U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 08:06 PM

898 posts, read 655,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Other than the kerosene, of course.
Yeah, but, I can always crack a window. I just love the ambience of kerosene lanterns.

I do have some non-CFL bulbs so I'm not totally in the dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 10:22 PM

150 posts, read 264,520 times
At the moment I still have a pretty happy mix of incandescent, cfl, and led. But the plan for now is, when a bulb burns out, it gets replaced with an led. I just can't justify changing over all at once.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:11 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,012,544 times
I attended a CLE seminar on local utility regulation and generation, and how the law has changed in the past few years (it has favored deregulation of suppliers). At the end of which, the speaker had a big bag of goodies... mostly CFL's with the utility's name on the box. Nobody wanted them, so I took like 15 of them home.

Unfortunately they're only 800 lumens, which means their utility is limited to me... a few standalone fixtures, over the oven, etc. I won't be concerned about buying more for years.

That said, if I buy light bulbs, I buy LED's.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:33 AM

8,989 posts, read 7,079,711 times
Those of you who are using and love LED bulbs, if you notice more static on your radios than normal, it just might be your LEDs! The American Radio Relay League has noted and notified the membership that many of the less expensive LED bulbs emit copious amounts of RF (radio frequency) energy that can and do interfere with radio reception.
Just another thing to think about....

Old 11-28-2015, 11:48 AM

2,543 posts, read 3,745,734 times
The other problem with some LED's is that if you have "CLEAN" power as that supplied by a inverter there is a tendency for them to hum real loud. They work fine at our grid house, but not the solar house!! I have had to return about HALF the LED's I buy for this reason.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:46 PM

11,315 posts, read 5,839,816 times
Like a few others in this thread, I refused to use CFL. The lights that are on the most are LED. My electric bill isn't my issue. My primary expense is heat.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:16 AM
bUU

11,699 posts, read 8,161,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
... mostly CFL's with the utility's name on the box. Nobody wanted them, so I took like 15 of them home. ... I won't be concerned about buying more for years.
Rolling back to my earlier concerns about safety (with regard to one bulb breaking and its impact on the seven pound pet that may be in the room). Imagine how much more dangerous a stock of 15, or 30, or 45 CFLs would be should a shelf above where they're stored break and that stock of CFL bulbs are substantially damaged. It's a low probability event, true, but it is far more damaging if it does occur.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:29 PM

6,166 posts, read 3,251,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
When you transitioned from incandescent bulbs to CFLs, did you do it all at once, or did you let the incandescents burn out before replacing them?

It's a question of frugality vs needing to keep up with the latest innovations ASAP.

I've got a friend who has a healthy struggle with OCD, meaning he is VERY particular & anxious about every little detail, but it's not quite bad enough to be considered a "disorder."

He's unusually verbal & active about replacing every incandescent he still comes across...he has taken care of all his family's lights in all their houses.

The last two rooms in his own house that give him anxiety are the kitchen & bedroom because:

1) the old incandescents are still going strong;
2) he's so particular about energy efficiency & frugality that he can't even bring himself to turn those incandescent lights on in the first place!
3) if he rarely turns them on, they'll never burn out!
4) if they never burn out, he'll never get to put in the CFLs that he bought months ago!

So, on second thought, maybe he does have a disorder. But he's so darn cute.
When they burn out. It's wasteful to throw something away when it works.

I've moved on to LEDs, now. Again, I did a trial with only one, when I had a coupon. I liked it. Then I had to get a small bedside lamp, and found an LED one for cheap. I love it.

I'll replace others when they burn out, and they will. An LED may never burn out, if it's not left on all the time. They last for decades.

I wouldn't replace bulbs in other people's houses. That's not being frugal. Plus some people don't like CFLs or LEDs.

I don't think replacing bulbs makes much difference electricity wise. It has made no difference that I notice in my bills. But it does extend the life of a bulb dramatically. I have CFLs in closets. Some that have been in the lesser used closets have been there for 30 years and still going strong. My porch light, a yellow CFL, which is left on all night every night, has been there for years. Before, I'd have to change an incandescent every year, I think.

LEDs look much better, IMO. They also are easier on the eyes, particularly dog's eyes. They also last longer. They are pricey, but less so than they were.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:07 AM
bUU

11,699 posts, read 8,161,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
It's wasteful to throw something away when it works.
That may be true of light bulbs but it is definitely not true generally. We replaced our working HVAC systems (we live in Atlanta, so we have one for each floor) in August. For weeks prior to the replacement, we used between 60 and 85 kWh per day. Starting with the day after the replacement, we were using between 25 and 40 kWh. You can nurse an HVAC system for quite a while, but at some point the cost of repair and the difference in efficiency conspire to make replacement of something that works the more cost effective choice, and throw in the cost to society of the energy wasted, and that break-even point is pulled up very substantially.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:20 AM

8,880 posts, read 15,628,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Those of you who are using and love LED bulbs, if you notice more static on your radios than normal, it just might be your LEDs! The American Radio Relay League has noted and notified the membership that many of the less expensive LED bulbs emit copious amounts of RF (radio frequency) energy that can and do interfere with radio reception.
Just another thing to think about....
"Might" is the key word here. My LEDs are about 10 feet from one radio and about 14 feet from another, I don't experience any hum on either one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living