U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 12:02 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,513,019 times

Advertisements

Yes, whenever possible. I plan errands to optimize (minimize extraneous driving) my auto usage. I tend to grocery shop on commute home and use public transportation for majority of work commute.

It's funny how once you begin to do this (even with fluctuation of gas prices) how easy it is to do and make for a fun game to think through importance of trips to make best routes / multiple trips more efficient even when you live in a fairly urban neighborhood. The less wear on auto, coupled with more efficient use of time, is the major benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 12:10 PM

11,697 posts, read 16,443,612 times
I plan my errands if possible. Often SO takes care of things on his way home. But to draw a 25 mile radius and base friendship on it - friends are too precious and the older you get the fewer there are.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:24 PM

8,880 posts, read 15,628,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Friends that lived further than 25 minutes from me were dropped .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Wow, that is mean!! I still have all my friends in Germany and VA even though I live THOUSANDS of miles away from them since 5-10 years. I just text and email ... No need to abandon them.
That stuck out to me as well. Just because you limit the amount of time you spend with someone due to a desire not to travel is no reason to "drop" that person as a friend. My mom is 89 years old and seldom drives out of town anymore (and never more than an hour from home) but she still maintains active friendships with people all over the country by talking to them on the phone and - get this - writing letters.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:27 PM

15,572 posts, read 8,742,257 times
I limit the amount of time I drive not because of financial issues but because I truly hate being behind the wheel. Traffic is endlessly frustrating, and I feel trapped. I'd much rather walk. I laugh at car commercials where the theme is always freedom. Cars sailing down an open road without another vehicle in sight or conquering an off-road route. Uh-huh. More like wall-to-wall traffic, jerks weaving in and out of lanes, cars with music cranked up so loud you can hear it a mile away. No, thank you.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:30 PM

1,040 posts, read 695,167 times
Quote:
My car gets driven roughly 10,000 miles yearly. Living in a rural area adds up the miles steadily to run errands into and around town. Recently, I changed my priorities to limit my driving because since I'm on a fixed income, I want my car to last as long as possible. Friends that lived further than 25 minutes from me were dropped including social things I used to attend. I prefer being around my family and people that live nearby.
I had an old Mercedes years ago that I limited driving due to maint is expensive. I had it registered as a classic car and insurance was cheap. Upon renewal I noticed I only drove it around at most a few thousand a year and if I drove under 1,000 miles a year I got it cheaper. Full Insurance was theft and collision was $18 dollars a year if I drove uner 1k miles, around $49 bucks under 5k, if I went more I risked losing the policy.

I had the car 17 years, I had a few big issues with is over time and did have car painted too. So I had $10,000 in receipts over 17 years.

I bought car for $7,500 and sold it for $18,200. I got stuck one year driving it on vacation as friend bailed and same year I actually drove it every day. I disconnect odometer for $10,000 miles and reconnected it and funny it showed only 3 miles of driving that year. I stopped doing that as I was joking with broker how would they every know about something like that. And she was like if your car gets totalled in Maine fourth of July week and you live New York for instance good luck getting paid out as obviously that is bad. Within 1-20 miles of house is ok. Cars never got more than ten miles form house in last ten years I owned. it.

In the end I think I made $50 bucks after you add in cost to buy, insurance and cost to maintain over 17 years I had car.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:04 PM

8,011 posts, read 22,505,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I limit the amount of time I drive not because of financial issues but because I truly hate being behind the wheel. Traffic is endlessly frustrating, and I feel trapped. I'd much rather walk. I laugh at car commercials where the theme is always freedom. Cars sailing down an open road without another vehicle in sight or conquering an off-road route. Uh-huh. More like wall-to-wall traffic, jerks weaving in and out of lanes, cars with music cranked up so loud you can hear it a mile away. No, thank you.
Those people are most likely driving somewhere away from the coastal populations. I know when I used to regularly drive on the freeway back and forth between Boise (Idaho) and Logan (Utah) for college, which is a 300 mile drive at 75 mph, I sometimes would go 10 or 15 minutes without seeing any cars (either direction), and sometimes close to an hour without passing or getting passed by anyone going my direction. And that is on the main interstate, not some deserted country road. I hate traffic too, but I love driving out of town, where there is very little traffic to contend with, sometimes for hundreds of miles at a time.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:10 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
Quote:
My car gets driven roughly 10,000 miles yearly. Living in a rural area adds up the miles steadily to run errands into and around town. Recently, I changed my priorities to limit my driving because since I'm on a fixed income, I want my car to last as long as possible. Friends that lived further than 25 minutes from me were dropped including social things I used to attend. I prefer being around my family and people that live nearby.

My vehicle is a 2007 with 100k miles. I will keep the car until 200-250k miles.

If I am taking a cross-country trip, I rent a car with Hertz or Budget. I can generally get a car for $125 a week with unlimited miles. On my last trip of note, I drove 7,000 miles in four weeks.

If I am driving to the nearest "big city" for a weekend meeting as I do 4-5 times a year, I pick up one of those Enterprise $9.99 a day weekend rentals that give you a 100 miles each day. In other words, I am buying about 300 miles for $30.

And then there is bus travel, community vans, and public transportation. I figured that I could travel up to 65 miles one way in this county for $1.50.

Life is far too short to drop friends, families, or interests.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:41 PM

2,431 posts, read 1,796,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

Yes, true....

I still have my family & will never drop them from my life. Most of the friends I had in town/the city were acquaintances. We hardly talked via the phone or social media unless there was something going on. I have friends nearby too so it's not like I'm dropping everyone outta my life. I like chatting with people the old fashioned way, face-to-face. Not a fan of idle chatter on social media out of boredom. I need to take care of myself first before thinking of others. Sorry if that sounds selfish.

I'm a homebody by nature and value the use of my time.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:50 PM

31,165 posts, read 57,288,199 times
I'm driving less simply because I'm working from home. I don't think a trip out to my favorite farm market, or anywhere else, is too far to get what I want.

Quote:
Friends that lived further than 25 minutes from me were dropped including social things I used to attend.
Your car is more important than people? Wow.

I drive nine hours to visit friends. If I have to get the oil changed three times a year instead of two, or buy a new car a year or two sooner because of my semi-annual trips to Cincinnati, so be it. Being with friends is worth the time and money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Amen to that.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:48 AM

6,166 posts, read 3,251,225 times
Quote:
I didn't go so far as to drop friends living far away. I wouldn't do that.

But I have always, and even more so now, tried to be efficient in my driving. Stopping off for shopping on my way home from work, stopping for gas on my way to work, etc. What I mainly do is head out on an errand day and try to do all errands in that one trip.

I also try to shop near my house, which is easy for me because of my location.

I'm retired, so I put about 3k miles on my car a year. When I worked, I put about 6k a year. I also bought a gas efficient car several years ago (Honda Fit Sport). I get about 27-28mpg in town,and 35-36 on highway. Because of cheap gas now, it costs about $23 to fill up. So my gas expense is $23 a month, plus one service on my car a year (oil change and such).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or