Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 09:01 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I think they are cute. Some of them are really well designed. But they are cramped and they have no storage. It's hard to be frugal if you have no storage and have to buy everything you need on the day that you need it.

You can buy a travel trailer for a lot less money and have the same space and a well thought out floor plan.

I don't see you having more space then a tiny home, in a tiny home (if designed right) you can get a lot of storage space out of it. Unless you rip out everything in a RV & redo it your going to be stuck with the floor plan. However it does depends on the size of the RV & the tiny home in question. My wife wanted a older Airstream but never found one with enough storage, not to mention it wasn't wide enough. With two dogs & two cats even a 38Ft RV was too small for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 01:00 PM

112 posts, read 103,376 times
I think they are a great idea!!!
But you have to look at the bigger picture...like where will you park it...what are the requirements..
also some have been stolen or vandalized...

Old 12-28-2015, 09:20 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,191,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerciChoi View Post
I think they are a great idea!!!
But you have to look at the bigger picture...like where will you park it...what are the requirements..
also some have been stolen or vandalized...
Amazon.com: Trimax TWL100 Ultra-Max Adjustable Wheel Lock: Automotive

I use one of these

Old 12-28-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Are these homes truly frugal living? I am looking at some on Facebook. Looks like something interesting for retirement. I don't know if it makes more sense to own the land the tiny home is on or rent. Obviously, I need to learn more about frugal living and would like to learn more on this thread.

are you talking about the ones on wheels

Old 12-29-2015, 12:36 AM

ok so here we go. I live in a tiny house on wheels since I travel for work. mines 179 sq ft and the cost was over 100k I could have bought a real SB house for that in some areas!! but I enjoy the mobile lifestyle and if I don't like my neighbors then I can put the key in and go!! I got tired of paying 2,500 a month in rent and getting nothing out of it !!! I have all of the creature comforts of a real SB house bath tub washer and dryer mini split AC unit residential fridge dishwasher convection microwave and an induction cook top and a solar setup with a battery bank and inverter so that helps save on the lights. there are a few downsides to em. mine requires an F350 dually to tug it around so expect horrible fuel economy. most of them don't have no grey and black water tanks because the trailer is so low ( composting potties are an option additional cost )!! not my thing!!! my lot rent is $ 250.00 a month plus lights wich hasn't been over $ 20.00 a month vs the $ 300.00 a month I was paying in a 1200 SQ FT apt!!! and some states require a CDL to tug one around like commieforina if it's over 10,000 lbs I think!! I am mortgage free I just pay for my lot rent lights insurance fuel and everyday things like internet cell phone plus entertainment. I am saving a ton of money!! another down fall to consider is it will depreciate over time as well. as well as another down fall is that not all rv parks are accepting of them because they don't match in with there scheme and they will throw you out!! they do have maps for tiny home parking google is a persons best friend. be prepared to get strange looks going down the road to . and if I ever want to settle down and buy a pice of land I can jack mine up and tie it down and take the wheels off and hook it up to electric and water and sewer but that's one more expence.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:35 PM

oh and there's no property taxes unlike a SB house just registration fees that's it

Old 12-30-2015, 05:38 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post

Wed need a tiny home for the kitchen ,one for an extra guest room,one for the laundry/bathroom and one for storage. With walkways and such it shouldn't be too bad. Also a wrap around deck. 6 tiny homes at $40000= $32,000
This math is a little suspect. I think you mean $4,000, not $40,000 but even then your math is off... 32 is not evenly divisible by 6

Old 12-30-2015, 05:48 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
There's a plant on the wood stove.
it's probably summer, the door is wide open.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:50 PM

983 posts, read 1,054,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I don't see you having more space then a tiny home, in a tiny home (if designed right) you can get a lot of storage space out of it. Unless you rip out everything in a RV & redo it your going to be stuck with the floor plan. However it does depends on the size of the RV & the tiny home in question. My wife wanted a older Airstream but never found one with enough storage, not to mention it wasn't wide enough. With two dogs & two cats even a 38Ft RV was too small for us.
I have seen a lot of wasted space in tiny homes. RVs make better use of their space, imho. They have overhead bunks/cupboards, dinettes with storage under the seats. Perhaps tiny home designers should visit RV manufacturers and ask them to do the interiors for their buildings.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:21 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
I have seen a lot of wasted space in tiny homes. RVs make better use of their space, imho. They have overhead bunks/cupboards, dinettes with storage under the seats. Perhaps tiny home designers should visit RV manufacturers and ask them to do the interiors for their buildings.
I've seen some very good plans, layouts online. They were all large for tiny homes and I assume the owner designed the space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living