything you set your mind to doing!
Beautiful Post MaryLee! Thanks for sharing.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:50 PM

26,637 posts, read 28,452,188 times
I enjoyed the link about the flour sacks. I never knew that they came in prints and that people made clothing out of them. I still have an old quilt that my grandmother made and one side is white flour sacks with the name of the flour company on them. The other side is made from patches from her kids' clothing.

I remember my great aunt, when she saw the quilt, stated that the green squares where from one of her old dresses. (She would have been a child before the Depression.)

Old 11-14-2015, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I enjoyed the link about the flour sacks. I never knew that they came in prints and that people made clothing out of them. I still have an old quilt that my grandmother made and one side is white flour sacks with the name of the flour company on them. The other side is made from patches from her kids' clothing.

I remember my great aunt, when she saw the quilt, stated that the green squares where from one of her old dresses. (She would have been a child before the Depression.)
There are some things which money can't buy, and the quilts and such are some of them. Finally, finally one of my nieces is having a baby in January. I'm giving her the things that my mother knit for my baby. Grandmother-in-law crocheted a lovely crib blanket which I'll give to her, too. I hope she at least likes them.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:11 AM

Quote:
I'll bet her clothes always looked great, too!
She always looked good, and she smelled nice, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living