Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 10:10 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I think surrounding myself with beautiful works of art is an essential part of life.

Nothing wrong with buying things that make you feel good, and that make a house your home.
Agreed.
I have original art for that reason.
Some are cheaper...couple hundred bucks, local artist(s).
Some are more expensive, internationally known artist(s) (ie, require their own insurance).
Some are things I have done myself.
Some are family heirlooms.
Some are pieces from world travel.

Nice mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 10:38 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,439,623 times
I've sold a lot of art for a wide range of prices. When I began making bas reliefs ( 3-D on a flat surface) they were so time consuming my price went up. A few were sold, but mostly they decorated my home and the homes of my children. A few months ago, after deciding to put some into an exhibit where I didn't have to pay a commission, I lowered my prices somewhat and sold everything. It was a big surprise. Several were sold to the same person.

Friends often admire my work, but they don't buy. More than likely, they want me to give them art and on a very few occasions, I have.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:28 PM

56 posts, read 46,927 times
I love the beauty of art. I own prints from etsy, indie shops and society 6. I can't imagine ever spending money on expensive art. Especially pretentious art from a fancy art gallery or Anthropologie. I would rather support indie artists.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:05 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,299 times
We are artists that have 95% of our own work on the wall and rarely buy others artworks. However we inherited a large lithograph that we like and spent money to frame well. We know my spouses grandmother bought it in NYC so it connects us to her family and we'll leave it to a descendant on that side of the family.

The number of people who purchase original art is very small, ask any visual artist trying to make a living. Most people are happy with an inexpensive copy of original art. But it's true (as mentioned in an earlier post) the framing can cost 10X the art cost haha.

I personally dislike any art that needs matting, mounting and glass (great expense to frame) but that may be because I'm an oil painter. Much less expensive to frame oil paintings especially when you DIY.

I've seen many excellent artists and enjoy their work. Some people are born to be art buyers and others are born to be artists. Some rich artists can be both.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:22 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I'm married to an art professor whose mother was a professional painter so most of what we have on the walls was done 'in house' with only painful framing costs involved. (Even if you DIY the framing, it's stil lnot cheap.)

We do have one nice print from outside the family that we spent $200 we didn't have for back in grad school that's appreciated nicely in theory over the years, (it's the original run of the most widely recognized work from one of the big players in late 20th century printmaking) but if you don't live in a major art market area, it's a bit awkward to sell it for what it's allegedly worth. So it remains in our dining area overlooking the cat food bowls.
Honestly, we have always bought original art by local artists, many of the artists are in museums, and have had commercial success. As we have moved, and our tastes have changed, we have tried to sell some paintings or fine art prints, and never have we found a place to sell it where we would get at least what we paid for it. Galleries are not interested in reselling, and at local auctions, people only want a bargain.

As to the original question, I don't think anything that gives us joy is a waste of money.
Your best bet is to contact an auction house in a large city. If you email them a picture and description, many will give you an evaluation. They are in the business of making money, so if they think your item will be worth their time, they'll work with you.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:38 AM

420 posts, read 704,284 times
I don't mind spending money on art, just not an excessive amount. I do kind of get twitchy spending money on custom framing, which can oftenjust be as or more expensive than the art piece.

That being said, we have been fortunate in that all of our art has either been passed down or made by someone in our family. I do have a collection of event cards and post cards that I framed. I also found a very cool cover from a free local magazine that I framed, and it looks ah-mazing. I think so far we have spent less than $40 on art.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:33 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Who Needs Art? - The Foremen | Lyrics | AllMusic

Old 11-24-2015, 08:25 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,532 times
art, music, candles, healthy- farm fresh food..... all of this is as necessary as air for the passionate life. I've said it at least 100 times: being frugal does not equate with being cheap. I negotiate major purchases aggressively and save regularly so that we can better afford the experiences or items that are important to our quality of life. Those experiences/things are going to be different for each individual. Art is more than "decoration" in our home. It evokes warm emotions and feelings of connectedness (my mom and I shared a love of Van Gogh and every time I appreciate a VG print, I feel connected to my mom). I am a sensitive person and I surround myself with the colors, sounds, smells, textures and tastes that are special to me (and my husband). La Bella Vida!!!

Old 11-25-2015, 06:04 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,099,871 times
Frugality is about not wasting money senselessly.

It is about getting good value out of our money.

Art or antiques that resonate with our personal taste and which enhance our sense of wellbeing are a sensible, mature, responsible expenditure.

If I can save $10 a week just by buying store brand frozen vegetables -- when they are every bit as good as the name brand, and the name brand would not enhance my life at all -- then after a couple of years of that, I have $1,000 I can spend on something that I do get benefit from.

If nothing catches my eye within that time period as something that would greatly enhance my life, then I can just let the "frozen vegetable savings money" build up until something does. And something usually does.

Besides, if our tastes change over the decades, then we can usually sell our works of art and antiques at a profit, or at least having kept the investment protected from inflation.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:39 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Not frugal is it? to spend money on art -- I'm mean a person could make their own art.

Anyone technically CAN paint. And art technically might even be considered LESS "functional" than other items.

So how do you feel about spending money on art...a waste of money?

I've always been torn about spending money on art, although I've seen some beautiful pieces I've loved.
But something in me just can't justify spending money on it.

I'm not talking about Piccasos, Modigliani, or Degas' that are expected to increase in value. I mean a nice original painting....I've seen several at artists' shows or festivals that' I've thought were gorgeous. Some were only hundreds of dollars...heck some were less than $100.

Over the decades 'Im talking about total -- maybe - 50-60 pieces. I might have bought.

But I just couldn't do it....that 200.00 or even that 100.00 is money I could save for retirement -- or even spend on something else....like a few sushi dinners.

I rationalize by telling myself I can appreciate art...without owning it.
If it's a budgeted item well within your means, it's fine. I got a great painting at a flea market in Rio that hangs above my couch and I love it. I paid almost nothing for the painting, but the custom frame was expensive...but I love the painting and the frame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living