Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 09:53 AM

8,170 posts, read 5,999,548 times

Advertisements

I need to cut expenses.

I was thinking to cancel trash service and just find so either way of disposing trash. Maybe just recycling, composting, or burning trash.

What are other things that can easily be cancelled, for a free or cheaper alternative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 09:58 AM

22,230 posts, read 47,150,952 times
Burning trash is illegal in many (if not most) towns.

I would cancel cable TV before cancelling my trash.
Can you share trash expenses with a neighbor?

Old 11-26-2015, 10:02 AM

8,170 posts, read 5,999,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Burning trash is illegal in many (if not most) towns.

I would cancel cable TV before cancelling my trash.
Can you share trash expenses with a neighbor?
The preschooler in the house would die without cable. I already cancelled Netflix.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:58 AM

4,961 posts, read 5,208,522 times
The preschooler doesn't need tv. The amount watched should be minimal. If you insist on keeping cable, find a way to get it cheaper by switching companies, getting a more basic plan, renegotiating or finding an alternative. My husband is thinking about switching us to Roku. You can also check out the local library to see what they have to offer.

Same for the cell phones, can you find a cheaper plan or cut the number of phones or switch to a more basic cell phone?

I've heard of people who find ways to recycle all of their trash through composting or taking to the free recycling drop off and then saving up all trash that can't be recycled for a big load to the dump. It doesn't work that way for us here in the city since our water, trash and recycling are all part of one bill. It might work elsewhere. Open burning is definitely illegal although often unenforced.

It's getting into winter now, but find ways to cut back on summer watering of your lawn. Find ways to cut back your electric and gas bills by turning down the thermostat and winterizing your house.

Buy less clothes and toys. One of of my neighbors is originally from China. She told me that she and her kids only have three outfits that they rotate. I had never paid attention previously. Her and the kids are always neat and clean. It's true. They do wear the same basic clothes. I bet her house is easier to keep clean than mine.

If you eat out a bunch, start eating more at home. Learn some basic meals and make those or make up some meals ahead of time and freeze them. Figure out what you need and post back. There are a lot of threads on this already, but if you have specifics you need, then go ahead and ask.

Find cheaper ways of entertaining yourself. If you live in a community, there is often free stuff to do like concerts in the park, lighted displays or whatever. Buying an ice cream cone at McDonalds is a cheaper way of eating out than eating out for an entire meal.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:00 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,952,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
The preschooler in the house would die without cable. I already cancelled Netflix.

So the preschooler runs your home?
Cut the cable, internet, cell phones and any other luxury items and keep the trash pick up so you are not stealing from others who pay to have their trash picked up.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:03 AM

983 posts, read 1,047,209 times
We just ordered a Roku. After years of having NO tv at all, this should be fun!

They have special edition Rokus on sale right now. Black Friday, only $25 with free shipping! If you hurry, you might be able to get one on line at Best Buy...quantities are limited!

But even without the $25 special, there are other Rokus that are not limited. They just cost more.

But I do agree. The preschooler doesn't need tv. In fact, s/he would be better off doing other things, like learning to enjoy books and active play.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:08 AM

983 posts, read 1,047,209 times
You could do recycling and composting - surprised you don't already do that? If you know how to compost (don't compost meat and dairy, for instance), then you are building healthy dirt, which can be used to grow inexpensive and healthy fruits and veggies.

In many places, you can cut garbage costs by only paying for the amount of garbage that you regularly have. You can choose to pay for pick up of a small can, for instance, which will cost less than a larger can. But please don't burn your trash!

Old 11-26-2015, 11:19 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,861,339 times
Why cancel Netflix and keep cable? Netflix is $7.99/mo and has TONS of shows for little kids.

I'm having to adjust to poverty after middle class living for my entire life until the last 2 yrs so I feel ya.

Some stuff I do now I never did before:

shop only at thrift stores yes you can find anything you need there except maybe a TV or computer

dropped cable except for internet; this cut the bill in HALF

dropped unlimited data from cell plan: cut bill significantly

no eating out (this was hard I used to do it 3-5Xwk)

no salon visits, all do it myself now

thermostat at 68 not 72 (winter) and rarely use air conditioning in summer

car serviced at Mom/Pop mechanic not dealer ($45/hr labor instead of $90/hr)

Old 11-26-2015, 12:13 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,609,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
In the least it ought to be the other way around.... cancel cable and use Netflix. Most the stuff on cable is garbage that can rob you of your productivity if you're not careful.

Don't burn trash. Find another way to dispose of it.... even if it's trespassing and using a dumpster of a business or multi-housing complex.. it's still a better, safer, choice than burning it. Many items are made with chemicals that are toxic and cause cancer (dioxins) and you don't want that put into the air near that preschooler.

Old 11-26-2015, 12:16 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,952,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
In the least it ought to be the other way around.... cancel cable and use Netflix. Most the stuff on cable is garbage that can rob you of your productivity if you're not careful.

Don't burn trash. Find another way to dispose of it.... even if it's trespassing and using a dumpster of a business or multi-housing complex.. it's still a better, safer, choice than burning it. Many items are made with chemicals that are toxic and cause cancer (dioxins) and you don't want that put into the air near that preschooler.

You do understand this is illegal right? If someone is caught doing this they can go to jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living