Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 02:56 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The same seller often can have several copies of the same book.
They sold the lower price ones while your title selections languished in your shopping cart.
You were getting the next lower priced ones.
Nope. That wasn't the case.

Same seller, same two old-version books. Raised price night before Good Friday.

As I said: be careful and know the item's regular price before Good Friday, so you'll know if it's a good deal ON Good Friday.

I am mistaken about some things. This isn't one of 'em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 07:50 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
I wanted to buy one of those ultra-lightweight wallets at All-ett. They wanted $19.95 on their website and shipping is free as the wallet ways less than 1/2 oz.

However I have hundreds of dollars in Amazon gift certificates. The wallet is priced at $19.95 BUT they want $6.50 for shipping it to me.

Time and time again this year, I have found that you get a lot better deals going to the manufacturer of the goods than by shopping Amazon.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:59 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,635,277 times
I spy with my little eye...

Lots of people that haven't discovered camelcamelcamel.com yet. You can go there to see price trends for Amazon, checking if the price has increased or decreased. You can also set up email alerts to notify you when the price drops below a threshold that you set.

You can save a BOATload of money this way.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:03 PM

374 posts, read 491,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
I spy with my little eye...

Lots of people that haven't discovered camelcamelcamel.com yet. You can go there to see price trends for Amazon, checking if the price has increased or decreased. You can also set up email alerts to notify you when the price drops below a threshold that you set.

You can save a BOATload of money this way.
Thank you so much you rock!!! Must go check this out. I am a mod on a major saving site and didn't know about this. Learn something new everyday.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:16 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
I have never understood Amazon pricing.

It almost seems like they use some sort of computer algorithm to auto-adjust prices.

I shop on there a lot and notice the same items drifting up and down in price. The last time I purchased an item, I clicked my back button a few minutes later to go back and read more about it after I bought it, and the price adjust up like $50.00 higher than what I just bought it for. I have tried to use their scheduled automatic purchases for certain food and household items that I like to keep stocked, but I don't like checking all the time to make sure the prices I bought it for didn't go up before the automated sale goes through the next time. I wonder if their prices auto-adjust as supply vs demand changes.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
High-volume sellers often have multiple copies of books, so your sellers might have had multiple copies with the lowest price bought up.
No, that wasn't the case. Old, unpopular version of book. Sellers (I had two "saved") had limited numbers of copies, like 2 or 3. They had newer versions of the book, probably, but I'm speaking of this old version.

One of those sellers still has one left. The price has gone back down, but not to hte pre-holiday level.

Prices frequently go up and down for a product (that exact item). Some products frequently go up or down by a few cents....it looks like they are automatically tied to an average price or another seller's price.

In this case, it was raising the price for the holidays.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
I have never understood Amazon pricing.

It almost seems like they use some sort of computer algorithm to auto-adjust prices.

I shop on there a lot and notice the same items drifting up and down in price. The last time I purchased an item, I clicked my back button a few minutes later to go back and read more about it after I bought it, and the price adjust up like $50.00 higher than what I just bought it for. I have tried to use their scheduled automatic purchases for certain food and household items that I like to keep stocked, but I don't like checking all the time to make sure the prices I bought it for didn't go up before the automated sale goes through the next time. I wonder if their prices auto-adjust as supply vs demand changes.
I think some do. I've been "saving" items for years, while thinking about whether to buy something, and I get notified every time I access the cart, as to which items' prices have changed (these are always for the same seller; if that seller no longer has the item, I get notified of that - Amazon does not substitute a different seller for the one the buyer selected).

Anyway, almost every time I access my cart, items "saved" have changed in price, often only by a few cents. Up one day by 2 cents, down the next day by 1 cent, up the next day by 3 cents, and so on. It's like there's an auto-algorythm set to change price, linked to someone else's price, or an average price.

But I mentioned this one this time because it wasn't an algorythm. It was an actual tripling of the price of an item the day before Black Friday. So if someone didn't know the regular price, they wouldn't know that's a high price.

I'm still going to buy the book. The price has gone down, now. But I haven't gotten around to ordering it yet. I don't need it right now.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:14 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I think some do. I've been "saving" items for years, while thinking about whether to buy something, and I get notified every time I access the cart, as to which items' prices have changed (these are always for the same seller; if that seller no longer has the item, I get notified of that - Amazon does not substitute a different seller for the one the buyer selected).

Anyway, almost every time I access my cart, items "saved" have changed in price, often only by a few cents. Up one day by 2 cents, down the next day by 1 cent, up the next day by 3 cents, and so on. It's like there's an auto-algorythm set to change price, linked to someone else's price, or an average price.

But I mentioned this one this time because it wasn't an algorythm. It was an actual tripling of the price of an item the day before Black Friday. So if someone didn't know the regular price, they wouldn't know that's a high price.

I'm still going to buy the book. The price has gone down, now. But I haven't gotten around to ordering it yet. I don't need it right now.
There are 3rd party tools that an Amazon seller can use to automatically re-price books but most small sellers don't use it because there generally isn't a large fluctuation in the price of books There is a seller feature to 'match low price' but it doesn't do it automatically:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200832850
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living