Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 04:20 PM

210 posts, read 156,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Well, according to OP, she is in counseling and so are her children. Actually only one is a child, the second one is 16 or older, I believe.

All of her x boyfriends are bi-polar according to her. A previous stalker where she used to live , and now an attempted murder on her life from her son's father, but now merrily on his way to jail. Unfortunately, I got engrossed in the drama the other night. It was better than the current book I'm reading.

I do feel for her kids. If it were me, and my son's father tried to kill me, I certainly wouldn't be encouraging father involvement in my son't life. I'd want to put as much distance between them as I could. I'd want to get out of Dodge.

In spite all the drama and craziness, I wish her well, and hope if she is in fact getting counseling that it may eventually do some good, and she starts to look at her own actions as a cause and effect instead of blaming everyone else around her, and her bad luck.
Her son just turned 5 and her daughter will be turning 12 in a few weeks. It's her boyfriend that's got 2 teenagers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 04:25 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
What's that? Lowonluck, your son's father attempted to murder you?

Old 12-06-2015, 05:53 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestyn View Post
I spent a couple of years trying to talk her out of buying in that neighborhood, long before the stalker ever made an appearance. A whole group of people tried to stop her because she can't afford it. Apparently the banks agreed since she had to have her parents finance the purchase. No other neighborhood was good enough, even though there are decent houses on acreage for half the price about 90 minutes west of her neighborhood.

At this point my recommendation is still to sell the house where she is living and repay the mortgage that her parents took on their home to pay for her home. The rental is breaking even so she can keep it or sell it; it is a bit of a risk but if she can keep a good tenant it may be beneficial.

I would still recommend to move west about an hour and find a job in the city nearby. Cost of living is much lower but she should be able to make a similar salary and family will still be within an easy visit on the weekends.
I am not interested in moving. I also don't see how moving closer to DC would help with housing costs. DC is way more expensive than my county. I am also court ordered to stay in this area for custody reasons. Even if housing is cheaper in the DC area, I would be spending a fortune in gas and a good 6 plus hours on the road every week. My oldest would not move. She does not even want to sell our current house and move to another in the same town.

I am going to sell the rental and invest that money in the second house when I can.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Well, according to OP, she is in counseling and so are her children. Actually only one is a child, the second one is 16 or older, I believe.

All of her x boyfriends are bi-polar according to her. A previous stalker where she used to live , and now an attempted murder on her life from her son's father, but now merrily on his way to jail. Unfortunately, I got engrossed in the drama the other night. It was better than the current book I'm reading.

I do feel for her kids. If it were me, and my son's father tried to kill me, I certainly wouldn't be encouraging father involvement in my son't life. I'd want to put as much distance between them as I could. I'd want to get out of Dodge.

In spite all the drama and craziness, I wish her well, and hope if she is in fact getting counseling that it may eventually do some good, and she starts to look at her own actions as a cause and effect instead of blaming everyone else around her, and her bad luck.
My kids are both in counseling. They have dealt with lots of crazy so want to prevent any issues in the future.

Only one ex is bipolar. My sons father. He is my stalker. Unfortunately the court system does not share your opinion, and the judge went over CPS and ordered that visitation would resume. Judges exact words were the threat of jail should keep my ex behaving. he was locked up over a few weekends...big deal. I can't get out of dodge or I would be in contempt of the court and he would gain custody. Don't get me started on how useless and outdated the judicial system is in family court services. The courts encourage the involvement of both parents in most cases, even when they shouldn't.

My friends son was sexually abused while in his fathers care and his father still has visitation. The child cries every time he has to go. Hopefully some day the courts will stop damaging these children and just let the one good parent raise the kids.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsangel2 View Post
Her son just turned 5 and her daughter will be turning 12 in a few weeks. It's her boyfriend that's got 2 teenagers.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
What's that? Lowonluck, your son's father attempted to murder you?
He physically abused our son. Lost visitation for a bit and in his manic phase he was stalking me. He actually told our son that I was not going to live and our son would live with him. He tried to run me off the road and is now on a permanent protection order.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:15 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
He physically abused our son. Lost visitation for a bit and in his manic phase he was stalking me. He actually told our son that I was not going to live and our son would live with him. He tried to run me off the road and is now on a permanent protection order.
Wow, that's awful. I feel for you; I can't imagine having to deal with that.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:45 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I am familiar with family court and it's harsh injustices. However, typically they take measures to over protect the children and err on the side of caution when there is evidence of any possible danger. I guess the judge didn't think your x posed enough danger. Judges do make mistakes sometimes. I do understand it makes sense to keep both parents involved in the child's life when possible (and safe).

For your lack of income dilemma, I know you previously mentioned that your home is a five bedroom 2800 sq. ft, home, and I know others suggested to you that you should consider getting room mates. With the area you are in being so expensive and rents as high as you say, don't you think renting two of the bedrooms out to two single woman might add perhaps another $1000 to $1200 a month to your monthly income. If there are no apartments available in your area, even renting two rooms out to a single mom with a kid might work out for both of you.

With your employment income, room rental income, child support for child #2, and social security income from child #1, don't you think that would be sufficient to live on there? I believe I recall you saying that your x makes a very good income, and is now living with another woman, so child support should be a decent amount. Is all of this court room fighting now over child support.

Is there any particular reason why you don't pursue the room mate idea?

Last edited by modhatter; 12-06-2015 at 08:00 PM..

Old 12-09-2015, 03:40 PM

10 posts, read 7,287 times
All I saw was "attempted murder" - what in the world is going on this thread LOL!

Don't live life too frugally, you're more likely to die before you enjoy spending a little here and there.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:17 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,374 times
Quote:

Is there any particular reason why you don't pursue the room mate idea?
She probably wont pursue the room mate idea for the same reason she wont drop cable tv: the preschooler wouldnt like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living