U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2015, 09:54 PM

920 posts, read 597,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I have flunked out of college a few times. I am too old, too busy and lack the ambition for school work. Income has to come from a skill. I do office work like accounting and purchasing.

I have been looking for a roommate to rent a room for awhile. I have to be careful with the kids. I can't just let anyone move in. I do pet sit for friends and family but do not get paid. I tried advertising for paid sitting and got no responses.
We rented out the side of our home once to a man with a trailer. He was provided with water and internet. He used the garage alot too for working out which was perfectly fine with us. It worked out great! We charged him $175 per month. It didn't cost us any more for internet since my husband put a linksys router which had some program on it, in the garage.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 09:58 PM

920 posts, read 597,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The highlighted above is exactly what she said which is NOT saying "it's better than burning", what it
IS saying is that it is okay to break the law and steal services that other's pay for.

So you both think stealing from others is fine.....
I do not think twisting peoples stories isn't funny. Nor making false accusations as you do. You are dishonest.

You've bolded a sentence while ignoring the portions you refused to bold. Of course she said it is better than burning trash

And again, it is better than burning trash.

Don't burn trash. Find another way to dispose of it.... even if it's trespassing and using a dumpster of a business or multi-housing complex..

Old 11-27-2015, 06:12 PM

248 posts, read 150,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Netflix was an issue with working properly and did not show recent shows and sports.
Maybe it's just me, but I've never understood this as an issue. If you don't have cable in the first place then you have no idea what new movies are out anyway (and there's always Redbox if you just have to get brand new DVDs, still cheaper than cable). Sports has got to be about the only reason why cable even exists. I love watching college football and pay for cable during the season, then cut it off right after the championship. This also keeps me on the intro rate, since every season I'm a new customer. I got my own DVR years ago, but it still costs $70 a month just to watch football. I see this as the luxury that it is, and if I was to cut expenses further it'd be the first thing to go.

On a sidenote, not sure if someone already mentioned it and I didn't notice, but Hulu can be watched for free and has a LOT of TV shows. Sure you have to sit through a few ads if you're doing the free Hulu, but you have to with cable anyway (and pay $70 a month to watch those ads ).

Last edited by happygeek; 11-27-2015 at 06:23 PM..

Old 11-28-2015, 09:46 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,192,166 times
can you get over the air tv with an antenna? that's what I do.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:46 AM

8,880 posts, read 15,628,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't pay for trash service. More than 1/2 the "garbage" that comes out of my house is recycle, which I drive to the dump and drop off for free.
I've found that most weeks I'll fill one of the three 1/3 yard recycle containers at my building in a week, while dropping a half-full 8-gallon trash bag in my trash container every other week.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck paying for trash because the city I live in sold it's soul to the devil a few years ago when none of the city officials closely read the 10-year contract the trash hauler put in front of them. So I'm paying $15 a month for pickup rather than $8 to dump it at the transfer station whenever my container gets full which would probably take a couple of months.

On the other hand, the recycling pickup is part of the trash service so that saves me making a trip to the recycle center once a week. So I don't get too worked up about it.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:18 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowin View Post
why have kids before you have enough money to raise them properly (ie, master's degree, all private schooling, from kindergarten on)?
Hahaha!
Seriously.... masters degree and private schooling?
Not necessary at all to have and properly raise children.

Odd that you think it is!

Old 11-30-2015, 07:08 AM

6,908 posts, read 3,738,461 times
My resume has been updated and I am applying to higher paying jobs. I feel good. Hopefully I can find a better paying job and escape the micromanaging/ bullying boss at the same time.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:11 PM

9 posts, read 5,763 times
A few things I do that may help on expenses.......With laundry rather than use the dryer, I hang the clothes on drying racks and put in our basement to dry...I make my own laundry soap...I found the recipe on the internet...just google it.....I also use vinegar in a Downey ball rather than buy the dryer sheets...or you could cut the laundry detergent in half, which works to clean clothes just as good....also cut the dryer sheets in two or even three, and cut laundry costs....

Old 12-03-2015, 11:58 AM

15,736 posts, read 11,744,086 times
yes, hang your laundry.
Don't vaccuum if you don't have carpet, use a broom.

Burning trash is illegal here and you cannot cancel trash service but you can downgrade to a smaller can. Doesn't really make much of a difference though.

Limit your water usage - 3 minute showering. Turn it off during teeth brushing. Turn the lights off when you are not in the room. Turn everything off that doesn't need to be ON.

I have virgin mobile for my cell phone - $30/month. Unlimited text and data.

Share your WIFI with your neighbor.
Buy clothes at goodwill - they often have really cool stuff.
Don't turn the heater on 24/7

Old 12-03-2015, 12:04 PM

6,908 posts, read 3,738,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
yes, hang your laundry.
Don't vaccuum if you don't have carpet, use a broom.

Burning trash is illegal here and you cannot cancel trash service but you can downgrade to a smaller can. Doesn't really make much of a difference though.

Limit your water usage - 3 minute showering. Turn it off during teeth brushing. Turn the lights off when you are not in the room. Turn everything off that doesn't need to be ON.

I have virgin mobile for my cell phone - $30/month. Unlimited text and data.

Share your WIFI with your neighbor.
Buy clothes at goodwill - they often have really cool stuff.
Don't turn the heater on 24/7
Only have a broom.

We have a well so no water expense.

Cell phone is under contract, but pretty limited due to poor coverage in the rural area.

My neighbors are elderly, donut is doubtful they have wifi. Plus we have large yards so the signals do not reach. Only mine shows up when you search for wifi on our items.

Don't really buy clothes. I find goodwill is expensive for clothes. I can do better buying off clearance racks during the off season.,but I also don't care about fashion. Shirt, jeans, boots... Nothing fancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living