U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 02:33 PM

46 posts, read 26,484 times

Advertisements

First world problems are real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 08:58 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,433,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
We have a Roku. Very little is free, most needs monthly subscriptions to use. We live in a rural area so unfortunately, we only have one provider to choose from.

I just lost 1/3 of my income and we were already in a tight budget. We need extreme savings at this point.
It's a healthy exercise for anyone to periodically go through the budget to eliminate any waste. When you have a "critical" budget need, usually it helps to generate additional income instead of stressing about cutting budget times with minimal impact..... If either you or your spouse/partner have talents or hobbies that could generate additional income, that is a perfect place to start. Photography, crafts, cooking/baking..... If your hobbies can't generate income, you could look at low cost side work options....grass cutting, cleaning service, etc... as a part time income generator.

Wishing you good luck.......

Old 02-24-2016, 09:03 PM

24,736 posts, read 26,803,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So the preschooler runs your home?
Cut the cable, internet, cell phones and any other luxury items and keep the trash pick up so you are not stealing from others who pay to have their trash picked up.
^^This...

The preschooler would "die" without cable. Seriously? That's a bad sign right there. Preschoolers don't know what's best for them. That's what parents are for.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:04 PM

538 posts, read 344,501 times
Do you qualify for food stamps? If not, you can still utilize your local food bank. Many of them also give out toilet paper, soap, toothpaste, etc. You might also check with your utility company to find out how to get assistance with your gas and electric bill. Do you bake? There are now cottage laws in many states where you can sell baked goods from your home with no special licensing or kitchen equipment. Someone mentioned making money off of your hobby. I love making jewelry and I sell it for a nice profit. Can you rent out a room? I doubt that you have an extra room, but have you considered renting out your own bedroom and bunking with the kids until you get through this rough period?

Tough situations do not have easy solutions, but I truly believe that you can get through this and eventually truly prosper. I hope things get better soon.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:59 AM

33,046 posts, read 20,726,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
How about you live in a house where the city picks up the trash?

I did that once. Eight people in the house. Trash pickup every other week. Trash containers come in three sizes with a quarterly fee for trash pickup. Landlord chose the smallest container and the lowest cost. Never enough room in that container.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living